[comp.sys.mac.system] PrintMonitor, Personal LW NT weirdness

weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) (08/07/90)

I've just taken the plunge and purchased an Apple Personal
LaserWriter NT.  So far so good, I'm very happy with the printer.

Now for my dumb question ... When I want to print using the
multipurpose tray rather than the paper cassette, I follow
instructions and select manual feed in the print dialog box and
then click "ok." Now the trouble starts. Print monitor puts up an
alert box warning me that I'm about to use the multipurpose tray --
hey, I know that. Is there some way to get the print monitor to stop
bugging me each and every time I use the multipurpose tray?

Configuration:
  Mac IIcx	system 6.0.5
		LaserWriter driver 6.0.2
		Corresponding (newest) Laserprep and PrintMonitor

Thanks in advance.
--

						Marty Weinhous

 weinhous@castor.wustl.edu		Radiation Oncology, Washington U.

rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) (08/08/90)

From article <1990Aug7.134614.2997@dinorah.wustl.edu>, by weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous):
]
] I've just taken the plunge and purchased an Apple Personal
] LaserWriter NT.  So far so good, I'm very happy with the printer.

I just got one also and am also VERY pleased with it after 2 days usage.

]
] Now for my dumb question ...
In the case of new hardware there is no such thing as a dumb question...

]
]  weinhous@castor.wustl.edu		Radiation Oncology, Washington U.

Now for MY dumb question ...:-)
How does one go about getting this printer to NOT print the startup
page (with all the printer statistics, etc.) upon powerup? There are a
number of configuration-type switches on the controller board, but the
documentation that comes with the printer gives no clues as to their
purpose (except to note that they are all set at the factory for
typical installations and should not be mucked with by the
unknowledgeable. Way to go Apple! >-( ) I know that there is some
postscipt sequence that will do the trick (although I don't know what
the sequence is) but since there is no mention of a battery for
retaining parameters across a power-down, I didn't think that that
approach would work here. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.....

.....rob coben, currently contracting to AT&T Bell Labs, homxc.att.com

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/09/90)

weinhous@dinorah.wustl.edu (Martin S. Weinhous) writes:
>I've just taken the plunge and purchased an Apple Personal
>LaserWriter NT.  So far so good, I'm very happy with the printer.

>Now for my dumb question ... When I want to print using the
>multipurpose tray rather than the paper cassette, I follow
>instructions and select manual feed in the print dialog box and
>then click "ok." Now the trouble starts. Print monitor puts up an
>alert box warning me that I'm about to use the multipurpose tray --
>hey, I know that. Is there some way to get the print monitor to stop
>bugging me each and every time I use the multipurpose tray?

Start up Print Monitor, go the the File:Preferences menu item, and select
the appropriate options.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

thomas@uplog.se (Thomas Tornblom) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug8.155903.2415@cbnewsk.att.com> rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) writes:

   Now for MY dumb question ...:-)
   How does one go about getting this printer to NOT print the startup
   page (with all the printer statistics, etc.) upon powerup? There are a
   number of configuration-type switches on the controller board, but the
   documentation that comes with the printer gives no clues as to their
   purpose (except to note that they are all set at the factory for
   typical installations and should not be mucked with by the
   unknowledgeable. Way to go Apple! >-( ) I know that there is some
   postscipt sequence that will do the trick (although I don't know what
   the sequence is) but since there is no mention of a battery for
   retaining parameters across a power-down, I didn't think that that
   approach would work here. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.....

   .....rob coben, currently contracting to AT&T Bell Labs, homxc.att.com

It ought to something like:
%-------------------
0 exitserver
statusdict begin
false setdostartpage
%-------------------

The printers either got an eeprom or a battery-backuped RAM for data
that needs to be retained between powerups.

Hope this will help

Thomas
--
Real life:	Thomas Tornblom		Email:	thomas@uplog.se
Snail mail:	TeleLOGIC Uppsala AB		Phone:	+46 18 189406

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug8.155903.2415@cbnewsk.att.com> rob@cbnewsk.att.com (rob) writes:
>How does one go about getting this printer to NOT print the startup
>page (with all the printer statistics, etc.) upon powerup?

Well, this works on the LaserWriter II NT next to me...

Pull the paper tray out. Turn on the printer and let it warm up. Push the
paper tray back in. No status page.

<chaz>

--
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."