[net.railroad] Orphaned Response

johne@haddock.UUCP (01/03/84)

#R:dciem:-58500:haddock:15300002:177600:1809
haddock!johne    Jan  2 17:47:00 1984

  The throttle of a Budd RDC operates directly on the governors of the
diesel engines, by means of solenoid-operated pilot valves within the
governors, which are (presumably) hydraulic devices.  MU is accomplished
electrically, as usual.  Each RDC has two Detroit Diesel "truck engines"
of about 300 HP; each engine drives the inboard axle (only) of the adjacent
truck through an Allison torque convertor (GM again) and conventional
gearing.
  Now, the torque convertor is a device whose intimate acquaintance I have
yet to make.  I have always envisioned it as a fluid transmission with a
continuously-variable ratio, consisting perhaps of opposing "fans" moving
within a compact and pressure-tight enclosure so designed as to allow a
finite amount of fluid to circulate other than through the vanes, thus
allowing only a finite amount of slip.  Perhaps someone can clarify this.

  On the subject of MU, it is interesting to note that while the electric
transmission itself showed up pretty early on (notably, in gas-electric
cars, precursors of the RDC), practical diesel-electric MU had to await
the development of automatic load regulation mechanisms which could match
the electric transmission with its inherent overload tolerance to the
finite power output of internal combustion prime-movers.  Early gas-electrics
had generator excitation controlled manually by the engineman; this worked
fine as long as that person was sitting next to the prime-mover and could
guage its loading by ear.  When a cab was added at the other end, however,
and the prime-mover was out of earshot, embarrassment, rather than
acceleration, was often the result of over-enthusiastic rheostat operation.

  This is a fascinating topic and I look forward to further discussions.

					      John Ewing
					      Boston, MA

johne@haddock.UUCP (01/08/84)

#R:ihuxu:-22500:haddock:15300003:000:2214
haddock!johne    Jan  6 20:03:00 1984

    The American Coal Enterprises ACE-3000, at least as described heretofore
in public, will not be a coal-electric like the uniformly unsuccessful
experimentals built in the past by UP, C&O, and N&W.
    It will instead be a "conventional" reciprocating machine, with the
refinement (developed, apparently, by Withuhn) that it will have four
cylinders, arranged in opposing pairs, at the four "corners" of the set
of driving axles.  The pistons on each side will be phase displaced
180 degrees from each other; presumably each piston will in turn be
90 degrees from its neighbor on the other side of the locomotive (as is
the case in a conventional locomotive where the right hand piston
customarily leads the other by 90 degrees, a state of affairs called
quartering).  This has two big advantages.  First, the fore-and-aft
acceleration of each piston will be counterbalanced by that of its neighbor
on the same side of the locomotive, thus the tendency of those accelerations
to cause the engine to "nose" will be eliminated.  Second, the elimination
of the need to attempt to counterbalance those accelerations by making
the driving wheel counterweights larger than ideal means that the rotating
masses of connecting rods and so forth can be counterbalanced much more
precisely.  This means that the engine will run much more smoothly on the
track at higher speeds, rather than "pounding" it as a conventionally
(not-quite-)counterbalanced locomotive can.
     I believe the prototype envisioned is a four-coupled machine (i.e.
four driving axles).  Each cylinder will drive the second driving wheel
from it, which will in turn drive the adjacent end axle by a connecting
rod.  The two center axles will be tied together by a Stephensonian
crank arrangement between the frames.
    Other innovations will, I believe, include high-tech boiler design,
the use of an on-board condenser (?), and probably MU.
    One of the designers was quoted somewhere as saying that this engine
has been designed within the weight-power-adhesion-tractive effort-etc
envelope of the contemporary GP40-2 (not a direct quote).
    It will be interesting to see the prototype in operation.

						   John Ewing
						   Boston, MA

stevel@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:avsdT:-69100:haddock:15300009:177600:470
haddock!stevel    Feb 22 12:47:00 1984

Steam Town has a Big Boy. It has run but I don't know it's
current status.  Steam Town is in the process of moving to
Scanton PA and should be open for buisness sometime late this
spring.

If anybody knows for sure when it's opening please let me know.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {ucbvax|ihnp4}!cbosgd!ima!stevel
decwrl!amd70!ima!stevel, {uscvax|ucla-vax|vortex}!ism780!stevel
Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart st, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:ihdev:-11000:haddock:15300010:177600:134
haddock!johne    Feb 23 19:11:00 1984

The 4012 is at Steamtown.  Whether that means she's in Bellows Falls or
Scranton at this moment I don't know.
					John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:decwrl:-571100:haddock:15300011:177600:515
haddock!johne    Feb 23 19:17:00 1984

   While it is not a "plan book" per se, John Armstrong's TRACK PLANNING
FOR REALISTIC OPERATION (paperback, Kalmbach) is a classic on the subject.
I don't have my copy in front of me, but if memory serves the book does
include at least one shelf type layout as an example.  With Armstrong's
advice, you ought to be able to design at least as good a layout as you will
find published in a plan book.
   I believe the book is still in print; it ought to be available at most
hobby shops.
			      John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:wivax:-1922500:haddock:15300012:177600:543
haddock!johne    Feb 27 17:54:00 1984

	Santa Fe had 2-10-10-2 Mallets running over Raton Pass.  It seems to
me that they were built of spliced conventional 2-10-2's (the "Santa Fe"
type), proved unwieldy, and were shortly rebuilt to conventional engines.
Early in this century Santa Fe was very enthusiastic about various schemes of
compounding (e.g. Mallets), but that enthusiasm apparently gave rise to
very few lasting examples of the technology.
	I'm sure there were other 2-10-10-2's out west; the Santa Fe examples
I happen to recall at the moment.
						 John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:teldata:-25100:haddock:15300013:177600:338
haddock!johne    Mar  8 18:06:00 1984

	There was, I believe, a Chicago & Alton, also known as the Alton
Route.  It was a busy railroad back then, and at one point did something
really historical, which I think was conveying the first Pullman car in one
of its trains.  I have a further vague recollection that it was ultimately
absorbed by the GM&O.
					 John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/16/84)

#R:teldata:-25100:haddock:15300015:000:350
haddock!johne    Mar 15 16:55:00 1984

	The remains of the Camden & Amboy are part of CR in central NJ.  The
line is no longer unbroken between those two points; the stretch between
Hightstown and Bordentown (more or less) has been abandoned.  The electrified
cutoff between Perth Amboy and Monmouth Junction by way of Jamesburg includes
a portion of the C & A.
				   John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/23/84)

#R:ucbvax:-28400:haddock:15300014:177600:358
haddock!johne    Mar 12 16:18:00 1984

	The U23B's went to MEC presumably because MEC has a bunch of ex-RI
GE's and it made sense to have all the U-boats on the Mellon lines running
in the same neighborhood for maintenance purposes.

	Heard a report that the GP-49's are the greatest thing since
no-flip pancakes, are capable of feats which would do an SD-40 proud.

				      John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (03/27/84)

#R:ucbvax:-28400:haddock:15300016:000:566
haddock!johne    Mar 26 17:40:00 1984

	Briefly (and without consulting a reference to be sure) it's
a 12-cylinder, turbocharged, 2800-HP, 4-axle road unit, a member of the
"50 series."  Like other current EMD's, it has sophisticated wheel-slip
control, enabling it to run continuously in the creep range (just short
of slip) where adhesion is maximized.  Thus it can use all that horsepower
at lower speeds (like an SD-40).  It has, on the other hand, four fewer
cylinders to maintain than does an SD-40, and two fewer motors.  Alaska
Railroad got the first production units.

					  John Ewing, Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (04/20/84)

#R:uiuccsb:11100015:haddock:15300017:177600:431
haddock!johne    Apr 18 18:51:00 1984

	According to this month's TRAINS Magazine (which as usual is at home,
not here with me), the B&M got 15 of the Geeps and they are straight 40's, not
Dash-2's.

	Of course, as the oldest of Dash-2's are approaching 12 years of age,
it's about time for them to start showing up as second-hand units as well!

	If I go home and find I misremembered the news item, I'll be sure to
post a correction.

							John Ewing
							Boston

johne@haddock.UUCP (06/06/84)

	I remember reading somewhere that conduit power distribution was
used in Washington primarily for reasons of appearance.

					    John Ewing
					    Boston

burton@fortune.UUCP (06/08/84)

#R:uiucdcs:-2060000800:fortune:8900010:000:627
fortune!burton    Jun  8 09:09:00 1984

< ... get poor Charlie off the MTA ... >

Boston has never maintained *anything* very well.  If you had to deal
with their labor situation (27 different crafts unions) and you could
get the Feds to kick in up to 80% of cost for new capital items, i.e.
rolling stock, you too might tend to slack off on maintenance.

The boston PCC's are 30+ years old.  Compare that with the average age
of the Boston bus fleet:  7 years.

  Philip Burton      101 Twin Dolphin Drive-MS 133
  Fortune Systems    Redwood City, CA  94065	     (415) 595-8444 x 526
			      - - -
{ihnp4 [ucbvax | decvax!decwrl]!amd70 harpo hpda }!fortune!burton

burton@fortune.UUCP (06/21/84)

#R:inmet:-147400:fortune:8900017:000:285
fortune!burton    Jun 21 09:22:00 1984

Subway construction is also much, much, much more expensive than El
construction.
  Philip Burton      101 Twin Dolphin Drive-MS 133
  Fortune Systems    Redwood City, CA  94065	     (415) 595-8444 x 526
			      - - -
{ihnp4 [ucbvax | decvax!decwrl]!amd70 harpo hpda }!fortune!burton

benk@inmet.UUCP (07/05/84)

#R:homxa:-25900:inmet:7900006:177600:667
inmet!benk    Jul  4 15:02:00 1984

	I believe that it is still running.  It is(?)/was used by the MTA
to ship newly acquired subway cars from the Brooklyn docks ( they get
'ferried' over from 'Jersey -- Hoboken, I believe ) to the Coney
Island yards, where they are cheked out before being inflicted on the
riding public.

	This, of course works only for the 'IND' and 'BMT' cars.
Does anybody know how the 'IRT' cars get shipped to NYC and where
they are eventually introduced into the system ?

	-- Ben Krepp
	(inmet!benk)

	P.S. For anybody who is keeping score, this is one more
	Stuyvesant alumnus checking in ... my age must be starting
	to show also ... I can vividly recall the 15c fare.

percus@acf4.UUCP (11/17/84)

As for rail service, The Crescent, leaving New York at
about 2:30 PM, is rather comfortable and convenient
(not to scenic, though), and arrives in Atlanta at
about 6:30 PM the next day.

Of course, you can take almost any train from Boston to
New York.  The 8:40 AM Colonial from Boston should
give you quite enough time to change.

Best of Luck.
                                     percus@nyu-acf4

jis1@ahuta.UUCP (jis1) (11/28/84)

REFERENCES:  <48400003@acf4.UUCP>

The Crescent arrives at New Orleans at 6:20 pm the next day. It arrives at
Atlanta around 8am.

Been on the Crescent in the recent past!
Jishnu Mukerji
ihnp4!ahuta!jis1

chris@hplvla.UUCP (chris) (04/04/85)

 I called the number listed and spoke with the person there, who said
 July 4 is probably optimistic, that late August or later this Fall was
 more likely the startup time. The service will be fashioned after the
 Cumbres and Toltec or Durango and Silverton lines in New Mexico and
 Colorado, running about 2-3 trains per day, tickets about $25-$30.
 There will be no AMTRAK connection to Williams, the start point in
 the South, but possibly (possibly) bus from Flagstaff. It seems to
 be aimed at car travellers who want to spend the day-trip on the
 train, with possibly 2-3 hours at the Canyon each trip. Sounds like
 fun, and who could ask for a nicer route?
					-Chris  hpfcla!hplvla!chris

rfw@lan000 (12/03/85)

> Subject: TAG Computer Program
> Date: 21 Sep 85 04:05:28 GMT
>
> Has anyone out there been able to successfully use the computerized traffic
> generator program written by Bob Fink in the Februrary 1984 issue of Model
> Railroader magazine?  Either as written in Microsoft BASIC for the TRS80 Model
As it arrived here Sunday Dec. 1.   Don't ask me where the inquiry has
been since then.  I would like to extend the inquiry to include any and all
railroad-related software.  Trains magazine has a 'locomotive simulator'
program advertised monthly - about $90 as I recall.  Has anyone taken
the plunge for this or other similar products?  I'll be glad to post
a summary if I get any mail.  Oh - IBM-PC stuff of particular interest here.
					Randy Wright
allegra \				Lantech Systems, Inc.
ihnp4    >!convex!infoswx!lan000!rfw    9635 Wendell Road
uiucdcs /				Dallas, TX  75243
					(214) 340-4932

roma@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (08/01/86)

> A couple of years back there was a fatal railroad crash just north of Boston.
> Four people were killed, three of them railroad employees. The fourth, however,
> was a railroad buff who had talked one of the engineers into letting him ride
> in the locomotive cab, against company policy and instructions to employees.
> Now, (you guessed it) the guy's widow is suing the Boston and Maine for her
> husband's death.

This disgusts me, but doesn't surprise me at all.  This is one reason why cab
rides are frowned upon by railroad management.

> Is there any chance that the B&M could countersue the man's estate for his
> action in suborning one of their employees to dereliction of duty, thus
> involving the company in an expensive lawsuit?

Not being a lawyer, I don't know whether the B&M would have a case against
the railfan for causing them to break the rules because the railfan was not
subject to the B&M rule book since he was not an employee.  I believe they are
basically responsible for everything they do unless it is under duress.
The fan was not officially authorized to be in the locomotive cab, but I don't
know if the trespass laws come into play here.  If the train was a
passenger train, would it have any bearing on the case if it could be
determined that the passenger did not pay a fare and was thus a "stowaway"?

However, if the railroad employees' widows were to try to make a case against
the B&M, I suspect the railroad would make light of the fact that a rule
violation was involved.  To what extent is an employer liable for its
employees' actions and how does a violation of rules by the employee affect
such liability?  Is the agreement to follow the Book of Rules merely an
agreement or is it part of the employee's contract with the railroad?  If it
was part of the contract, could the B&M try to collect damages for breach of
contract?

Are there any lawyers or law students that can add anything?

Jon Roma
Computing Services Office, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

ARPANET: roma%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	 roma%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!roma