[comp.sys.mac.system] "Studly"?

sasaki@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Jim Sasaki) (08/06/90)

In article <9583@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:

> .... font-studly developers ....

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "studly" mean?  My wife's OED doesn't list
it, but it's the old edition....

    -- Jim Sasaki (sasaki@umbc3.umbc.edu)

palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com (Colonel Mode) (08/07/90)

sasaki@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Jim Sasaki) writes...
>Forgive my ignorance, but what does "studly" mean?

Studly is derived from stud as in a virile male. Generally it is used to mean
husky, big, more than enough for the task, e.g. The power supply has studly
diodes. Studly is the antonym of wimpy.

*****
Chris Palmer
palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com
phone (508)486-6667 dtn 226-6667

sasaki@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Jim Sasaki) (08/08/90)

In article <14326@shlump.nac.dec.com> palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com writes:
> Studly is derived from stud as in a virile male....

Eeeyuchhhh!  That's what I thought when I first saw it, but I decided
"No, that's too dumb."  Apparently I was wrong: it's not too dumb.  (:-)
Sigh.  When I think of how many years I spent learning English in spite of
the Chicago public school system .... (:-)

Suggested replacements for "font-studly":

    font-aware
        Has the advantage that it rhymes with soft-a-ware?  Might we start
        talking about hardware being software-aware?  Hmm.

    font-mindful
        Can be slurred into "font-mineful", which reminds me of
        "font-minefield," which seems appropriate somehow.

    font-sensitive
        Should appeal to any Rogerians out there.  Related: font-supportive.

or maybe

    font-macho
        Madison Avenue would like this one?  I can just see the ad for the
        new "Marlboro" font manager: men on horses with LaserWriters in the
        background.  Maybe "font-macho" is too strong.  Would "font-virile"
        be better?

    Yes, I'm joking.  Go ahead, everyone: use "font-studly."  Just let me get
my sick bag first.  Urrrk!  (:-(

    Soon to come:

        "Font-studly" replacements II: the Thesauraus Attacks

featuring such words as "font-frisky," "font-gushy," "font-gutsy,"
"font-go-getter," "font-spry," "font-sensical," "font-peppy," and "font-zippy."

    And coming all too soon after that:

        "Font-studly" replacements III: Return of the Antonyms

starring "font-impotent," "font-emasculated"....

    Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

                            Yours in resigned humor,

                                -- Jim Sasaki (sasaki@umbc3.umbc.edu)

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (08/09/90)

In article <3728@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> sasaki@umbc3.umbc.edu (Jim Sasaki) writes:
>I originally wrote:
>>Forgive my ignorance, but what does "studly" mean?
>
>In article <14326@shlump.nac.dec.com> palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com writes:
>> Studly is derived from stud as in a virile male....
>
>Eeeyuchhhh!  That's what I thought when I first saw it, but I decided
>"No, that's too dumb."

  The first time the term "System 7 studly" was used at the Developers'
Conference in May there was quite a bit of laughter.  Who knows how long
Apple has been using it internally, under nondisclosure and what not. :-)

  Anyway, soon it will be a trademark and will only be used by Apple
employees in the promotion of Apple software, so it won't be too much a
problem anymore.

  Sort of like "Moof!"

:-)

-- Mark Wilkins

toster@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Tom Oster) (08/10/90)

In article <3728@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> sasaki@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Jim Sasaki) writes:
>     font-aware
>         Has the advantage that it rhymes with soft-a-ware?  Might we
start
>         talking about hardware being software-aware?  Hmm.

How about Apple's own "AppleShare Aware" used to described networkable (on
AppleShare anyway) software products from 3rd-party software vendors.

Tom Oster - Computing Resource Center
Baylor College of Medicine
toster@watson.bcm.tmc.edu
Opinions expressed here are mine alone.