[comp.sys.mac.system] Apple CD-Rom driver

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) (08/09/90)

I am currently borrowing a CD Rom drive from my local dealer, as
there appears to be a long delay in Apple production at the moment
(it has been over 4 weeks so far from my order, and no word as to
when the new drive will appear).  The drive I am borrowing is an early
one (with fan, and thus probably with the dust problems).  However,
I am having problems which I suspect might be something other than
dust.  The drive only recognises certain CDs, and is not inconsistent
about this; it always accepts some CDs and always rejects others.
Amongst those it rejects are issues 1 and 3 of develop; it likes
issue 2!

So, I suspect there might be a hardware or software problem.  Does
anyone know what the most up to date driver version numbers are?
I am currently running System 6.0.5, CDRom driver version 2.0, dated
August 29th 1989.  Any ideas?  I hope my real drive, when it arrives,
is more reliable than this.

--

<<< standard disclaimers >>>
Nick Crossley, ICL NA, 9801 Muirlands, Irvine, CA 92718-2521, USA 714-458-7282

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/10/90)

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:

>I am currently borrowing a CD Rom drive from my local dealer, as
>there appears to be a long delay in Apple production at the moment
>(it has been over 4 weeks so far from my order, and no word as to
>when the new drive will appear).  The drive I am borrowing is an early
>one (with fan, and thus probably with the dust problems).  However,
>I am having problems which I suspect might be something other than
>dust.  The drive only recognises certain CDs, and is not inconsistent
>about this; it always accepts some CDs and always rejects others.
>Amongst those it rejects are issues 1 and 3 of develop; it likes
>issue 2!

>So, I suspect there might be a hardware or software problem.  Does
>anyone know what the most up to date driver version numbers are?
>I am currently running System 6.0.5, CDRom driver version 2.0, dated
>August 29th 1989.  Any ideas?  I hope my real drive, when it arrives,
>is more reliable than this.

I just got my drive, and it works fine.  I'm using 3.0.2 of the CD/ROM
software.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (08/10/90)

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:

>I am currently borrowing a CD Rom drive [...]The drive I am
>borrowing is an early one (with fan, and thus probably with the
>dust problems).  However, I am having problems which I suspect
>might be something other than dust.  The drive only recognises
>certain CDs...[more details omitted.]

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the infamous dust
problems.  Another possible remedy may be SCSI termination.  Check that
you only have one external terminator (assuming you have an internal
hard drive) and that terminator is at the end of the chain.  You might
try the terminator in-line with the cable rather than on the other
connector; that's a bit of massive black magic that sometimes works for
me.

You can get the drive fixed free under the repair program, assuming it's
still going on.  I don't recall if there was a termination date on the
repair program.  Contact your local Apple dealer for details.  For your
local Apple dealer, call 800-538-9696 in the USA.

>Does anyone know what the most up to date driver version numbers are?

You can get the latest CD-ROM software from apple.com in the directory
~ftp/pub/dts/sw.license  The release is 3.01; the CD-ROM driver is
version 3.0 from December of 1989.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (08/10/90)

In article <82901@hobbit.UUCP> ndjc@ccicpg.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:
>                       ....... The drive I am borrowing is an early
>one (with fan, and thus probably with the dust problems).  However,
>I am having problems which I suspect might be something other than
>dust.  The drive only recognises certain CDs, and is not inconsistent
>about this; it always accepts some CDs and always rejects others.
>Amongst those it rejects are issues 1 and 3 of develop; it likes
>issue 2!
>
>So, I suspect there might be a hardware or software problem.  Does
>anyone know what the most up to date driver version numbers are?

I just had a similar problem.  I've reconnected the fan in it because
I'd leave a CD in it all day and with the fan disconnected, I felt the
CD just got too warm.  All of a sudden, it wouldn't read one CD (the
lastest Developers' CD).  This same CD read fine on another drive.
The funny thing is the new version of this CD still wouldn't work right
on my drive, while other CD's worked OK (well, not perfectly - some
would start acting flakey).

So I opened the drive and cleaned the lens (not recommended for the
faint hearted) and suddenly everything was fine again.  I've ended
up keeping the fan connected, but slowed it down (with a 200 ohm
resistor in series).  The fan now runs at a fraction of the speed,
you can't hear it at all, and I figure that it will take MUCH longer
to collect dust.  The funny thing is I can now keep a CD in it all
day and it stays cool!  This is probably what Apple should have done
in the first place.  I feel that there should be SOME air moving
through the drive - there's just too much heat built up otherwise.

	Andy Peterman
	treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

In article <82901@hobbit.UUCP> ndjc@ccicpg.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:
>when the new drive will appear).  The drive I am borrowing is an early
>one (with fan, and thus probably with the dust problems).
>The drive only recognises certain CDs, and is not inconsistent
>about this; it always accepts some CDs and always rejects others.

It's probably dirt, either on the CDs or a lens.  I've been told that there
are cleaning disks for CD Rom players that will fix the Apple CDs problem.
I've noticed that not all CDs are alike-- if you look at them they are slightly
different.  I don't know if this has to do with the consistency of your problem
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (08/14/90)

In article <82901@hobbit.UUCP> ndjc@ccicpg.UUCP (Nick Crossley) writes:
>...  The drive I am borrowing is an early
>one (with fan, and thus probably with the dust problems).
Go to your local record (CD) store and spend twenty bucks on a CD
Laser Lens Cleaner.  A worthy investment!
>I am having problems which I suspect might be something other than
>dust.  The drive only recognises certain CDs, and is not inconsistent
>about this; it always accepts some CDs and always rejects others.
>Amongst those it rejects are issues 1 and 3 of develop; it likes
>issue 2!

I think d e v e l o p must have a problem with its manufacturing
process.  Issue 1 was O.K. but 2 and 3 had problems.  The second
copy of issue 2 I got through a users' group was fine.
>I am currently running System 6.0.5, CDRom driver version 2.0, dated
>August 29th 1989.  Any ideas?  I hope my real drive, when it arrives,
>is more reliable than this.

The latest version of the CD-ROM driver is 3.0.1, which came out
shortly after the IIci. (3.0 didn't work on it.)  Your dealer should
be able to get it off of AppleLink for you.
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) (08/14/90)

In article <82901@hobbit.UUCP> I wrote about problems I was having
with an old Apple CD-ROM borrowed from a dealer, while waiting for
delivery of my own drive.  Of course, I should have posted a week
or two earlier; about 2 hours after posting, the dealer phoned to
say everything had arrived.  When I took my new drive home and set
it up, it worked with the CDs which had failed earlier, even without
installing the new software.

So, both the drive and software were out of date, but it was the
hardware which had caused the problems, not the software as I had
suspected.  I have now installed the new driver software as well,
of course, and I have not had any problems reading any digital or
audio CDs since.

I received some email replies saying my driver was out of date,
and letting me know the up to date one was available by FTP from
apple.com.  This is of limited use to those such as myself without
FTP access; perhaps Apple could consider adding more of these files
to the 'Developer Essentials' stuff on the develop CD-ROMs?