[comp.sys.mac.system] Boot partition - was: Re: boot volume woes...

carlo@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (08/14/90)

In article <6268@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>If a hard drive is partitioned with SilverLining (v. 5.x), and more than
>one partition is bootable, the first (alphabetically) partition is indeed
>the one used to boot.

>Anyway, the alphabetization feature can be handy. I keep a "pure" system
>(no INITs, no modifications) on one partition and my regular system on
>another. To test for INIT-caused problems, I simply rename one of the
>partitions and reboot to get the "pure" system.
>
>Russell Owen

In the most recent MacUser/MacWorld, there is an article about 'getting
ready for system 7. In it, the author suggests keeping system <7 on a
separate hard disk from system >=7 and keeping the applications (for the 2
system versions) separate. I seem to remember that it is also mentioned
somewhere that you need to reformat your HD for sys 7. Now, could the above
trick be used to boot on different partitions dep. on which system you
decide to run under? Could Silverlining be used to reformat the partition
for sys 7 (assuming this is indeed needed - can anyone confirm?) much the
way that Silverlining allows A/UX as well as Apple/OS partitions? I suspect
you'd need an upgrade of Silverlining after sys 7 is released, in any case;
but more generally what is it about sys 7 that requires reformatting, if
this is indeed tha case? Would this not be a first for a MacOS upgrade?
Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (08/14/90)

In article <8950@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:

[...]

You don't need to reformat...  The article (which I read earlier this
evening) suggests reformatting because it is a good time to, not
because of any need.  He suggests that a drive should be reformatted
occasionally to get rid of bad sectors, etc.

Alan D. Danziger, AKA        | Reality is a function of the delusion factor
753 South St,Waltham MA 02154| If at first you DO succeed, Congratulations
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | For those about to Rock, we salute you
MB 3130/Brandeis University  | Life's a beach & then you drown! Catch the Wave
PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254 | (617) 894-6859                   (617) 647-3720

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (08/14/90)

In article <8950@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:

 [stuff about setting up a partition with System 7]

|Could Silverlining be used to reformat the partition
|for sys 7 (assuming this is indeed needed - can anyone confirm?) much the
|way that Silverlining allows A/UX as well as Apple/OS partitions? I suspect
|you'd need an upgrade of Silverlining after sys 7 is released, in any case;
|but more generally what is it about sys 7 that requires reformatting, if
|this is indeed tha case? Would this not be a first for a MacOS upgrade?
|Carlo.
|carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

  In SilverLining's documentation, they say that different versions of
Mac systems can be on different partitions, and they suggest renaming
the partition and rebooting as a way of quickly switching systems.  I've
done it myself (of course, not with System 7).  I was surprised that
MacUser didn't mention this as a possible (and inexpensive) method
to have both Sytstems 6 and 7.

  I wouldn't think that you'd need an upgrade of SilverLining to
handle System 7.  (But then, I've been wrong before).

-bri

--
       Brian Kenney                                      kenney@hsi.com

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/15/90)

In article <8950@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>In the most recent MacUser/MacWorld, there is an article about 'getting
>ready for system 7. In it, the author suggests keeping system <7 on a
>separate hard disk from system >=7 and keeping the applications (for the 2
>system versions) separate. I seem to remember that it is also mentioned
>somewhere that you need to reformat your HD for sys 7.
>but more generally what is it about sys 7 that requires reformatting, if
>this is indeed tha case? Would this not be a first for a MacOS upgrade?

Reformatting the HD is _not_ a System 7 requirement, and the author doesn't
imply that it is.

Quoting without permission:

_Make Room for System 7_ by Thom Hogan

[Thom is listing the steps involved in installing Sys 7 on an HD]

"1. Back up the files currently on your hard-disk drive.
 2. Reformat your hard disk.
    Yes, reformat it. And I don't mean by selecting the Erase Disk command
    from the Finder's Special menu.  Use the low-level formatting utility
    that came with your hard disk.  Doing this often cathces the marginal or
    defective sectors that can cause major problems later.  This is especially
    important if you use your Mac in an environment that changes dramatically
    [because of temperature or humidity extremes, for example] during the year.
    Temperature changes can affect the exact placement of the head mechanism
    by minute amounts that can show up as problems writing to disk.
    ....[Thom discusses the physical reasons for this, giving a "worst-case-
    scenario" example]...
    The solution is to reformat and repopulate the hard-disk drive
    periodically.  Since you're about to install a new System, now is as good
    a time as any to do so.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 3. Install System 7.
 4. Add fonts, DAs, and INITs.
 5. ...[yadi yadi yadi - rest deleted]..."

Nothing there about reformatting being a _requirement_ for System 7. Just a
good idea, and a convenient time to do it.

<chaz>

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (08/15/90)

The way I switch between 6.0.5 and 7.0a9 is to use Blesser (available
on better BBSs everywhere) to bless the system folder I want.  The
last time I reformatted my disk I decided to forget about multiple
patitions.  I just put on one and 7.0a9 seems smoother now.

I remember someone asking at the Developer's Conference whether
Blesser works for switching between 6.x and 7.x.  The answer was
"We're counting on it."  Sounds like Apple folks have been known to do
this too.

Kent Borg      internet: kent@camex.com    MacNet: kentborg      AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
"Congress was about to scuttle our defense department ... Could our military
industrial complex be backing Iraq?"  - my mother, 8-4-90