[comp.sys.mac.system] AUX... Should I?

ws7m@ws7m.UUCP (Mark R. Holbrook) (08/09/90)

Questions questions...

Ok... I have been a long time user of Unix and Xenix.
I recently was drug kicking and screaming into the
Mac world and hence I have become a part of the cult.
I truly love the machine...  Ok so I went a bit over
board for my first Mac...  IIci, 8MB Ram, 650MB hard
disk, 19" color monitor...  etc etc...  (Well, you
see I got this contract...  ... long story...)

Anyway to the point...  I am wondering if I should
jump into AUX.  I like the mac but I am using an old
386 system as a Xenix mail and news server.  If I
went to AUX would I not have the best of both worlds?

Here are some questions...

If I'm on AUX can I still appletalk share a postscript
printer with another mac on macOS?

How will System 7 integrate and operate with AUX?

How well do mac apps run under AUX?  IE can I run
something like WhiteKnight or Okyto?, Wingz?, MacWrite II?
Think C etc??

What would I gain by having AUX?  Can somebody
summarize those things that they like about it?

I gather I can partition my disk and give say 150MB
to MacOS and remainder say to AUX and then startup
on either one correct?

If in MacOS can I move files to AUX partition?
How about the reverse?

How about devices like scanners (microtek 300Z) can it
and it's DAs be used while under AUX?  I also have a
tape backup.  I hope it would be usable too!

I have a fax modem that has an init... Would it work?
It's an orchid fax...

Anyway if someone could write me a list of the things
they are using AUX for and what it does for them, I
would really appreciate it.  It is a chunk of change
and I want to insure that it's going to do what I want.
A further problem is that NO store that I visit has
AUX running or even on the shelf that I could see.

Is there anybody in the LA, Santa Barbara, San Diego
region that I could visit to see AUX run?

Thanks again for the help... Please email... I'll
summarize back to the net if folks are interested.

Mark R. Holbrook

ws7m!ws7m@hub.ucsb.edu

System Dynamics - WEST
Santa Barbara, CA.

chuq@Apple.COM (Spot the Wonder Dog) (08/09/90)

ws7m@ws7m.UUCP (Mark R. Holbrook) writes:

>Ok... I have been a long time user of Unix and Xenix.
>I recently was drug kicking and screaming into the
>Mac world and hence I have become a part of the cult.

Gotta watch those drugs, man. They'll get you in the end.

>If I'm on AUX can I still appletalk share a postscript
>printer with another mac on macOS?

Yes. A/UX supports printing over localtalk and looks just like any other
mac.

>How will System 7 integrate and operate with AUX?

right now, it doesn't. It'x 6.0.x. After System 7 ships I would guess this
will be rectified at some point.

>How well do mac apps run under AUX?  IE can I run
>something like WhiteKnight or Okyto?, Wingz?, MacWrite II?
>Think C etc??

Many apps run fine. I use White Knight all the time. Word and Excel work,
for instance, too.

>What would I gain by having AUX?  Can somebody
>summarize those things that they like about it?

You have Unix and the MacOS. Use whatever tool is most appropriate at the
time.

>I gather I can partition my disk and give say 150MB
>to MacOS and remainder say to AUX and then startup
>on either one correct?

Yes.

>If in MacOS can I move files to AUX partition?
>How about the reverse?

MacOS can't play with A/UX partitions.  A/UX, however, mounts Mac
partitions, so the MacOS environment in A/UX can play with either the Mac
partitions or the A/UX partitions. The Unix side of the environment only
sees the Unix stuff (since the MacOS side isn't grafted into the directory
strcuture)

>How about devices like scanners (microtek 300Z) can it
>and it's DAs be used while under AUX?  I also have a
>tape backup.  I hope it would be usable too!

Scanners -- no. Scanner software likes to go and play directly with the
hardware, which is a no-no in protected systems like Unix. If/when scanner
manufacturers update their software to play by the rules of the SCSI manager
they'll probably work. (this goes for the Apple scanner as well)

Tapes: if there's a driver for it. Apple tape drive works. Other
manufacturers have drivers -- call them and check.

>I have a fax modem that has an init... Would it work?
>It's an orchid fax...

Good question. I dunno.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small, small world!

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (08/14/90)

In comp.sys.mac.system, article <43789@apple.Apple.COM>,
  chuq@Apple.COM (Spot the Wonder Dog) writes:
<
< Scanners -- no. Scanner software likes to go and play directly with the
< hardware, which is a no-no in protected systems like Unix. If/when scanner
< manufacturers update their software to play by the rules of the SCSI manager
< they'll probably work. (this goes for the Apple scanner as well)
<
More to the point, they use the SCSI Manager, which isn't implemented under
A/UX for some very good reasons.
Unfortunately, there's no /dev/scsi (yet?), and the new SCSI Manager which
had been going to be in System 7.0 and which would have been rather easy to
port into A/UX, seems to have been scrapped/delayed/whatever.

< Tapes: if there's a driver for it. Apple tape drive works. Other
< manufacturers have drivers -- call them and check.
<
Reportedly, the A/UX 2.0 device drivers' development kit will feature a tape
driver which groks about all "normal" (read: non-Apple) tapes out there.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that stuff like Retrospect will work. It
won't -- you'd need a special A/UX version.

Right now, you can't backup MacOS partitions under A/UX.
("dd </dev/dsk/cXd0s30 >/dev/rmt/tcY bs=1024k" is not considered a backup.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Reid Ellis) (08/17/90)

ws7m@ws7m.UUCP (Mark R. Holbrook) asks lots of good questions
about A/UX and chuq@Apple.COM (Spot the Wonder Dog) gives some
good answers.  So here's another one for Chuqie or any other A/UX
gurus out there.

We're using MPW with projector, which has a really cool interface
[although I wish "checkout" had the same project interface as
"checkin"..]  However, we find it is insufficient because we cannot
use our file server as a compile server as well.  With straight
Unix we could use RCS on a Unix file system and spawn compiles in
the background.

However, we really like the user interface to projector, which
leads me to these questions:

o	Can MacOS systems use AppleShare to mount A/UX volumes
	[with the A/UX side running some sort of appleshare
	daemon] and then treat said volumes as if they were MacOS
	volumes?

o	If so, and a projector database is kept on a Unix file
	system, is there a "Projector" for Unix?  Can I check out
	files from the A/UX side of things so I could then compile
	etc? [which implies I need C++ 2.01 on A/UX as well...]

Thanks Chuq! :)
			"And I had fun fun fun till my daddy took
			 my timeslice away." -- Tron
--
Reid Ellis  264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9               Canada
rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu || rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu || +1 416 487 1383