[comp.sys.mac.system] Status of System 7

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (08/15/90)

It's been quite a while since I've seen a report on when System 7 is
rumoured (due?) to be released, how stable current beta versions are,
etc.

It would be nice if someone could post a bit of information, just so
we know things are still moving...

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.210549.28963@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>It's been quite a while since I've seen a report on when System 7 is
>rumoured (due?) to be released, how stable current beta versions are,
>etc.
>
>It would be nice if someone could post a bit of information, just so
>we know things are still moving...

  Things are still moving.  ;)

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (08/15/90)

In article <43964@apple.Apple.COM>, nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) writes:
>In article <1990Aug14.210549.28963@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>>It would be nice if someone could post a bit of information, just so
>>we know things are still moving...
>  Things are still moving.  ;)

	Hmm.  Somehow, this isn't what I was hoping for...

	Something like a periodical status report would be nice - not like
"it's due out real soon now..." but realistic times.  Will I be waiting
until the end of this year?  The end of next year?  This can affect
software purchases (ATM, for one...)

	This isn't a flame, Apple - just a suggestion.

  John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.210549.28963@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>It's been quite a while since I've seen a report on when System 7 is
>rumoured (due?) to be released, how stable current beta versions are,
>etc.

	It is said that relatively stable betas are going to be
shipped to developers within the next few weeks.  (Source - MacWEEK).
Then again, they said that HyperCard 2.0 would ship in July, too.

>It would be nice if someone could post a bit of information, just so
>we know things are still moving...

	Hopefully, with the fiasco about System 7.0 and the recent
problems with getting HyperCard 2.0 out the door, Apple is learning
something about announcing products -before- they're ready to ship.
Macintosh users have long been used to an Apple that either shipped on
the same day they announced the product, or named a date and then
stuck to it.  Now Apple has two major projects that are both being
delayed, with no better reason than, "We aren't done yet."

	Granted, I want to see a clean, bug-free release as much as
the next guy - maybe more because I end up supporting a lot of the
people who use the product, but I've gotten sick of seeing Apple point
to a mystical future as the answer to any given complaint, and then
push that future further and further back.

	And I think I represent a -lot- of Mac users in this.  I'm
willing to bet that Mac sales are quite low now, because everyone and
their brother is waiting for the new Macs.  HyperCard development is
stalling, because HyperCard 2.0 -still- isn't out.  And people are
still waiting to see how well System 7.0 stacks up against Windows
3.0.  "Just wait," says Apple.

	Argh.

-=-
| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Jim Gaynor explores The Land of VAXen!  Will IRCC survive?  Nahhh...."  _|

DN5@psuvm.psu.edu (08/15/90)

In article <43964@apple.Apple.COM>, nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) says:

>In article <1990Aug14.210549.28963@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>>It's been quite a while since I've seen a report on when System 7 is
>>rumoured (due?) to be released, how stable current beta versions are,
>>etc.
>>
>>It would be nice if someone could post a bit of information, just so
>>we know things are still moving...
>>
>  Things are still moving.  ;)

Ah, but will the first version of System 7.0 include netbunny, or will
we have to wait for release 7.1?  :-)  :-)  :-)

ps. To anybody else who went to MacHack:  Did you get your cd-rom yet?
    They sent me two floppies and no explanation.

man@vali.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (08/16/90)

In article <3772@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>,
gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
|>	Hopefully, with the fiasco about System 7.0 and the recent
|>problems with getting HyperCard 2.0 out the door, Apple is learning
|>something about announcing products -before- they're ready to ship.

** Sigh **  Seems that no matter what Apple does, somebody is going to
make them into applesauce.  When Apple didn't let people know what they
were doing in advance, people complained because their software broke
with new releases.  And people complained that they wanted to know what
was going to be in the next version of HyperCard so they wouldn't have
to work around problems that would be fixed in the new version.  Now
Apple lets people in on preliminary information and they get flamed
(Apple crisp?) for leading people on.  Apple is certainly learning
_something_...

I personally prefer to have advance information, even if it only makes
me drool for a while (or maybe it's just all this talk about applesauce
and apple crisp that makes me drool).

	--Mark

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (08/16/90)

MHN> Now
MHN> Apple lets people in on preliminary information and they get flamed
MHN> (Apple crisp?) for leading people on.

Preliminary information is great and I don't think anyone is against
the release of preliminary information if it is accurate or even if it
disclaims accuracy.  However, the release information for HyperCard
2.0 has been downright wrong.  Just because something WILL be released
I think it is improper to announce the release as was done by Apple.
I am aware of the inevitablity of the eventual demise of, say, John
Sculley, but I don't think it's right to go around posting his death
notice.

MHN> I personally prefer to have advance information, even if it only makes
MHN> me drool for a while (or maybe it's just all this talk about applesauce
MHN> and apple crisp that makes me drool).

Protracted drooling is not such a pleasant experience for developers,
as it often translates into lost time/money.  I am not a developer,
but even I am disappointed.  Anyway, the price is right. :-)

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (08/18/90)

In article <SAAF.90Aug16101226@joker.optics.rochester.edu>
saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
> Preliminary information is great and I don't think anyone is against
> the release of preliminary information if it is accurate or even if it
> disclaims accuracy.  However, the release information for HyperCard
> 2.0 has been downright wrong.  Just because something WILL be released
> I think it is improper to announce the release as was done by Apple.

Schedules aren't perfect.  In particular, any announced ship date of any
product in our industry, be it by Apple or otherwise, should be understood
to have a loud "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" after it implicitly.

To reiterate an important point, particularly for developers: you can't
have it both ways; that is, you can't have warning of what's to come and
accuracy, solidity, reliability, etc. at the same time.  If you get it
early, it won't be 100%.  If you don't get it early, you'll be surprised
with what you get.  You can either participate in the evolutionary process
or not--it's up to the individual (or corporation, as the case may be).

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (08/18/90)

In article <9813@goofy.Apple.COM>, chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
>To reiterate an important point, particularly for developers: you can't
>have it both ways; that is, you can't have warning of what's to come and
>accuracy, solidity, reliability, etc. at the same time.  If you get it
>early, it won't be 100%.  If you don't get it early, you'll be surprised
>with what you get.  You can either participate in the evolutionary process
>or not--it's up to the individual (or corporation, as the case may be).

	Fair enough.  As a user, I don't have any particular stake in when
System 7 comes out.  Hearing things like "the ship date has been pushed
back x {days|months|years} really doesn't bother me, since the system I
have works fine.  I would, however, like to know when the planned ship date
is at any given time, as it can affect my software purchases.  So please,
someone periodically (maybe as an addition to the Monthly Posting...?) tell
us what the current status is.

	Comments, anyone?