[comp.sys.mac.system] What does Responder INIT do?

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/16/90)

What does the Apple INIT "Responder" do?  I've looked in the manuals I have
that came with my SE/30, but seem unable to find a reference to this INIT.

Thanks.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (08/17/90)

In article <95300005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What does the Apple INIT "Responder" do?  I've looked in the manuals I have
>that came with my SE/30, but seem unable to find a reference to this INIT.
>
>Thanks.

	If I don't miss my guess, Responder functions over AppleTalk,
sending out various information on who you are and what you're doing.
It works with Apple's network management software; I believe the name
is InterPol.

-=-
| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Jim Gaynor explores The Land of VAXen!  Will IRCC survive?  Nahhh...."  _|

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (08/18/90)

In article <3860@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
> In article <95300005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >What does the Apple INIT "Responder" do?  I've looked in the manuals I
have
> >that came with my SE/30, but seem unable to find a reference to this
INIT.

> >Thanks.
>
>         If I don't miss my guess, Responder functions over AppleTalk,
> sending out various information on who you are and what you're doing.
> It works with Apple's network management software; I believe the name
> is InterPol.

This isn't gospel, but I'm pretty sure Responder does *not* send out
information about "what you're doing". The boss can't use InterPoll to see
that you're playing Tetris. What Responder does is return information
about the type of machine you are running, what your Chooser name is, and
what versions of System software you are running. This can then be used to
find out (for example) who the culprit is that still hasn't upgraded to
LaserPrep 6.0.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/20/90)

In article <95300005@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>What does the Apple INIT "Responder" do?  I've looked in the manuals I have
>that came with my SE/30, but seem unable to find a reference to this INIT.
>
>Thanks.

Thanks to all who answered my question.  Responder allows information to
be sent over AppleTalk about the Mac (such as what type of machine, what
version of system software it's running, etc.), used in part for network
management (network troubleshooting?).  If a Mac is not hooked up to any
network, then Responder is unneeded.