[comp.sys.mac.system] A/UX disk partitioning schemes???

brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/21/90)

I've acquired A/UX 2.0 to install on my IIci, 200M conner disk.  I cannot
seem to locate in the reams of doc.s info. on the specific relationship
between A/UX and MacOS partitions.  Further, the installation doc.s
ackowledge existance ONLY of apple 80 and 160M drives, and apparently,
so does "Apple HD SC".  (so much for unix for the rest of us...mutter, mutter,
grumble, moan).

What is the "proper" way to partition this disk given that 1) I need to be,
at times, working strickly within the mac. environment.  2)  I would like
to maintain fluid interchange of mac and A/UX files, and 3)  I've always
wanted my very own Unix workstation.

More specifically, do I understand correctly that the standard A/UX
installation sets up a bare bone Mac file system whose sole purpose is
to get the machine up and running under A/UX.  This implies I need to
reload all my "mac apps" into a unix file system.  If I need to be
mac-only, does this mean I need to allow for a MUCH bigger mac-partition?

I'm confused as hell...

Rick Brownrigg

chuq@Apple.COM (Spot the Wonder Dog) (08/22/90)

brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Further, the installation doc.s
>ackowledge existance ONLY of apple 80 and 160M drives, and apparently,
>so does "Apple HD SC".

yeah. It can be done with dp. If you're smart, you'll go out and pick up a
copy of SilverLining by LaCie and use it to format the disk. It does A/UX
compatible partitions for 2.0. As far as I know, it's the only non-apple
formatter that is 2.0 compatible right now.

>What is the "proper" way to partition this disk given that 1) I need to be,
>at times, working strickly within the mac. environment.  2)  I would like
>to maintain fluid interchange of mac and A/UX files, and 3)  I've always
>wanted my very own Unix workstation.

Depends on how much space you need where. A/UX will mount MacOS partitions,
so you can use them from the MacOS environment of A/UX. The MacOS
environment can read Unix filesystems (but not vice versa), but when you're
booted up in MacOS for real the Unix side won't be available. Where you put
the disk space depends on which systems you're going to be using for what.

>More specifically, do I understand correctly that the standard A/UX
>installation sets up a bare bone Mac file system whose sole purpose is
>to get the machine up and running under A/UX.

That's one of many options. It's not necessary.

>This implies I need to
>reload all my "mac apps" into a unix file system.  If I need to be
>mac-only, does this mean I need to allow for a MUCH bigger mac-partition?

What I'd do with 200 Meg or so is this:

o Swap: 15-20 Meg [required]
o Eschatology: 3-4 Meg [not required, but a good idea]
o Unix: 60-100 meg
o MacOS: the rest.

How much Unix you use depends on how much Unix hacking you'll be doing. If
you're loading in X windows or doing unix programming then you want more
Unix space. I keep all my MacOS stuff on my MacOS partition so it's still
avaialble when I'm not booted in A/UX.

>I'm confused as hell...

Hope this clears some of it up.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small, small world!

In article <25328.26d07a52@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> brownrigg@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I've acquired A/UX 2.0 to install on my IIci, 200M conner disk.  I cannot
>seem to locate in the reams of doc.s info. on the specific relationship
>between A/UX and MacOS partitions.  Further, the installation doc.s
>ackowledge existance ONLY of apple 80 and 160M drives, and apparently,
>so does "Apple HD SC".  (so much for unix for the rest of us...mutter, mutter,
>grumble, moan).

Here's how I did it on my Quantum P105:

Using SCSIProbe, find out product code for drive.
Using a disk/file editor, open up resource fork of HDSC Setup, find the word
'SEAGATE'.  Replace one of the product codes in that sector with the product
code for my drive.  (they are Pascal strings)
Run HDSC Setup-- it doesn't work.  Do a little hacking, find out that for
some reason it won't recognize a drive with SCSI ID 6.  Change SCSI ID to 1
and try again. It works (no, I don't know why).  Re-initilaize disk. (the
disk used the old paritioning scheme that HDSC Setup does not recognize
anymore).  Partition as 'Standard A/UX'.  Partition Custom, delete A/UX
free slice and mac partition.  Re-create Mac Partition at 10MB (you can make
yours bigger).  Re-create slice 3 free A/UX partition at the rest of the disk
less 1K.
Now start A/UX install. I told the Install routine I was a HDSC 80.
You should probably tell it you are an HDSC 160.
I found that when it was installed, the device file for slice 3 (the free
slice) was not there.  You shouldn't have that problem (because you are telling
it you are a bigger disk).

You will need to make an entry in /etc/disktab before you use newfs on your
free slice.  See the unix manuals on that.

If you still can't get it to work, I'd be glad to swap disks :-)...
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?