[comp.sys.mac.system] ftp problems with apple.com

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (08/21/90)

Please excuse me for posting here, but this newsgroup seems the most likely to
reach the people who would be willing/able to help me...

I'm having problems using the anon ftp server on apple.com, and would like to
know if anyone else is having the same problems. Symptoms:

I can connect/log on without any problems, cd anywhere within reason, all with
a correct throughput and/or delay, but as soon as I try to download anything,
the first few Ko just dribble in slower and slower until the transfer stops
dead in it's tracks 5-20 later. When I last tried a few months ago, All was fine
and I was able to succesfully download the 4 main disks to sys 6.0.5.

Am I the only one experiencing this?
Is it possibly my own fault?
How else can I get at the disk images? (CS, AO, etc, being U.S. based are
					unavailable to me here in France)
I seem to recall the existance of a BITNET ftp-> mail server somewhere, but
threw the info into the wastbasket because I thought that anon ftp would be
sufficient to my needs. Anyone?

Thanks for your time,
Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (08/22/90)

In <PATRICK.HAYES.90Aug20180549@sky.cediag.bull.fr> Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) writes:

>Please excuse me for posting here, but this newsgroup seems the most likely to
>reach the people who would be willing/able to help me...

>I'm having problems using the anon ftp server on apple.com, and would like to
>know if anyone else is having the same problems. ...
>I seem to recall the existance of a BITNET ftp-> mail server somewhere, but
>threw the info into the wastbasket because I thought that anon ftp would be
>sufficient to my needs. Anyone?

Send your ftp commands to

BITFTP@PUCC.BITNET

Works perfect for me. BTW, could someone e-mail me the internet number
of apples ftp server?

--
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology

homey@portia.Stanford.EDU (John Lilly) (08/24/90)

In article <johan.651315911@dutnak2> johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) writes:
>In <PATRICK.HAYES.90Aug20180549@sky.cediag.bull.fr> Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) writes:
>
>>Please excuse me for posting here, but this newsgroup seems the most likely to
>>reach the people who would be willing/able to help me...
>
>>I'm having problems using the anon ftp server on apple.com, and would like to
>>know if anyone else is having the same problems. ...
>>I seem to recall the existance of a BITNET ftp-> mail server somewhere, but
>>threw the info into the wastbasket because I thought that anon ftp would be
>>sufficient to my needs. Anyone?
>
>Send your ftp commands to
>
>BITFTP@PUCC.BITNET
>
>Works perfect for me. BTW, could someone e-mail me the internet number
>of apples ftp server?

Me, too, please.  Thanks.

John Lilly
homey@portia.stanford.edu