[comp.sys.mac.system] SCSI problems

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (08/22/90)

Ever since I upgraded my Mac 512Ke+2Meg memory to System 6.0.5 (I'm
using the XPRAM init, so that's not the problem), I've been having
problems with occasional system hangs.  I've traced the problem in
MacsBug to the code in the SCSI manager that implements the opcode
scInc (I don't know anything about SCSI).  The code around where the
hang occurs looks like

	MOVE.B	D7,$20(A4) <---------
	MOVEQ	#-$01,D1	    |
	MOVE.B	#$01,$20(A4)	    |
	BTST	#$06,$10(A3)	    |
	DBNE	D1		    |
	BNE.S	*+$A ------------   |
	MOVE.B	D7,$20(A4)	|   |
	MOVEQ	#$03,D0		|   |
	BRA.S	*+$2C --------	|   |
	MOVEQ	#$30,D0 <----+---   |
>>>	DBF	D0	     |      |
	BTST	#$5,$10(A3)  |      |
	BNE.S	*-$2C -------+-------

During execution, A3=$580000 and A4=$580003.  The ">>>" indicates
where the PC usually is when I break into the debugger during a hang.
The code seems to be called about every 2 seconds when there is
nothing in the SCSI unit (it's a cartridge drive) and only during disk
I/O when there is something there.

Any idea what could be the cause of this hang?  Do I have a faulty
SCSI port?  Or is there some incompatibility with System 6.0.5?

	--Mark

thisted@galton.uchicago.edu (Ronald A. Thisted) (08/22/90)

In article <47848@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
>Ever since I upgraded my Mac 512Ke+2Meg memory to System 6.0.5 (I'm
>using the XPRAM init, so that's not the problem), I've been having
>problems with occasional system hangs.  I've traced the problem in
>MacsBug to the code in the SCSI manager that implements the opcode
>scInc (I don't know anything about SCSI).
>
> [Description of code omitted]
>
>Any idea what could be the cause of this hang?  Do I have a faulty
>SCSI port?  Or is there some incompatibility with System 6.0.5?

I have had a similar problem with a newly purchased IIci (running
6.0.5, of course).  The IIci has an internal hard disk.  I hooked up
my old Jasmine DD100 to the SCSI port.  Whenever the Jasmine is turned
on, the IIci fails to boot (chimes, sad mac, x0F x01).  When the
Jasmine is off, booting is fine.  After initial booting, the DD100 can
be powered up, and sometimes can be mounted successfully.  Sometimes,
the machine hangs after the DD100 icon shows up on the desktop.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Ronald Thisted
University of Chicago

Ron Thisted
Department of Statistics/The University of Chicago
thisted@galton.uchicago.edu

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (08/26/90)

To the original poster:
A while back (18 months) I had a similar SCSI prob with my Mac 128->mac 512KE
->2 meg + Dove SCSI board.  It came down to a bug in the SCSI adapter board
from Dove.  Dove was kind enough to send me a resister clip that fixed
the prob.

I'm assuming you've got a non-apple SCSI adapter, if it's a Dove one
then give them a call.  Hope this helps some.

Dan Boerner
Phd Student, Oregon State University
boerend@mist.cs.orst.edu

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (08/27/90)

In comp.sys.mac.system, article <1990Aug22.144829.10562@midway.uchicago.edu>,
  thisted@galton.uchicago.edu (Ronald A. Thisted) writes:
<
< [...]  I hooked up
< my old Jasmine DD100 to the SCSI port.  Whenever the Jasmine is turned
< on, the IIci fails to boot (chimes, sad mac, x0F x01).  When the

The formatter of that Jasmine does some very nonstandard things like directly
accessing the SCSI chip of your MacPlus, which happens not to work on a
IIci. ;-)

Either patch the Apple HD Setup program to work with your Jasmine, or go and
buy SilverLining. (I'd do the latter if I were you.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(Voice)/621227(PEP)

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (08/29/90)

I also have to reccomend Silverlining Software! It is well worth the price!

Dave

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com