[comp.sys.mac.system] Empty Folder Problem

roskar@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Veljko Roskar) (08/31/90)

In article <25542.26DA84DE@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
>Aha, the "Folder from Hell" raises it's ugly head again.  This seems to be a
>particurlarly prevalent problem with system 6.0.3 though no one has kept
>statistics.  What you have is a corrupted B* tree. The easiest way to fix it
>is with Norton Utilities.  I don't know of anyone who's had this problem with
>6.0.5.

Well I have the "Folder from Hell" on 6.0.5. It appeared in the root directory,
can't trash it, and fedit says "Expected Catalog file record not found in
Extent file. This disk may have a problem." MacTools and DiskTop see 2 files
in the folder, but they're not invisible and I still can't see them.

I have a problem. Can't afford NU. How do I fix this without it. Please don't
tell me to back up and reformat, I am finishing my MS and just don't have the
time!

How can avoid getting the same problem in the future?? Is it possible that some
bug in an application created this ?

Ppppppllease help.

Thanks.
--
Veljko Roskar                            | roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
Department of Chemical Engineering       | roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (09/06/90)

"In article<25542.26DA84DE@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fid
"onet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
">Aha, the "Folder from Hell" raises it's ugly head again.  This seems to be a
">particurlarly prevalent problem with system 6.0.3 though no one has kept
">statistics.  What you have is a corrupted B* tree. The easiest way to fix it
">is with Norton Utilities.  I don't know of anyone who's had this problem with
">6.0.5.
">
"Well I have the "Folder from Hell" on 6.0.5. It appeared in the root directory,
"can't trash it, and fedit says "Expected Catalog file record not found in
"Extent file. This disk may have a problem." MacTools and DiskTop see 2 files
"in the folder, but they're not invisible and I still can't see them.
"
And I just got one on 6.04 tonight, only this one is on a floppy. I was
trying my usual trick when I get an error copying (to the "super" drive).
The file wouldn't go in the folder I wanted it in, so I tried the root
of the floppy. Wouldn't go there either, so I created a new folder to put
it in. That didn't work either, and that's the folder I can't get rid of now.

"I have a problem. Can't afford NU. How do I fix this without it. Please don't
"tell me to back up and reformat, I am finishing my MS and just don't have the
"time!

So I whipped out Norton and it didn't see a thing wrong with the disk. Neither
did Disk First Aid (surprise).

"How can avoid getting the same problem in the future?? Is it possible that some
"bug in an application created this ?
"--
"Veljko Roskar                            | roskar@jhuvms.bitnet

I continue to maintain that there's more than just hardware problems with
the super drive. Most of the time I can get the file to copy by putting
it someplace else. Actually, I almost forgot, I did get the file to copy
but I couldn't read it back. I just didn't trust it so I tried opening it
with Word.

Shirley Kehr