[comp.sys.mac.system] Making a 2

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (09/06/90)

I have a bunch of Mac SE's with 2 floppy drives (non-superdrives). I also
have a Gatorbox to connect them to a TCP/IP network as well as to an
Appleshare server. Basically my plan was to have users boot off of a
system disk which I would provide, put their data disk in the other drive,
and all of the applications would be on the server.

So much for plans: 800K is *really* small. I have installed the minimal
system (System 6.0.5, Finder and the General, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard
cdev's), MacTCP to connect to the network, Appleshare, Responder, the
LaserWriter 6.0.1 driver and LaserPrep, an AppleTalk Imagewriter driver,
and the Disinfectant INIT (only 5k). Even with only Chooser, Control Panel
and Access Privileges, I only have room left for a few fonts. And, as
I have just found out, you can't switch launch to an Appleshare Volume.

Is there anything I can do to get more fonts, DAs or cdevs for these
Macs? I would really like to have all of the Laserwriter fonts somehow,
but I am slowly losing hope.

Despondently,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (09/06/90)

On the question of how to run floppy-booted systems which talk to an
AppleShare server, I suggest tossing a couple fonts in favor of
Suitcase.  Use Suitcase to open fonts and DAs that are stored on the
server.

Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
"Congress was about to scuttle our defense department ... Could our military
industrial complex be backing Iraq?"  - my mother, 8-4-90

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep5.233555.24101@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:

>Is there anything I can do to get more fonts, DAs or cdevs for these
>Macs? I would really like to have all of the Laserwriter fonts somehow,
>but I am slowly losing hope.

You could try using fontsie to load the fonts.  I believe it's available from
sumex, and it's shareware.  The lab I used to work at uses it, and it works
just fiine.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!