[comp.sys.mac.system] Appleshare & System & MS DOS

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/06/90)

From what I've read, system 7 will be a full peer to peer network, not
requiring a server like it does now.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about an MS-DOS network driver
being written to connect PCs to this network via Appletalk/Flashtalk cards
or Ethernet?  As both server and client?

One might be able to logically assume this would be a good area for TOPS
to get into since they already have the necessary file format conversion
experience, and since TOPS on the Mac end will be made unnecessary by
System 7.

Any rumors?

Charles

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>From what I've read, system 7 will be a full peer to peer network, not
>requiring a server like it does now.

Yes and no. System 7.0 will have a function called "personal Appleshare"
which won't completely replace an appleshare server. It's great if you want
to share files with a couple of people. it's not designed to handle dozens
of people.

Dedicated servers won't be obsolete, but for the quick "come and grab this
file" personal appleshare takes care of the hassle of either needing a
server or resorting to sneakernet.

>I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about an MS-DOS network driver
>being written to connect PCs to this network via Appletalk/Flashtalk cards
>or Ethernet?  As both server and client?

Appleshare PC. It's been shipping for a long time.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small, small world!

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/08/90)

In article <44565@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:
>>From what I've read, system 7 will be a full peer to peer network, not
>>requiring a server like it does now.
>
>Yes and no. System 7.0 will have a function called "personal Appleshare"
>which won't completely replace an appleshare server. It's great if you want
>to share files with a couple of people. it's not designed to handle dozens
>of people.

Great!  Thats all I need it to do!   I realise there is no substitute for
a server in a larger network.  Sometimes it would have been nice to just
hook up a couple of Macs together using Appletalk and not require
a Mac as a server, or need to buy server software.

>>I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about an MS-DOS network driver
>>being written to connect PCs to this network via Appletalk/Flashtalk cards
>>or Ethernet?  As both server and client?
>
>Appleshare PC. It's been shipping for a long time.

I knew Appleshare PC was available, I was just wondering if there was
going to be a version now that allows the PC to share its drives, as
well as the Mac's?

With the new Personal Appleshare, will printers connected directly to
Macs be shareable, or must they continue to be directly on the network?
I would assume they would still be required to be on the network.

Charles