[comp.sys.mac.system] What is System *Z1*-6.0.5?

yeager@sc2a.unige.ch (09/04/90)

I recently installed the English version of System 6.0.5, obtained from my
local (only) dealer, but I'm curious about what "Get Info" and "About the
Finder" tell me:

   Finder Z1-6.1.5
   System Z1-6.0.5

What, if anything, does the "Z1" mean?

-- .- .-. -.-  -.-- . .- --. . .-.
Mark Yeager     ->      yeager@cgeuge52.BITNET         yeager@sc2a.unige.ch
  Univ. of Geneva, Dept. of Biochemistry, Sciences II, 30 quai E. Ansermet,
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland * TEL:+(41 22) 702 6485  FAX:+(41 22) 29 6102
           "But all that moveth doth Mutation love." -- Spenser

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (09/04/90)

The "Z" or "Z1" prefix (it seems to vary) denotes the "International"
version of the system. This has been "localised" for use in Australia
(changing all spellings of "color" to "colour", setting the date format,
defaulting to A4 paper in the printer drivers, making metric the preferred
measurement system etc) and "some smaller European countries" (to quote a
documentation file I saw somewhere). I never thought of New Zealand as
a "smaller European country", but there you go...

Some localisations involve the addition of whole new "script systems"
for handling input and display of non-Roman text--for example, Kanji.

For those who're interested, here's a complete list of all current
localised versions of Mac system software. These are available on
the CD-ROMs that come with the second and third issues of "develop"
magazine.

Country                Version   Disks
-------                -------   -----
Arabic                 AB-6.0.5    4
British                B-6.0.5     4
Chinese (simplified)   CH-6.0.3    5
Chinese (traditional)  TA-6.0.4   12 (also Taiwanese)*
Danish                 DK-6.0.5    4
Dutch                  N-6.0.4     4
Faeroese               FA-6.0.3    4
Finnish                K-6.0.5     4
French                 F-6.0.5     5
French, Canadian       C-6.0.5     4
French, Swiss          SF-6.0.5    4
German                 D-6.0.5     5
German, Swiss          SD-6.0.5    4
Greek                  GR-6.0.4    4
Hebrew                 HB-6.0.4    4
Icelandic              SK-6.0.3    4
International          Z-6.0.5     4
Italian                T-6.0.5     5
Kanji                  J-6.0.4     9
Korean                 KH-1.0      2
Norwegian              H-6.0.5     4
Persian                PS-6.0.3    4
Portuguese             PO-6.0.4    4
Spanish                E-6.0.5     5
Swedish                S-6.0.5     4
Turkish                TU-6.0.4    4
Yugoslavian            YU-6.0.4    4

*There is also another set of 10 floppies containing a "font
option kit" for use on Taiwanese systems.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the air...RATINGS 2!

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (09/04/90)

yeager@sc2a.unige.ch writes:

>I recently installed the English version of System 6.0.5, obtained from my
>local (only) dealer, but I'm curious about what "Get Info" and "About the
>Finder" tell me:

>   Finder Z1-6.1.5
>   System Z1-6.0.5

>What, if anything, does the "Z1" mean?

>-- .- .-. -.-  -.-- . .- --. . .-.
>Mark Yeager     ->      yeager@cgeuge52.BITNET         yeager@sc2a.unige.ch
>  Univ. of Geneva, Dept. of Biochemistry, Sciences II, 30 quai E. Ansermet,
>CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland * TEL:+(41 22) 702 6485  FAX:+(41 22) 29 6102
>           "But all that moveth doth Mutation love." -- Spenser

The 'Z1' designator indicates the software has been internationalized.  There
are a bunch of letter codes to indicate the country/language/area for which
the software has been customized.  You may have the 'English' version of
6.0.5, but that is not the same as the U.S. version which has no prefix
in the version number.

Mike Shoemaker

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/05/90)

In article <249@sc2a.unige.ch> yeager@sc2a.unige.ch writes:
>I recently installed the English version of System 6.0.5, obtained from my
>local (only) dealer, but I'm curious about what "Get Info" and "About the
>Finder" tell me:
>
>   Finder Z1-6.1.5
>   System Z1-6.0.5
>
>What, if anything, does the "Z1" mean?

What's the deal? Didn't we fill out all those silly warranty registration
cards with the added incentive that we would get notice of software updates?
How many $$ does it cost to upgrade (from 6.0.3) and is it worth it?

Niko Schuessler
niko@iastate.edu

dhoyt@vw.acs.umn.edu (09/05/90)

>What's the deal? Didn't we fill out all those silly warranty registration
>cards with the added incentive that we would get notice of software updates?
>How many $$ does it cost to upgrade (from 6.0.3) and is it worth it?

  Your dealer should be able to get a copy for you.  There are a few bugs
fixed in 6.0.5, but a lot of people would tell you not to bother with
the upgrade.  I believe that is Apple's position, but I don't speak for them.

  The new system software, without any documentation, is available on
apple.apple.com for anonymous ftp.  Be sure to read the licensing info before
you copy the new software, however.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (09/08/90)

>There are a few bugs
>fixed in 6.0.5, but a lot of people would tell you not to bother with
>the upgrade.  I believe that is Apple's position, but I don't speak for them.

Once more, with feeling:

System 6.0.5 is *required* if you have a IIfx, or if you have software
that specifically requires it (I don't know of anything that does, but that
doesn't mean that there isn't any). It is also recommended if you have a
IIci or Portable, since there are many bug fixes for those machines. It is
also important if you are running 32-bit Color QuickDraw (ie, using 24-bit
video). Otherwise, you shouldn't *need* to run it, but it should do you
no harm (there are always bug fixes in the each new System release, as well
as new bugs :-).

A side note: System 6.0.6 is coming (used on the new machines, so there
are some significant changes, particularly in the area of sound). Besides
all of the usually-updated files, it will include new versions of the Font/DA
Mover (3.9) and LaserWriter driver (6.0.2, which I believe was released with
the Personal LaserWriter NT - it includes alternage page sizes for that
printer (ie, envelopes), and only changes the pgsz resource, not the md header,
so it should be compatible with 6.0.x.

/ Robert Hammen | Macintosh enthusiast & publishing guru, looking for a job /
/ hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com | 70701.2104@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN        /