[comp.sys.mac.system] Bug in Laserwriter 6.0?

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/10/90)

I often run into a bug in the 6.05i print driver from apple.com.
It produces a command "x y z setrgbcolor" at the beginning of my
postscript file.  This causes my fonts to show up in a light shade of
grey, especially on the first page.

If I delete this command from the postscript file, my job prints
normally.  This erroneous color-setting command shows up with many
applications (Canvas, MS-Word), on our SE/030.  We can't even select
colors on this SE/030, and the problem still occurs.  I just
reinstalled the laserwriter icon, but this did not help.

Is Apple aware of this bug in the driver?  Will it be fixed in the
next release of the printing tools?

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (09/10/90)

In article <70500020@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I often run into a bug in the 6.05i print driver from apple.com.
>It produces a command "x y z setrgbcolor" at the beginning of my
>postscript file.  This causes my fonts to show up in a light shade of
>grey, especially on the first page.
>
>If I delete this command from the postscript file, my job prints
>normally.  This erroneous color-setting command shows up with many
>applications (Canvas, MS-Word), on our SE/030.  We can't even select
>colors on this SE/030, and the problem still occurs.  I just
>reinstalled the laserwriter icon, but this did not help.
>
>Is Apple aware of this bug in the driver?  Will it be fixed in the
>next release of the printing tools?
>

>Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

Have you tried checking the Radio Button next to Print Black and White
instead of allowing the default button to remain on for Print Color?

--
X-----------------------------------------------------------------------------X
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/12/90)

> Have you tried checking the Radio Button next to Print Black and White
> instead of allowing the default button to remain on for Print Color?

"Color/Greyscale" allows me to print half-toned grey scale (i.e. it
shades topological plots from mathematica correctly).

"Black&White" ... "Gives you the same result as the version 5.2
laserwriter driver" (Apple's 6.0.1 teachtext document)

I looked quickly at the postscript output from the "Black&White"
option, and it only uses two grey levels: 0 and 64.

In other words, this is a serious Apple bug.  It is already so common
that I have written a program to filter these stupid "setrgbcolor"'s
out of my postscript file, before printing.