[comp.sys.mac.system] Disabling MultiFinder during Startup

talcott@nunki.usc.edu (Adam Talcott) (09/09/90)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could disable MultiFinder from
one can do this?

--
| Adam Talcott                               | Not a bad bit of rescuing,    |
| talcott@nunki.usc.edu                      | huh?  You know, sometimes I   |

johan@ut-emx (Johan van Zanten) (09/09/90)

   If you hold down the Command (cloverleaf-looking thing) key while
starting up, you will be using the Finder rather than Multifinder.
This is a one time deal, if you restart again (holding no keys down)
your "normal" mode of starting up (configurable through "Set Startup...") will
take effect as usual.

	johan

jason@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jason) (09/10/90)

talcott@nunki.usc.edu (Adam Talcott) writes:

>I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could disable MultiFinder from
>one can do this?

	Hold down the command key.  This also disables some INITs so, if you
have any of those, hold the command key down after they load but before the
Finder desktop appears.
--

                       |  |    |====================|
                       |  |    | Jason Watts        |

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep9.170159.13543@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
jason@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jason) writes:
> talcott@nunki.usc.edu (Adam Talcott) writes:
>
> >I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could disable MultiFinder from
> >one can do this?
>
> 	Hold down the command key.  This also disables some INITs so, if you
> have any of those, hold the command key down after they load but before the
> Finder desktop appears.

I have a vague recollection that this is in the manual... But this is a _Mac_
we're talking about. How did this dreadful practice of hiding features behind
magic combinations of modifier keys sneak into common practice? Would it be
all that difficult to pop up a dialog at launch time, giving a status report
with some options to cancel things?

Of course, in the much-anticipated System 7, there won't be an option to
turn off MultiFinder, but I mean as a general principle, isn't it time
this sort of thing was rooted out?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (09/12/90)

In <1990Sep11.172616.11187@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>In article <1990Sep9.170159.13543@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>jason@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jason) writes:
>> talcott@nunki.usc.edu (Adam Talcott) writes:
>>  >I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could disable MultiFinder
>> Hold down the command key.  This also disables some INITs so, if you
>How did this dreadful practice of hiding features behind
>magic combinations of modifier keys sneak into common practice? Would it be
>all that difficult to pop up a dialog at launch time, giving a status report
>with some options to cancel things?

I agree with you that important things like MultiFinder, generating a post-
script file from the Laserwriter and looking at the hidden Zebra-girl in
MacPaint shouldn't be hidden in mysterious key combinations. But I don't like
your idea about a dialog box at startup time: I want a rather fast startup.

If you want a dialog asking for MultiFinder/no MultiFinder you could use
the utility ToMultiFinder (version 4.0) to accomplish exactly this (look
at sumex "info-mac/util/tomultifinder-40.hqx", shareware $15).

   /Olle

lorin@litsun.epfl.ch (Ronan-Yann Lorin) (09/17/90)

Press the command key.

	Ronan.

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (09/19/90)

lorin@litsun.epfl.ch (Ronan-Yann Lorin) writes:

>Press the command key.

>	Ronan.

A warning for people using the DeskTop Manager:
If you press the command key during startup, it will rebuild the desktop &
erase all file your comments _without asking_.  I found this out the hard
way:  all my comments are vanished.
BTW: of course, it still does start up uniFinder, but it does this extra
for free.  Not something to be happy with.

--
|                 | "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what |
| Jurjen N.E. Bos | it might appear to others that what you were or might |