[comp.sys.mac.system] HELP! Network crash and local personnel useless!

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (09/19/90)

I have been *trying* to use the following network software
together with my Macintosh SE/30 for the past three weeks:

Su-Mac/IP v4.0 for MacTCP, MacTCP v1.0.1, AppleShare v2.0.2,
and EtherTalk v1.2.

I cannot get the programs to work for more than a couple of days
before one or more of the following happens:

1. My Chooser is trashed.
2. My Control Panel is trashed.
3. Various CDEVs and RDEVs are trashed.
4. My System file grows from 557 K to 12,005 K.

In all cases, the only way to seemingly fix the problem is to
reinstall the System Software (I'm using System 6.0.5/Finder 6.1.5).
But if I reinstall the network software and then try to use it for
a couple of days, there's another crash.  I've scanned my hard drive
with Disinfectant 2.1 to make sure there are no viruses, and I've
used several disk diagnostic programs to check the validity of the
disk itself.  The presence or absence of MultiFinder (6.0.5 and/or
6.1b9) doesn't make a difference.  I've tried various INIT
configurations as well as a configuration with *no* INITs other
than those mentioned above, since they *have* to run for network
access to function.

The campus network office (Information Network Services) refuses
to help with the problem, stating only things such as "You must
have done something wrong" and "That can't really be happening".
Unfortunately, they won't even give me the model number of the
Ethernet board they installed in my SE/30 -- I *know* it's made
by Cabletron and I *think* it's the E5000, but I'm not positive.
(Maybe they have something to hide?)

Can *anyone* out there help?  Does anyone have experience with
Su-Mac/IP 4.0 and/or the Cabletron board?  (If not, can you help
anyway?)  I've had to replace my System file *twelve* times in
the past three weeks because of these crashes.  Please, PLEASE,
send me E-mail if you can help me!

Thanks,
-- David Zinkin

--
David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

INTERNET: drz@po.cwru.edu      BITNET: drz%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.033526.9227@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
           drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:
> I have been *trying* to use the following network software
> together with my Macintosh SE/30 for the past three weeks:
>
> Su-Mac/IP v4.0 for MacTCP, MacTCP v1.0.1, AppleShare v2.0.2,
> and EtherTalk v1.2.
>
> I cannot get the programs to work for more than a couple of days
> before one or more of the following happens:
>
> 1. My Chooser is trashed.
> 2. My Control Panel is trashed.
> 3. Various CDEVs and RDEVs are trashed.
> 4. My System file grows from 557 K to 12,005 K.
>
> In all cases, the only way to seemingly fix the problem is to
> reinstall the System Software (I'm using System 6.0.5/Finder 6.1.5).
> But if I reinstall the network software and then try to use it for
> a couple of days, there's another crash.  I've scanned my hard drive
> with Disinfectant 2.1 to make sure there are no viruses, and I've
> used several disk diagnostic programs to check the validity of the
> disk itself.  The presence or absence of MultiFinder (6.0.5 and/or
> 6.1b9) doesn't make a difference.  I've tried various INIT
> configurations as well as a configuration with *no* INITs other
> than those mentioned above, since they *have* to run for network
> access to function.

Hmm, interesting.  I've been having some problems on my Mac IIci lately,
and after reading your message I checked my System file and found that
it's now 5 megabytes.  Given that most of my DAs and fonts are in Suitcase
files, this is rather suspicious.

Not that that's much help to you, of course.  Assuming the same thing is
afflicting both of our systems (which is not likely, but possible), about
the only thing I have in common with your system is MacTcp version 1.0.1.
I just recently upgraded to that from the 1.0 version, and wasn't having
any troubles before the upgrade.  On the other hand, of course, there are
a lot of things that I've changed on my system since then, so who knows
what is causing my System file to grow.

So, this is pure speculation, but has anyone out there noticed problems
with version 1.0.1 of MacTCP?

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (09/20/90)

In article <=9G%'7$@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn)
writes:
> In article <1990Sep19.033526.9227@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
>            drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:
> > I have been *trying* to use the following network software
> > together with my Macintosh SE/30 for the past three weeks:
> >
> > Su-Mac/IP v4.0 for MacTCP, MacTCP v1.0.1, AppleShare v2.0.2,
> > and EtherTalk v1.2.
> >
> > I cannot get the programs to work for more than a couple of days
> > before one or more of the following happens:
> >
> > 1. My Chooser is trashed.
> > 2. My Control Panel is trashed.
> > 3. Various CDEVs and RDEVs are trashed.
> > 4. My System file grows from 557 K to 12,005 K.
> >
> > In all cases, the only way to seemingly fix the problem is to
> > reinstall the System Software (I'm using System 6.0.5/Finder 6.1.5).
> > But if I reinstall the network software and then try to use it for
> > a couple of days, there's another crash.  I've scanned my hard drive
> > with Disinfectant 2.1 to make sure there are no viruses, and I've
> > used several disk diagnostic programs to check the validity of the
> > disk itself.  The presence or absence of MultiFinder (6.0.5 and/or
> > 6.1b9) doesn't make a difference.  I've tried various INIT
> > configurations as well as a configuration with *no* INITs other
> > than those mentioned above, since they *have* to run for network
> > access to function.
>
> Hmm, interesting.  I've been having some problems on my Mac IIci lately,
> and after reading your message I checked my System file and found that
> it's now 5 megabytes.  Given that most of my DAs and fonts are in
Suitcase
> files, this is rather suspicious.
>
> Not that that's much help to you, of course.  Assuming the same thing is
> afflicting both of our systems (which is not likely, but possible),
about
> the only thing I have in common with your system is MacTcp version
1.0.1.
> I just recently upgraded to that from the 1.0 version, and wasn't having
> any troubles before the upgrade.  On the other hand, of course, there
are
> a lot of things that I've changed on my system since then, so who knows
> what is causing my System file to grow.
>
> So, this is pure speculation, but has anyone out there noticed problems
> with version 1.0.1 of MacTCP?

Well, as a follow up to my own message, I'd also recommend that you run
ResEdit on your Huge System File.  That would give you some clues as to
who the culprit might be.  In my case the size of the system file has
nothing to do with MacTCP, but it does have a few megabytes worth of
"DwPF: resources.  These, if you're curious, are DeskWorks Preferences.
One of the other things that I recently installed is the first version of
the "Zedcor Desk" DAs, and apparently one of them is getting quite
confused and storing massive amounts of who-knows-what in my system file.

So, use ResEdit to look for clues on what is making that your own huge
system file so huge.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (09/20/90)

I *wanted* to run ResEdit on the System file, but when I found
that I couldn't even do a "Get Info" on the 12 meg System file
-- the Finder bombed when I tried -- I decided to play it safe
and trash the file.

I suspect that the file may *not* have actually "grown" but that
the file information may have been corrupted.  I'm still not
certain, though.  (And ResEdit is the *last* thing I want to
run on an unstable System!  But I'll try it again the next time
it happens.)

Thanks for the info,
-- Dave Zinkin