[comp.sys.mac.system] Control Panel Woes

kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (09/22/90)

A strange thing has happened to my mac (MacPlus, Finder 6.1, System 6.0.2).
After my Disinfectant INIT warned me about a WDEF A on my hard drive, and
after I removed that infection with Disinfectant 2.1 (on a locked system
floppy), the Icon list in my control panel (on the formerly infected
hard disk) is blank.  All the installed cdevs are still accessible by clicking
on the apropriate spot in the icon list,with the exception of the keyboard
cdev, which will draw part of its control panel, flash a dialog box with
a half drawn OK button, and then black out its control panel.  I've
reinstalled the system, removed all INITS, removed all excess fonts and
DA's,-- in short, I've tried isolating the one variable that nukes my
control panel's icon list.  My conclusion:  its the hard disk.

That conclusion is clearly absurd, but it is the only constant factor.
All reinstalls were done from locked floppys.

Am I missing something?  I sure hope so, and I hope someone out
there will tell me exactly what.

--Dietrich--

|					|				     |
| kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu	|  "Suspicion is the badge of	     |
| 					|   base-born minds, 		     |
|_______________________________________|   And calculation never	     |
|					|   understands."		     |
| "My opinions are entirely my own,	| 		-Virginia Moore      |
|  for who else would want them?"	|		Tragic Conclusions   |
|					|				     |

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (09/22/90)

In article <4065@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>
kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) writes:
> A strange thing has happened to my mac (MacPlus, Finder 6.1, System
6.0.2).
> After my Disinfectant INIT warned me about a WDEF A on my hard drive, and
   ... description of problems with Control Panel removed...
> I've reinstalled the system, removed all INITS, removed all excess fonts
and
> DA's,-- in short, I've tried isolating the one variable that nukes my
> control panel's icon list.  My conclusion:  its the hard disk.

There's probably another variable in the mix.  I'd guess that it isn't the
hard disk per se, but the desktop file that the finder has built for the
hard disk.  See if rebuilding the desktop fixes up the problems you're
seeing.  Another option is to do something that causes the finder to take
another look at all your control panel files (like move them all out of
the system folder, and then move them back in again).

Just some free suggestions, and worth every penny...

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA