[comp.sys.mac.system] ResEdit 2.*

markt@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark Robert Tsombakos) (08/03/90)

Hello! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for MultiFinder 6.1b9.
Now I'm lookin for the new ResEdit 2.whatever. Someone told me they would
send it to me if I wanted, but the name was lost in the list of people who
asked me for MultiFinder!  If someone would like to send it to me, I'd be
appreciative.

	JT	markt@wpi.wpi.edu

draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (08/04/90)

markt@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes:

>Hello! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for MultiFinder 6.1b9.
>Now I'm lookin for the new ResEdit 2.whatever. Someone told me they would
>send it to me if I wanted, but the name was lost in the list of people who
>asked me for MultiFinder!  If someone would like to send it to me, I'd be
>appreciative.

>	JT	markt@wpi.wpi.edu

There seems to be a high degree of demand for these two programs.  Is
there any reason, legal or other, that they can't be made available for
anonymous FTP?  Or failing that, posted to the mac .hqx newsgroup?  Or
failing that, put up on a mail-server somewhere?

Assuming that none of these things are possible, I'd appreciate it if
some kind soul would send me copies of both, as well.

Thank you for your time.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/04/90)

/* Written  9:27 pm  Aug  3, 1990 by draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU */
 > markt@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes:
 > > Hello! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for MultiFinder
 > > 6.1b9.  Now I'm lookin for the new ResEdit 2.whatever.
 >
 > There seems to be a high degree of demand for these two programs.  Is
 > there any reason, legal or other, that they can't be made available for
 > anonymous FTP?  Or failing that, posted to the mac .hqx newsgroup?  Or
 > failing that, put up on a mail-server somewhere?
 >
 > Assuming that none of these things are possible, I'd appreciate it if
 > some kind soul would send me copies of both, as well.

Ditto.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/05/90)

In article <95300004@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  9:27 pm  Aug  3, 1990 by draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU */
> > markt@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes:
> > > Hello! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for MultiFinder
> > > 6.1b9.  Now I'm lookin for the new ResEdit 2.whatever.
> >
> > There seems to be a high degree of demand for these two programs.  Is
> > there any reason, legal or other, that they can't be made available for
> > anonymous FTP?  Or failing that, posted to the mac .hqx newsgroup?  Or
> > failing that, put up on a mail-server somewhere?
> >
> > Assuming that none of these things are possible, I'd appreciate it if
> > some kind soul would send me copies of both, as well.
>
>Ditto.
>

>Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
>Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug4.213220.24200@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)

I don't think price is the issue.  ResEdit 1.2 can be downloaded from
places like CompuServe, and Apple wouldn't allow that if they wanted to
make a profit on ResEdit.  It's true that APDA sells ResEdit 1.2 for $30,
but for the price you also get a manual and sample code for custom pickers
and editors.  I think the issue is simply whether unreleased (beta)
software will be made available to non-developers.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (08/06/90)

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>draphsor@portia.stanford.edu writes:
>>markt@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes:
>>> Hello! Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for MultiFinder
>>> 6.1b9.  Now I'm lookin for the new ResEdit 2.whatever.

>> There seems to be a high degree of demand for these two programs.  Is
>> there any reason, legal or other, that they can't be made available for
>> anonymous FTP?  Or failing that, posted to the mac .hqx newsgroup?  Or
>> failing that, put up on a mail-server somewhere?

>> Assuming that none of these things are possible, I'd appreciate it if
>> some kind soul would send me copies of both, as well.

>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)

I hadn't realized this.  Thank you for clarifying this fact.  Please
withdraw my request for ResEdit 2.*.

As for MultiFinder, it being system software I'd imagine that it *is*
free.  Anyone with any information to the contrary, please let me know.

>David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
>University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }
>Computing Organizations {  those of my employers (or anybody else). }

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

In article <1990Aug4.213220.24200@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:

>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)

Well, APDA sells Multifinder and the system software too.  Doesn't make them
unable to be anon ftp'ed.  Since ResEdit is licensable for electronic
distribution from apple, it would seem to follow that Apple itself could
electronically distribute it.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/06/90)

In article <3376@usceast.UUCP> jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) writes:
>In article <1990Aug4.213220.24200@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)
>
>I don't think price is the issue.  ResEdit 1.2 can be downloaded from
>places like CompuServe, and Apple wouldn't allow that if they wanted to
>make a profit on ResEdit.  It's true that APDA sells ResEdit 1.2 for $30,
>but for the price you also get a manual and sample code for custom pickers
>and editors.  I think the issue is simply whether unreleased (beta)
>software will be made available to non-developers.

From what I've heard, the issue is tracking who has copies of ResEdit
period, not just beta copies.  Forums like AppleLink (and CompuServe,
I would assume, though I'm not sure) allow them to keep track of who
actually has copies of the software.  What their motives are, I'm not
precisely sure.  Perhaps to send out update or bug information, or to
keep tabs on who might have what can be a rather dangerous utility.

In article <1990Aug6.140334.13458@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>Well, APDA sells Multifinder and the system software too.  Doesn't make them
>unable to be anon ftp'ed.  Since ResEdit is licensable for electronic
>distribution from apple, it would seem to follow that Apple itself could
>electronically distribute it.

True enough, but Apple doesn't make it available for anonymous FTP.  I'd
be surprised, too, if Apple's licensing agreement (for other companies,
that is) allowed ResEdit to be distributed to anonymous users.  They do
allow distribution on CompuServer and AppleLink (and probably others),
but access to those services is controlled (which, as I said in another
message, is the point--Apple doesn't want ResEdit to be available to
any user without having some information about them).

--

In article <1990Aug6.152935.25118@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>In article <3376@usceast.UUCP> jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) writes:
>>
>>I don't think price is the issue.  ResEdit 1.2 can be downloaded from
>>places like CompuServe, and Apple wouldn't allow that if they wanted to
>>make a profit on ResEdit.  It's true that APDA sells ResEdit 1.2 for $30,
>>but for the price you also get a manual and sample code for custom pickers
>>and editors.  I think the issue is simply whether unreleased (beta)
>>software will be made available to non-developers.
>
>From what I've heard, the issue is tracking who has copies of ResEdit
>period, not just beta copies.  Forums like AppleLink (and CompuServe,
>I would assume, though I'm not sure) allow them to keep track of who
>actually has copies of the software.  What their motives are, I'm not
>precisely sure.  Perhaps to send out update or bug information, or to
>keep tabs on who might have what can be a rather dangerous utility.

Nope, this one doesn't hold up either.  Many BBSs have electronic distribution
rights, and many can't track who downloads it, or won't give any such info to
Apple.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug6.152935.25118@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
...[stuff deleted]
>From what I've heard, the issue is tracking who has copies of ResEdit
>period, not just beta copies.  Forums like AppleLink (and CompuServe,
>I would assume, though I'm not sure) allow them to keep track of who
>actually has copies of the software.
[stuff deleted]

I find it hard to believe that CompuServe, America Online, GEnie et al.
keep records of who downloads ResEdit and forward those records to Apple.
Not impossible, but farfetched.  And if those places were keeping records
of everything I download, I'd be upset.

I wish someone from Apple would step in and settle this.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug5.182816.13453@portia.Stanford.EDU> draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
>dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>>draphsor@portia.stanford.edu writes:
>>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)
>
>I hadn't realized this.  Thank you for clarifying this fact.  Please
>withdraw my request for ResEdit 2.*.
>
>As for MultiFinder, it being system software I'd imagine that it *is*
>free.  Anyone with any information to the contrary, please let me know.

Well, "free" isn't precise enough to be very meaningful.  For you, as
an individual, they are both rather "free".

In all cases Apple is *very* protective about their copyrights.  They
will make it very clear to anyone who asks that they own the system
software, they own ResEdit.

These programs are not public domain.

Apple distributes these (and other) programs very carefully to
preserve their clear ownership.  All organizations which want to
distribute them must first be licensed by Apple.  This is not very
expensive, but it must be done.

Apple does not seem to insist that individuals are subject to the same
restrictions on system software.  I have never heard of Apple getting
upset with an individual who casually gives someone a copy of ResEdit
or MultiFinder.  They have left this as foggy as their lawyers will
allow.  If we force them to answer officially, they will likely say
no, otherwise they seem to say "ok".  They really *want* us to have up
to date system software.

The point is to remember that there are three different categories of
Apple software:

  1) System Software, ResEdit, HyperCard upgrades etc.  These are
     designed to support the Macintosh, Apple pays for them by
     charging a lot for the computer itself.  Apple's primary concern
     in controlling distribution is to preserve control and copyright
     ownership.  If you look around you can find these for free.

  2) Commercial products.  These are AppleShare, MacTerminal,
     InterPol, etc.  These are not to be given away.  They are
     designed to be sold by Apple at a profit.  Apple wants to make
     money on these, you have to pay for them.

  3) Confidential software.  This *cannot* be distributed or bought.
     Obviously this is QuickDraw source code, etc.  Get caught with it
     and Apple will do their best to send you to jail.  This also
     includes super-secret copies of AppleMail or new QuickDraw seeded
     to only a couple developers, this
     includes much less secret beta copies of HyperCard 2.0, this
     includes still less secret copies of System 7.0 alpha.  None of
     these may be distributed outside of Apple's constraints.  Most of
     these cannot even be *talked* about.  (May System 7.0 alpha is a
     rare exception.)

There are foggy items: MultiFinder 6.1b9 and HyperCard for those who
bought their Macs before HyperCard was bundled.  6.1b9 is slightly in
group 3, but now it is on the developer CD, maybe ftp, etc.  Apple is
clearly only interested in keeping it from being so widespread that
people think it is released.  Another foggy item is HyperCard for
earlier Mac purchasers might be in category 3.  Apple might think they
should buy it.  I did.

So, if some individual offers to mail you a copy of ResEdit, don't
feel like a criminal when you accept it.  Apple wants techie-types to
have ResEdit.  Don't, however, go put it on your mail server without
an Apple license, and don't post it to the open net (Which has not
signed a license--who would you hand the pen to?), but go ahead an
crash your disk with it.

Clear?

(I do work for Apple.  I do not speak for Apple.  I post this from
what I have gleaned by watching Apple and reading MacLeak.  I have
violated no nondisclosure agreements in writing the above.  Please
correct me if I made any errors about QuickDraw and AppleMail.)
Kent Borg      internet: kent@camex.com    MacNet: kentborg      AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
"Congress was about to scuttle our defense department ... Could our military
industrial complex be backing Iraq?"  - my mother, 8-4-90

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (08/07/90)

>ResEdit is _not_ free.  It is sold by APDA (not sure of the price), like any
>of the tools in the MPW Suite.  Putting ResEdit up for anonymous FTP or
>mailing to somebody would be just like putting up MPW or any of the
>MPW compilers.  (I don't think the same is true of MultiFinder, however.)
>David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
>University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }
>Computing Organizations {  those of my employers (or anybody else). }

Then how come I was able to get ResEdit 1.3d1 from the info-mac archives?
It is not listed in the directory, but can be requested under:
/util/resedit-13d1.hqx, at least that's what it was a year ago...
  Sari Khoury                    3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET
  Art Department                 skhoury@postcard.engin.umich.edu
  Central Michigan University    bushido!khoury@umich.edu
  Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug6.181217.14886@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>Nope, this one doesn't hold up either.  Many BBSs have electronic distribution
>rights, and many can't track who downloads it, or won't give any such info to
>Apple.

BBS systems that offer system software for downloading pay a small yearly
fee for the license, which allows them to offer the current system software,
Hypercard, and other utilities. In their license, they are required to keep
track of who downloads the software. Apple may never request the information,
but going by the license, the sysops are obligated to keep it.

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu         SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET:  322/575.1                         508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

d9bertil@hackes.dtek.chalmers.se (Bertil Jonell) (08/10/90)

>So, if some individual offers to mail you a copy of ResEdit, don't
>feel like a criminal when you accept it.  Apple wants techie-types to
>have ResEdit.

Well then, If anyone would like to mail me a ResEdit2.something, I'd be very
grateful.

-bertil-
--
Bertil K K Jonell @ Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg
NET: d9bertil@dtek.chalmers.se

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (08/11/90)

>>So, if some individual offers to mail you a copy of ResEdit, don't
>>feel like a criminal when you accept it.  Apple wants techie-types to
>>have ResEdit.

> Well then, If anyone would like to mail me a ResEdit2.something, I'd be very
> grateful.

Me  TOO !!!!

Thanks.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP =-=-= or =-=-= david@jc3b23.UUCP =-=-=-=-=
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------<
=-=-= St. Petersburg Junior College =-=-=-= St. Petersburg, Florida =-=-=

kklw@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Kevin K L WONG) (08/13/90)

In article <981@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>>>So, if some individual offers to mail you a copy of ResEdit, don't
>>>feel like a criminal when you accept it.  Apple wants techie-types to
>>>have ResEdit.

>> Well then, If anyone would like to mail me a ResEdit2.something, I'd be very
>> grateful.

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

>Me  TOO !!!!
>
>Thanks.

SAME HERE !!
Thank you.
|  Kevin WONG                       |  ACSnet   : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ       |
|  Department of Elec Engineering   |  internet : kklw@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU    |
|  University of Melbourne          |  uunet    : uunet!munnari!mullian!kklw  |

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org (Steve Hideg (Mr. Fabulous)) (08/14/90)

In article <5046@munnari.oz.au> kklw@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Kevin K L WONG)
writes:

> >> Well then, If anyone would like to mail me a ResEdit2.something, I'd
be very
> >> grateful.
>
> >=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=

> >Me  TOO !!!!
> >
> >Thanks.
>
> SAME HERE !!
> Thank you.

And myself, as well.
Many thanks.

____________________________________
Steve Hideg (N8HSC)

hideg@spsd3260a.erim.org

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (08/16/90)

>>> Well then, If anyone would like to mail me a ResEdit2.something, I'd be very
>>> grateful.
>
>>Me  TOO !!!!
>>Thanks.
>
>SAME HERE !!
>Thank you.

Absolutely! Me 2 -- pretty please!
Merci buckets.

(Shouldn't this thread be in comp.sys.mac.wanted...? :-)

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
                    | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | +44 279 429531 x2763            | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'

peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman) (08/17/90)

Would a c.b.m posting be out of the question?

Peter Hi

        Peter "You're doing computing as an ARTS degree!" Hickman
      COGS U/G PH, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.syma ------------
    "Lego is the Mechano of the intellectual cripple" - Aaron Sloman
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.tsuna -----------
      "More beer, more shouting, resistance is useless" - USTA bars

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (08/18/90)

In article <1990Aug6.155227.25625@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
>In article <1990Aug6.140334.13458@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>>
>>Well, APDA sells Multifinder and the system software too.  Doesn't make them
>>unable to be anon ftp'ed.  Since ResEdit is licensable for electronic
>>distribution from apple, it would seem to follow that Apple itself could
>>electronically distribute it.
>
>True enough, but Apple doesn't make it available for anonymous FTP.  I'd
>be surprised, too, if Apple's licensing agreement (for other companies,
>that is) allowed ResEdit to be distributed to anonymous users.  They do
>allow distribution on CompuServer and AppleLink (and probably others),
>but access to those services is controlled (which, as I said in another
>message, is the point--Apple doesn't want ResEdit to be available to
>any user without having some information about them).

This was the exact same reason the heros at DTS had to work through before
being allowed to put up the system software on apple.com. The legal droids
needed the assurance that the distribution was NOT wide open. If I remember
correctly, they modified the ftp server to keep a log of all transfers. This
was sufficient for the droids then, so why would Resedit 2.0 be different?
Hmmm?

Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Aug4.022708.15515@portia.Stanford.EDU> draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) writes:
#>
#>There seems to be a high degree of demand for these two programs.  Is
#>there any reason, legal or other, that they can't be made available for
#>anonymous FTP?  Or failing that, posted to the mac .hqx newsgroup?  Or
#>failing that, put up on a mail-server somewhere?
#>
#>Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

There is a reason; it's called a license. I quote from the
September 1990 Berkeley Computing Bulletin: "This licensing
agreement applies to all Macintosh computers in use on campus
as well as to Macintosh computers owned by students enrolled
at the university." So, it would be a violation of our license
to send copies off campus.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Stanford
and other universities have similar Apple licenses and will make
system software, including the new ResEdit, available.
Alternatively, nothing prevents you from agitating that they
obtain such a license if they don't already have one.

Steve Goldfield

[...]

System software isn't strictly free, though Apple dealers are
given the option by Apple of giving it away. They are also
allowed to charge for it.

Indeed, if you buy the complete system with manuals, you always
have to pay for it (when you bought a new machine, you did pay for
it).

Steve Goldfield

jdon@drutx.ATT.COM (BookJD) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep4.231315.16025@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
> There is a reason; it's called a license. I quote from the
> September 1990 Berkeley Computing Bulletin: "This licensing
> agreement applies to all Macintosh computers in use on campus
> as well as to Macintosh computers owned by students enrolled
> at the university."
> Steve Goldfield

I wonder if Apple found out how buggy 2.0b1 is and decided to delay
the release until it was worked into better shape. I managed to get
a copy off of GEnie last week and experiences some serious system
crashes when working with menu resources. One case flipped out my
video board, so I had lock-up plus noise in living color on my
monitor. I'm going to wait for the next release!

J. Don Book - DR-AT&T - (303) 538-3001

"I'm a disclaimed rookie programmer." - me

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep5.154853.11922@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>System software isn't strictly free, though Apple dealers are
>given the option by Apple of giving it away. They are also
>allowed to charge for it.
>
>Indeed, if you buy the complete system with manuals, you always
>have to pay for it (when you bought a new machine, you did pay for
>it).

	As far as I know, Apple Dealers can only charge for system
	software if they are selling you the package with manuals.
	If you bring your own disks to the dealer, you should not be
	charged for getting a system update.

	---

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (09/22/90)

In article <2839@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:

> 	As far as I know, Apple Dealers can only charge for system
> 	software if they are selling you the package with manuals.
> 	If you bring your own disks to the dealer, you should not be
> 	charged for getting a system update.

Based on what I've heard, Apple _recommends_ that dealers permit users
to make copies of the dealers' master System Software distribution disk
set.  Apple does not _require_ it, and does not attempt to specify or
enforce the terms under which the copying takes place.

Some dealers allow people to make copies at no charge, using the user's
own disks (original System disk set, or blank floppies).  Bravo for
these dealers.

Some dealers charge a copying fee, or require that the users purchase
four new floppies from the dealer.  I can understand why dealers would
wish to do this (avoiding virus infections or damage from physically-
contaminated floppies, compensation for tying up a demo-machine on the
floor, etc.).

Some dealers say "No, we don't do that.  If you want new system
software, we'll sell you the package."  Dealers who take this position
are trying to maximize their profit at users' expense;  I'd recommend
finding another dealer.

Some dealers say "Apple doesn't let us do that, because the system
software is copyrighted.  We can only sell you a new set."  Dealers who
say this are probably misinformed about Apple's policies;  asking them
politely to check Apple's real policies on AppleLink may be productive.
It's also possible that a dealer who says this, is deliberately lying to
you and is really trying to make a fast buck;  if the dealer refuses to
check AppleLink and find out the truth, I'd suggest locating another
dealer.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/22/90)

By the way, how do you change certain objects with ResEdit 1.2?  It no
longer lets you edit files which are "In use by another application".
So, for instance, I can't think of a way to edit the desktop file with
this version of ResEdit.  I don't like this restriction and consider
it to be a bug.  Is there a workaround?

draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (09/24/90)

In article <70500036@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>By the way, how do you change certain objects with ResEdit 1.2?  It no
>longer lets you edit files which are "In use by another application".
>So, for instance, I can't think of a way to edit the desktop file with
>this version of ResEdit.  I don't like this restriction and consider
>it to be a bug.  Is there a workaround?

The simple workaround is to simply duplicate the file and edit the copy.
You can then trash the original and replace it with the edited copy.

The other workaround is to operate in finder (as opposed to MultiFinder)
mode.  This should allow you to edit everything except the application
you're running at the time (ie resedit).

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu