[comp.sys.mac.system] Res Code -5000

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (09/21/90)

I can't find Result Code -5000 in Inside Mac. vols. III or V.  I have had
problems with applications giving error messages with references to this
result code lately.  It has something to do with the file system I guess.
On one occasion it appeared when HyperCard tried to open a stack.  It was
possible to open the same stack by double-clicking it.
Anybody know what the code -5000 indicates?

Actually the problem may have disappeared after I ran Disk First Aid.  It
found an error and was able to correct it.  However, I still wonder how
the error got there.  Is it possible that an infection by WDEF A (for a
few days) lately may be the source?

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.093914.5487@ulrik.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no (Espen
J. Vestre) writes:

> I can't find Result Code -5000 in Inside Mac. vols. III or V.  I have
> had problems with applications giving error messages with references to this
> result code lately.  It has something to do with the file system I
> guess.  On one occasion it appeared when HyperCard tried to open a stack.
> It was possible to open the same stack by double-clicking it.
> Anybody know what the code -5000 indicates?

Error -5000 is an "AFP access denied" error.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (09/25/90)

In article <45022@apple.Apple.COM> winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott
Winders) writes:
> Error -5000 is an "AFP access denied" error.
>
> Scott Winders
> internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
> AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

First I wish to send a "Thank you!" to Scott and to all the others who
responded with personal letters!

It is however still a bit unclear how I got an "AFP access denied" error
when (for instance) HyperCard tried to open a Stack on a local volume.  I
strongly suspect that the short WDEF infection I had may have corrupted
the file system, so watch out for WDEF!  Disinfectant 2.1 is great for
protection, I have replaced Vaccine with the Disinfectant INIT on my
machine since this happened.

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo