[comp.sys.mac.system] Systems for older Macs

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (09/22/90)

I recently added a scsi port and a harddisk to my 512KE.  (Magicscsi from
MacProducts: I'm not impressed, but it does seem to work.  Shoddy construction
though.  Ehman 60+ from their summer special.  It seems to be ok, though it
acted a little funny.  When we got started.)

On the HD was a copy of 6.0.4, and, to my amazement, it worked!  Sort of.
The machine booted from it, but under it, as well as under the system I
usually run (5.4?) I couldn't copy anything to or from the HD (defined as
SCSI device 1.)  Today I reset it to #6, and it lets me do things under
5.4 (I removed 6.0.4.)

My question is, I know that Apple has published guidelines for what
systems software is best for each model, but does anyone out there have
any advice about running later  versions than they recommend?  I'm
aware of the problem or running out of memory (it is a little scary
to have Multifinder available on a 512.  I was too chicken to run it
though.)

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/25/90)

In article <2714@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
>My question is, I know that Apple has published guidelines for what
>systems software is best for each model, but does anyone out there have
>any advice about running later  versions than they recommend?

I run 6.0.5 on my 512KE (2MB, SCSI) with no problems to speak of.
I dunno how it would act with only 512K of memory; it probably wouldn't
be terribly pleasant.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.211011.17230@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <2714@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) writes:
>>My question is, I know that Apple has published guidelines for what
>>systems software is best for each model, but does anyone out there have
>>any advice about running later  versions than they recommend?
>
>I run 6.0.5 on my 512KE (2MB, SCSI) with no problems to speak of.
>I dunno how it would act with only 512K of memory; it probably wouldn't
>be terribly pleasant.

I ran 6.0.x on my 512ke with SCSI and only 512k of RAM. I had a
system switcher which let me toggle my Blessed Folder when I needed to
run a program which required 6.0.x.

It was slow. It was pruned of all but necessary fonts and DA's and
INITs.

You could not run some larger packages under it, though they were usually
polite about it, and didn't crash. (Think C and Excel come to mind)

I now have 4 meg on my 512ke so 6.0.5 is no longer a problem.

Apple recommends system 3.2, but since you have a SCSI drive, I suspect
you will want to use system 5.4 to get the split shutdown/restart function
so you can safely turn off your hard drive.

It will consume more memory than 3.2, but less than 6.0.x. You'll
need to be a little conservative of INITs and fonts.

A memory upgrade will make a fantastic change. My MacRescue came
with built in SCSI, so I didn't have to worry about the compatibility
of my old SCSI port with my memory upgrade. The old one is on a shelf now.
But it performed great for two years.

jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086