[comp.sys.mac.system] what's special about monaco 9

cramer@iex.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (09/20/90)

Hmmmm...

I got tired of not being able to tell the difference between a capital letter
"eye" and a lower case "el" when I use the Monaco font.  Simple enough, I
thought, I'll just add feet to the "eye" in the system font resource. So
anyways, I changed the 12 pt version and presto -- it worked as I expected.
But the changes to the 9 pt version don't seem to have taken hold -- ResEdit
says my eye has a foot (:-), but no applications recognize my change.

Is 9pt Monaco treated special?  Can this special treatment be overcome?  Are
the Rangers really out of the pennant race?

Bill Cramer
IEX Corporation
Plano, Texas
{uunet,convex,ntvax}!iex!cramer

rick@jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.145245.10893@iex.uucp> cramer@iex.iex.com (Bill Cramer) writes:
> . . . I changed the 12 pt version and presto -- it worked as I expected.
>But the changes to the 9 pt version don't seem to have taken hold -- ResEdit
>says my eye has a foot (:-), but no applications recognize my change.
>
>Is 9pt Monaco treated special?  Can this special treatment be overcome?  Are
>the Rangers really out of the pennant race?
>
>Bill Cramer

Monaco 9, Geneva 9 & 12, and Chicago 12 are stored in ROM.  To get the system
to use the versions in the System file, you need to edit the ROv# resource
corresponding to your machine:  117=Mac+, 630=SE, 376=Mac II, 1660=Mac IIfx,
and I'm not sure about other machines.  In the ROv# resource, add the resource
type and ID of the ROM resource you want to override.  For Monaco 9, for
example, you would override FONT 521.  And yes, the Rangers really are out
of the pennant race.

Rick Wong
rick@jessica.stanford.edu

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (09/22/90)

Cramer) writes:

> I got tired of not being able to tell the difference between a capital
> letter "eye" and a lower case "el" when I use the Monaco font.  Simple
> enough, I thought, I'll just add feet to the "eye" in the system font
> resource. So anyways, I changed the 12 pt version and presto -- it worked as
> I expected. But the changes to the 9 pt version don't seem to have taken
> hold -- ResEdit says my eye has a foot (:-), but no applications recognize
> my change.
>
> Is 9pt Monaco treated special?  Can this special treatment be overcome?

You are probably using a Macintosh that has Monaco 9 in ROM. You will need
to override the Monaco ROM resource with your modified resource.  This is
documented on page IV-20 of Inside Macintosh Volume IV.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (09/22/90)

>Is 9pt Monaco treated special?  Can this special treatment be overcome?

You're gonna need a ROM burner to overcome this problem.  Seems when
Apple saw all the extra room in the 256K (or was it the 128K) ROMs, they
decided to stick the standard fonts, Chicago 12, Geneva and Monoco 9
along with the arrow cursor, into the ROMs.  The copies in the System
file are for backward compatibility with your every-day 128K Mac (RAM,
not ROM).

Lunarmobiscuit  (Luni)                  Internet Address:
MacMach Project                           ml10@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University

palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com (Colonel Mode) (09/24/90)

An easier way to override system fonts in ROM is to convert your replacement
FONT resource to an NFNT resource. NFNTs are used in preference to FONTs.

*****
Chris Palmer
palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com
phone (508)486-6667 dtn 226-6667

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/02/90)

In article <EaybWPu00UhWA2ge0M@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Michael A. Libes) writes:
>>Is 9pt Monaco treated special?  Can this special treatment be overcome?
>
>You're gonna need a ROM burner to overcome this problem.  Seems when
>Apple saw all the extra room in the 256K (or was it the 128K) ROMs, they
>decided to stick the standard fonts, Chicago 12, Geneva and Monoco 9
>along with the arrow cursor, into the ROMs.  The copies in the System
>file are for backward compatibility with your every-day 128K Mac (RAM,
>not ROM).

Not at all. How do you think Apple patches the ROMs?

Among other ways, with the Rov# resources. Stick one in your system file,
and it'll point to a resource which the Mac should take from the System
File instead of ROM. I don't remeber the format offhand but if you ask
ResEdit to make you one the format should be pretty clear. The only tricky
part is that there's a "magic" number for each variant of mac. They're
documented (where?), but I don't remember them offhand. You could always
make one Rov# for each magic number, just to be safe. You can find a list
of those numbers by looking at all the numbers of the various PTCH resources,
one PTCH per Mac.

---
Alexis Rosen
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis