[comp.sys.mac.system] Laser Printer Password Question

rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/27/90)

I have re-posted this from comp.sys.mac.

I have two short questions.  Can anyone help?
1) How can someone print to a postscript file in Microsoft Word?
   (there is a way in Matlab and in MacWrite but Microsoft was
    unable to tell me how to do it in Word, though the support
    staff was convinced you could do it).
2) How do you change the printer password sent to your laser printer
   from a Macintosh?

I'll give some context for the last question so people can perhaps
help with the real problem.  It recently came to the attention of
our network manager that there was a worm/virus/trojan horse around
that screwed up laser printers by changing the password for the
Postscript engine.  The password defaults to 0 and the virus relies
on this.  So, we changed the password.

Our IBM printing software we have adjusted to this change.  No-one
here knows how to adjust the Macintosh software to allow us to send
the new password to the printer so our files will print.  Since the
laser driver is a centralized construction, this ought to be easy
to do, provided you know where to look, which we don't.

I would greatly appreciate any help from any readers.

--
========
Robert Corless, Applied Mathematics, University of Western Ontario

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (09/27/90)

In article <7160.2701a77e@uwovax.uwo.ca> rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>I'll give some context for the last question so people can perhaps
>help with the real problem.  It recently came to the attention of
>our network manager that there was a worm/virus/trojan horse around
>that screwed up laser printers by changing the password for the
>Postscript engine.  The password defaults to 0 and the virus relies
>on this.  So, we changed the password.
>
>Our IBM printing software we have adjusted to this change.  No-one
>here knows how to adjust the Macintosh software to allow us to send
>the new password to the printer so our files will print.  Since the
>laser driver is a centralized construction, this ought to be easy
>to do, provided you know where to look, which we don't.

The laserwriter has a password?

Can someone tell me more, please?

-Drew

Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet
77 Massachusetts Ave.   Phone: (617) 253-7174
Cambridge, MA  02139    ** All disclaimers apply **

rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/28/90)

The file <info-mac>tips>generating-postscript.txt has been passed on
to me.  Thank you very much for doing so.

I will attempt to print on our printer now by manually inserting the
password change into the generated files.  If I have to keep doing
this this will cause me some pain, however.  Does anyone have
suggestions for curing this problem permanently?

--
========
Robert Corless, Applied Mathematics, University of Western Ontario
========               London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B9
e-mail    : RCORLESS@uwovax.uwo.ca

rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.160100.3949@athena.mit.edu> abennett@athena.mit.edu
(Andrew Bennett) writes

>The laserwriter has a password?
>Can someone tell me more, please?
>-Drew

Our network manager, Professor David Jeffrey, writes in reply:

Certain features of a postscript printer can only be changed after
you quote a password. Thus if I send the following postscript file
to a laser printer, it spits out a sheet of paper with the
obvious message printed on it:

100 100 moveto
(This message will print and the page will be ejected) show
showpage

Now, however, suppose I want to change the baud rate on the serial
connection, or permanently download the fonts used by my word
processing package. I first must quote the password.
If I send

25 9600 2 setsccbatch

then nothing will happen. If I send

serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
25 9600 2 sccbatch

then voila! the printer is now using a 25-pin connection at 9600 baud.
The 0 in the above is the password. If I want to change it I execute

oldpassword newpassword setpassword

If the old password is 0, then any program can change it for you.

_______________

Rob Corless speaking again.

In the context of the Macintosh, what happens is that after I have
physically moved the printer down to my office (the Mac Vaps haven't
been installed in the network - novell netware - yet) and hook it
up and Choose it, I then try to print my Microsoft Word document.
It tries to do it, but the PrintMonitor flashes at me.  Looking at
the PrintMonitor I try again and this time see a message that
includes the words "incorrect password".  So setting the password
affects the start of a print job somehow.  I would like to be
able to make my driver know what the password is.  If I knew where
to find the
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
command I could change the zero to what I need.  But, I don't
know where this is kept.  I expect that I will have to use RezEdit
but the hard part there is knowing where to look.

--
========

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (09/28/90)

In article <7183.27032a8a@uwovax.uwo.ca> rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I would like to be
>able to make my driver know what the password is.  If I knew where
>to find the
>serverdict begin 0 exitserver
>command I could change the zero to what I need.

Within the "LaserWriter" file, you will find the above command in
STR# ID = -4093

Hope this helps.

chaz

       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

rcorless@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/02/90)

Two people responded helpfully to my query about finding "the" place to
change the password for the LaserWriter.  I am posting their responses
and a summary of my progress so far.

Dave Platt (dplatt@coherent.com) writes:
>Dig through the LaserPrep file, looking for the "exitserver" operator.
>The number immediately before this operator is the password.  Edit this
>password in a copy of LaserPrep.  Distribute the modified LaserPrep file
>to all of your users.

I could not find "exitserver" anywhere in the LaserPrep file.

Chaz Larson (clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu) writes:

>Within the "LaserWriter" file, you will find the above command in
>STR# ID = -4093

>Hope this helps.

This string is indeed there, and I changed the 0 there to our new
password.  However, this didn't help.  I still got the Error:
password incorrect:  OffendingCommand: exitserver message from
the printer.  So I looked a bit further and found "exitserver" in
3 more places in the LaserWriter file:  in POST -8161 "exitserver"
is part of the definition of a PostScript word ExitServer, whose
purpose I am unable to fathom.  The sequence serverdict begin
exitserver, without a 0 between the begin and exitserver, occurs
in ExitServer.  I made no changes here.

In POST -8192 there is a sequence serverdict begin 0 exitserver,
which apparently is what is issued after a printer error in the
case of a restart.  I changed the 0 here to our password.

In PREC -109 the operator "exitserver" appears in what is apparently
a message that is issued after a printer error.  I made no changes
here.

I found no other occurrences of "exitserver".

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.  I still get the error message.
I checked via the IBM machines that I do indeed know the
correct password.

I suspect I have missed finding the crucial place - perhaps in LaserPrep?
It may be hardwired in somewhere, or it may be that word ExitServer
needs to be modified.  Can anyone help?

In the meantime, I am working around it by using Xtalk from an IBM
to set the password back to 0 and then trundling the printer down
here to use.  This of course leaves the printer vulnerable while I
am using it, and I have to set the password back when I take it back.

--
========