[comp.sys.mac.system] Downloading resident fonts

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.135938.12496@jafus.mi.org>, eddy@jafus.mi.org (Eddy J. Gurney) writes:
> Secondly, I don't have a PostScript printer connected to my IIcx at
> home.  (Unfortunately 8-)  So, when I need something printed out, I
> will use the "Click-and-hold-OK, hold-Command-K, Release-mouse-button,
> Wait-for-'Creating PostScript'-dialog" method of printing PS files to
> disk.  Here's where the problem comes in:
>
> I use A.T.M., and hence, have all the LaserWriter PS Fonts in a
> directory in my System Folder.  When I create this PS file, it CONTAINS
> the downloadable versions of all the fonts I used in the document, even
> though they're resident in the printer!  So, to save disk space and
> transfer time, I have to move all the fonts to another directory, then
> move them back after "printing" to disk.  A REAL pain - but worthwhile
> for ATM's sake.

A commonly asked question with an elegant solution. When the Laserwriter driver
creates the Postscript file, it looks for the fonts _both_ by name and type.
ATM, however, only looks for the name. So, all you have to do is change the
type, (I use ResEdit) to something _other_ than LWFN (I use xWFN) and ATM will
work fine, but the Laserwriter driver will think that that the fonts do not
exist and will not include them in the postscript file. So, you can just change
the types of the "Standard 35" so they won't be included. Be aware, however,
that when you do this, you will lose the Adobe "A" icon. No big deal, but just
don't be surprised by all the blank "document" icons in your system folder.

Good luck!

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

gmoff@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Moffat) (10/08/90)

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:

>the types of the "Standard 35" so they won't be included. Be aware, however,
>that when you do this, you will lose the Adobe "A" icon. No big deal, but just
>don't be surprised by all the blank "document" icons in your system folder.
Use resEdit to add an FREF resource to whichever part of ATM (I believe it's
a CDEV & an INIT) has the bundle - link your new type (xWFN) to the id
number of the required ICN#.  Then rebuild the desktop to get the icon back.

--
    Graeme Moffat                         Phone : +64 9 737 999  x8384
    Computer Aided Design Centre,         Fax   : +64 9 366 0702