[comp.sys.mac.system] Any way to fix system heap other than HeapFixer?

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (10/11/90)

I've had suggestions that the reason 6.0.5 is crashing upon exiting
Print Monitor (and others are having similar problems with DA's) is
because the System Heap is filling up.  I checked and the System has
a free area of about a pixel or two wide (according to about Finder).
Is there any way other than Heap Fixer to get more heap space allocated?

Thanks,
Jim

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/12/90)

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) writes:

> because the System Heap is filling up.  I checked and the System has
> a free area of about a pixel or two wide (according to about Finder).

You should really have about 20% or so of free heap space. Sounds like
it is time that you go after it with HeapFixer.

> Is there any way other than Heap Fixer to get more heap space allocated?

There is another utility called HeapTools that will adjust your system
heap, however I find it troublesome and not too accurate. You can find
HeapTools on many of the online services. It may be at sumex, too. I
think HeapFixer would be your best bet, is there a reason why you don't
want to use it? Maybe I can help?

John