[comp.sys.mac.system] What is the difference between the MAC 512, 512K, 512KE ??

kelly@ipla01.hac.com (Keith Kelly) (10/08/90)

Could someone explain the difference between the MAC 512, 512K, 512KE and
any of the other varients of the MAC 512?  Thanks in advance.
--
Keith Kelly                    Internet   : kelly@ipla01.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Company        UUCP       : uunet!hacgate!ipla01!kelly

drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/08/90)

The Mac 512 has the original 64K Mac ROM set found in the Macintosh 128.
It supports only 400k floppy drives and the original Macintosh File System
(flat-file, no folders).  It's also called the Mac 512K or the Mac 512K
unenhanced.

The Mac 512KE has the same 128K ROM set found in the Macintosh Plus.  It
supports the 800K floppy drives and the Hierarchical File System
(folders).  It's also called the Mac 512E or the 512 enhanced.

I believe that these are the only "Mac 512" models ever made by Apple.
(Of course, I've been wrong before.)  Neither is still manufactured, though
a 512-to-512KE upgrade kit, which must be installed by an "authorized
Apple dealer", is still available.

(Then again, remember *who* authorizes the dealers.  Scary, isn't it?!)

David Zinkin -- Case Western Reserve University (Student) and
      Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

INTERNET: drz@po.cwru.edu      BITNET: drz%po.cwru.edu@cunyvm

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct8.035009.23730@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:
>The Mac 512 has the original 64K Mac ROM set found in the Macintosh 128.
>It supports only 400k floppy drives and the original Macintosh File System
>(flat-file, no folders).  It's also called the Mac 512K or the Mac 512K
>unenhanced.

    This is not the whole truth about Mac 512's (or 128's).  They can
be made to support HFS and 800K drives without a ROM upgrade.  Apple
came out with HD20 disks before 128K ROMs, so they released a file
called Hard Disk 20 to put in your System Folder.  If it's there, the
128 or 512 unenhanced will support an external 800K drive and HFS disks.
I'm sure hundreds or thousands of people wasted money on upgrades
when all they wanted was an 800K floppy or a Hard Disk 20.

   I can email copies of this file.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
--