[comp.sys.mac.system] The Mouse -- What is its Histor

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/10/90)

I thought the reason Xerox went to a two button mouse, was that
"chording" (depressing two buttons at once) was a decent substitute
for a 3rd button (assuming double-chording was not needed).  It may be
that Engelbrecht did not consider this trick, hence, the Xerox mouse
is still a faithful incarnation of his ideas.

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (10/11/90)

In article <70500062@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> I thought the reason Xerox went to a two button mouse, was that
> "chording" (depressing two buttons at once) was a decent substitute
> for a 3rd button (assuming double-chording was not needed).  It may be
> that Engelbrecht did not consider this trick, hence, the Xerox mouse
> is still a faithful incarnation of his ideas.

That may have been Xerox's rationale, but I would think that the
ergonomics would be rather poor.

It's worth noting that Engelbart's mouse is an integrated part of a
complete user-interface system that does not resemble the interface
systems developed by Xerox, Apple, or anyone else.  Engelbart's system
does not use the mouse for selecting commands on menus, and even when it
is used to select text it works very differently from other systems.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/13/90)

Why not use three buttons for 3 mice pointers?  Dedicate one button to
each mouse.  While using mouse A, clicking on button B or button C
selects mouse B or mouse C.  Then, buttons B & C control the action of
pointers B & C.  The mouse pictures could be different colors or
shades to keep them distinct!

You could have a marvelous time jumping back and forth across large
screen displays!

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (10/13/90)

>Why not use three buttons for 3 mice pointers?  Dedicate one button to

Why not have the three buttons randomly change function, based on
the phase of the moon and the time of day.

... just like X windows

:-)

.

--

-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/15/90)

/* Written 5:35 pm Oct 13, 1990 by rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl in
m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.system */ /* ---------- "Re: The Mouse --
What is its Histor" ---------- */

> In all articles in this thread only two existing ways of using a mouse
> have been discussed (Mac and Xerox) ....  On this side of the ocean
> however, another GUI exists on the Acorn Archimedes which incorporates
> a three button mouse.  For right hand users, the buttons are called
> (from left to right) SELECT, MENU and ADJUST.

Actually, none of the three mentioned interfaces are really different.
The only difference is where you put the "MENU" and "ADJUST" keys --
on the mouse, or on the keyboard.  I don't see that much of a difference.

	SELECT		MENU		ADJUST		Comments
Mac	mouse-1		mouse-1 +	shift+mouse-1	Pull-Down menus
			screen location

Xerox	mouse-1		mouse-1 +	mouse-2		right button
Viewpoint		screen location			underutilized

Xerox	mouse-1		mouse-1+mouse-2	mouse-3		2 buttons suffice
XDE

Acorn	mouse-1		mouse-2		mouse-3		Many Xeroids work in
& LISPm's (I think)					Acorn / Palo Alto
& many other systems...					Labs

It would be a neat hack to add pull-down menues to the Macintosh --
just write an INIT that looks for control-click in the finder, and
then pops up a menu based on the menu bar.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

/* Written  2:57 pm  Oct 14, 1990 by gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.system */