[comp.sys.mac.system] Colors missing from Apple menu icon

vita@oxford.dab.ge.com (Mark Vita) (10/16/90)

After upgrading my Mac II from System 6.0.3 to System 6.0.5 this
weekend, I noticed a minor bit of strangeness: the Apple atop my Apple
menu is black, instead of multicolored like it used to be.

The odd thing is, if I boot off the 6.0.5 System Tools floppy, I do
get the multicolored Apple.

At first I thought maybe something had gone amiss patching the 6.0.3
files to 6.0.5, so I completely erased the System Folder on the hard
disk and tried again--same result.

I did check the Monitors cdev and the display was indeed set to 256
colors.  No other INITs were present.

By the way, I installed using the "Minimal system software for the
Macintosh II" option.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this?  I fear it may be
indicative of some greater evil lurking somewhere.  Besides, I liked
my rainbow Apple :-).

Thanks in advance for any clues you can provide...

--
Mark Vita                                  vita@sunny.dab.ge.com
Advanced Engineering

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (10/17/90)

In article <6253@ge-dab.GE.COM>, vita@oxford.dab.ge.com (Mark Vita) writes...

>After upgrading my Mac II from System 6.0.3 to System 6.0.5 this
>weekend, I noticed a minor bit of strangeness: the Apple atop my Apple
>menu is black, instead of multicolored like it used to be.
> <omitted>
>By the way, I installed using the "Minimal system software for the
>Macintosh II" option.

Bingo.  Minimal installations omit (among other things) color
support.  It is generally intended that you use this for things
like fitting Disinfectant onto a bootable system floppy, or disk
recovery tools, etc.  For things like this you don't need color.

The minimum installations also omit all support for patches
needed by other ROM sets, meaning you can't copy the system file
to a different cpu;  you have to install again.

Just reinstall with the main install script, instead of the
"minimal" script.

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

Very, very simple. The color apple is actually a color icon stored in the
system. You installed the minimal system, which considers the color icon
a frivolty and leaves it out. So, ha!

Just look it up on the system tools disk and paste it into your minimal
system.

In article <6253@ge-dab.GE.COM> vita@oxford.dab.ge.com (Mark Vita) writes:
>After upgrading my Mac II from System 6.0.3 to System 6.0.5 this
>weekend, I noticed a minor bit of strangeness: the Apple atop my Apple
>menu is black, instead of multicolored like it used to be.

>By the way, I installed using the "Minimal system software for the
>Macintosh II" option.

The minimal system software option doesn't include the color apple-- it's
extraneous.  It also doesn't have the color 'picasso mac' on the boot screen.

vita@oxford.dab.ge.com (Mark Vita) (10/18/90)

This is me again, responding to my own message about the monochrome
apple icon after upgrading to 6.0.5.  Several people sent me e-mail
and identified the "minimal" script as the culprit; apparently this
script leaves out "frivolous" items such as color Apple icons.

Some people suggested that I re-install using the "full" option.
However, I found that I could correct the problem by opening the
System file on the System Tools disk with ResEdit and copying the
"cicn" resources contained therein into the System file on my hard
disk.  BTW, there are actually two such cicn's: the aforementioned
color apple, and also the little Macintosh logo that appears next to
the "Welcome to Macintosh" message.

Kind of irritating that the minimal script leaves those out to save
such a piddling amount of space.  Anyone know of any other things I
might be surprised to find are missing (other than the obvious things
like Multifinder, DA Handler, Backgrounder, etc.)?

My conclusion from all this is that there really should be another
category of installer scripts, that will install a machine-specific
version of the system software, but that will include *full
functionality* (Multifinder, color icons, the whole bit).  You can't
do this automatically as it stands now.  If you choose "System
software for the Macintosh <xxx>", you get a System that can be booted
on any Mac.  I assume, therefore, that the System file contains
patches and whatnot for other machines, which I would rather not have
consuming space on my internal hard disk (which will never be booted
on another machine).  If you choose "Minimal system software for the
Macintosh <xxx>", you do get a System file without (I assume) unneeded
patches, etc., but you also don't get Multifinder, DA Handler, the
aforementioned color icons, etc.; if you want these you need to
manually copy them from the System floppies.  My impression is that
Apple would like to discourage people from doing manual copies (hence
the Installer).  Ah well, just had to get that off my chest.

Thanks again to all who responded to my query...