[comp.sys.mac.system] DA memory problem

georgew@june.cs.washington.edu (Georges Winkenbach) (10/16/90)

I would appreciate any help in trying to solve this
problem:

I tried to use the GCC Print Envelope DA on a mac II ci
running multifinder. Every time I try to print an envelope,
the DA comes back, after a while, with an "error, not
enough memory" alert box. I have 8meg of memory. I have
also successfully printed more complex documents from
within applications.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to
fix the amount of memory a DA is allowed to use under
mac OS (and multifinder)?

thanks for any help,

george

P.S. I'm relatively new to the mac world; I hope this is
     not a dumb question.

georgew@cs.washington.edu

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (10/17/90)

In article <13397@june.cs.washington.edu> georgew@june.cs.washington.edu (Georges Winkenbach) writes:
>I tried to use the GCC Print Envelope DA on a mac II ci
>running multifinder. Every time I try to print an envelope,
>the DA comes back, after a while, with an "error, not
>enough memory" alert box. I have 8meg of memory. I have
>also successfully printed more complex documents from
>within applications.
>
>Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to
>fix the amount of memory a DA is allowed to use under
>mac OS (and multifinder)?
>P.S. I'm relatively new to the mac world; I hope this is
>     not a dumb question.
     Not a dumb question at all.  Under MultiFinder, DAs run under a special
application called DA Handler; and, like other applications, it gets a certain
amount of memory.  Unfortunately, the default amount is something ridiculously
small (16K, I believe), and Finder doesn't let you change it.
     To see if this is the problem, try holding down the Option key while you
open the DA; this uses the current application's memory pool instead of DA
Handler's.  If it works then, you need to fix DA Handler.
     The only way I know of to fix it is to use ResEdit; you should be able to
get a copy from a dealer or user group.  From ResEdit, open the "DA Handler"
file in the System Folder, open its "SIZE" resource, scroll down to the "Size"
field at the end of the resource, and type in some more sensible number (like
64000 or 80000) there in place of the 16000.
     If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you could probably find some
Mac wiz at your site to do it for you. (Come to think of it, *I'm* from your
site... :) )
--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (10/20/90)

In article <13397@june.cs.washington.edu> georgew@june.cs.washington.edu (Georges Winkenbach) writes:

>I tried to use the GCC Print Envelope DA on a mac II ci
>running multifinder. Every time I try to print an envelope,
>the DA comes back, after a while, with an "error, not
>enough memory" alert box. I have 8meg of memory. I have
>also successfully printed more complex documents from
>within applications.

Under MultiFinder, DA's run under the System Heap.  Chances are, the system
heap could not expand.  If this is the case, there are two solutions:

o Use 'Heap Fixer' or 'Widgets' to expand your System heap.

<or>

o Hold down the option key while selecting the DA.  This will make the
  DA run in the current application heap.  (This is probably a better
  solution)

These two suggestions apply to DA's in general when running under MF only.