[comp.sys.mac.system] SE/30 vs. IIsi

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (10/18/90)

In article <3725@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> das@media-lab.media.mit.edu (David Sheppard) writes:
>I'm trying to decide whether to buy an SE/30 or Mac IIsi.
>From what I've read, they are basically similar:
>       cpu  speed    max memory   slots  pmmu   fpa     floppy
>SE/30  030  16MHz  8MB(8 slots)   1 PDS  (030)  68882   1.44MB
>IIsi   030  20MHz 17MB(4 slots)  si-slot (030) optional 1.44MB

The SE/30 will take 4 meg SIMMs, sot can be upgraded to 32 meg.  The si has
1 meg on the motherboard and 4 SIMM slots.

>With a PDS or NuBus adaptor, the si seems to be a 20% faster,

As I understand it, the si video is like the ci.  It shares RAM.  Apparently
the video can access the 1 meg onboard while the cpu is accessing the SIMM
memory.  I'm not a tech, but this is supposed to slow the machine down in
some cases.

I think the SE/30 is a better option.  If I outgrow a particular video card,
I can sell it and replace it.  Expansion capacity to 32 meg (128 in theory if
the SIMMs are designed right - according to myanual) is nice and roomy.  I
Portability is handy - I can unplug it, put keyboard/mouse in one hand and the
box in the other and I'm off.  If necessary, I can buy a Nubus expansion box
running out of the PDS.

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/20/90)

/* Written 10:51 pm  Oct 17, 1990 by awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.system */
As I understand it, the si video is like the ci.  It shares RAM.  Apparently
the video can access the 1 meg onboard while the cpu is accessing the SIMM
memory.  I'm not a tech, but this is supposed to slow the machine down in
some cases.
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.system */

Just a note: I went for a job with Wolfram not too long ago. Didn't get it but
found out at one point that they can't stand the ci video. They say that in
8 bits they get a 25% _decrease_ in performance, down to mac II, so they just
put NuBus video cards in. It's only an advantage in 1 or 2 bit mode, no
difference in 4.

Mark Lanett