[comp.sys.mac.system] How to update Word 4.0?

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (10/11/90)

If anyone can tell me how to get the updates to 4.0a or 4.0b, please
mail me how. Thanx.

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (10/12/90)

In article <793@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:
>If anyone can tell me how to get the updates to 4.0a or 4.0b, please
>mail me how. Thanx.

Call Microsoft and request the upgrade.

--
X-----------------------------------------------------------------------------X
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/13/90)

I talked to microsoft tech support (high praise).  They said version
4.0a and 4.0b only fix (1) compatibility with IIci/IIfx & color nubus
cards, and (2) ATM, fractional widths with imagewriters.

I was having problems with printing complex graphics in a word
document, and microsoft suggested (1) turning off: text smoothing ,
graphics smoothing, font substitution, and also (2) trying to "copy as
picture" the graphic, once in WORD, and then repaste it back into
word.  Apparently, this reprocesses the picture which might fix the
printing problems.  There are serious problems getting half-point
lines to print in MS-Word, because printing reinitialization is
sometimes necessary (and word cannot do it).

microsoft corporation
redmond, washington
1-800-426-9400  (main number)

direct by key
1-tech assistance (product support
  (1-206-454-2030)
  (press star to repeat options)
  (pound key to return to beginning)
   windows - 1
   dos - 2
   mac - 3  -> word - 1  (here is where I talked to the guy).
   lang - 4
   hd - 5
   further help - 0

2-educational institute (reseller ed sales/service 1-800-227-4679)

jlhaferman@l_eld01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (10/13/90)

From article <70500066@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, by gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu:

[stuff deleted]

> microsoft corporation
> redmond, washington
> 1-800-426-9400  (main number)

I called Microsoft about a week ago for the update.  They told me
they were out of stock and it would be 2 to 3 weeks.  Yesterday
I received the update via Federal Express. I'm impressed.

The package says 'cust serve word 4.0(f)', making me think, "hmmm,
4.0(f)".  However, a get info on the Word Application says version
4.0(c).  The accompanying "readme" also says 4.0(c).  I guess the
only difference between (b) and (c) is that (c) fixes a compatibility
problem for "windows".

Most of the improvements to (b) had to do with fractional widths for
the image writer and problems with the IIci.  Also fixes some bug for
DAs which have multiple windows.  There was also mention of a problem
with the "space before" preference that has been fixed.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

Arthur.Yuter@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Arthur Yuter) (10/16/90)

To update, just call MicroSoft's customer support with your registration
number handy.  They'll promptly mail the update to you for free.

--
Arthur Yuter via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Arthur.Yuter

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/22/90)

> To update, just call MicroSoft's customer support with your registration
> number handy.  They'll promptly mail the update to you for free.

Assuming that you need the update.  If you don't need the update (i.e.
you have no imagewriter w/ATM, and no IIci), then there is no reason
to request it.