[comp.sys.mac.system] System 6.0.7 & beep sound problem

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (10/19/90)

I just loaded System 6.0.7 last night, and it has worked flawlessly, except for
one problem with my beep sounds. Most of my beep sounds no longer work, with
most programs not playing anything (Navigator, ResEdit), while SoundEdit
crashes spectacularly upon simply opening the resource.

Is there a bug? Were these sounds not in proper format before? These are
snd resources in a document that is held open by Suitcase II. The sounds that
I personally made in SoundEdit work, but the ones I got from elsewhere do not.

They worked under System 6.0.4.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

dhoyt@vw.acs.umn.edu (10/20/90)

In article <27060@mimsy.umd.edu>, folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes...
>I just loaded System 6.0.7 last night, and it has worked flawlessly, except for
>one problem with my beep sounds. Most of my beep sounds no longer work, with
>most programs not playing anything (Navigator, ResEdit), while SoundEdit
>crashes spectacularly upon simply opening the resource.
  I noticed the same thing.  I solved the problem by creating new sound
suitcases with the sound mover package.  I am also using Suitcase II, if this
makes any difference.

  First close out all of your sound suitcases.  Then use Sound Mover to create
new suitcases.  Copy the sounds out of the old suitcase into the new suitcase.
Install the new suitcases.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/20/90)

writes:
> I just loaded System 6.0.7 last night, and it has worked flawlessly,
except for
> one problem with my beep sounds. Most of my beep sounds no longer work,
with
> most programs not playing anything

This happened to me, too. I fixed by using the new Sound Mover 1.62 (just
posted at sumex) to copy the snds into a suitcase, which I then opened
with Suitcase II. This fixed the problem. If you don't have Suitcase II,
you can probably achieve the same result by re-pasting the snds back into
your System file.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

ribet@maalox.berkeley.edu (Kenneth A. Ribet) (10/23/90)

In article <2514@ux.acs.umn.edu> dhoyt@vw.acs.umn.edu writes:
>In article <27060@mimsy.umd.edu>, folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes...
>>I just loaded System 6.0.7 last night, and it has worked flawlessly, except for
>>one problem with my beep sounds....

>  I noticed the same thing.  I solved the problem by creating new sound
>suitcases with the sound mover package.  I am also using Suitcase II, if this
>makes any difference.
>
>  First close out all of your sound suitcases.  Then use Sound Mover to create
>new suitcases.  Copy the sounds out of the old suitcase into the new suitcase.
>Install the new suitcases.
>
>david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

The net is great!!!  I installed 6.0.7 this weekend, had the sound
problem on two machines, and was completely stymied.  I actually tried
something similar to what was recommended, but using an old Sound
Mover.  No progress!

It occurred to me a few minutes ago that other people might have had
the same difficulty, so I checked this group.  Sure 'nuff!
I just used Sound Mover 1.6.2, and bingo!, my sounds are back.  I'm
pretty impressed!!!  Thanks, all.

Ken Ribet
...ucbvax!pepto-bismol!ribet