[comp.sys.mac.system] New Macs--System 6.0.7

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (10/16/90)

     According to the bits I've managed to acquire of the Mac Classic/etc.
press release, System 6.0.7 is required to use some of their new features (the
microphone for sound input, etc.).
     Does this new System release have anything of interest to owners of older
Macs?  When will it be available?  Will it be on apple.com?
     (To think I just upgraded to 6.0.5 last week...  it's so hard to stay
current these days... :) )
--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/16/90)

In article <9331@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes:
>     According to the bits I've managed to acquire of the Mac Classic/etc.
>press release, System 6.0.7 is required to use some of their new features (the
>microphone for sound input, etc.).
>     Does this new System release have anything of interest to owners of older
>Macs?  When will it be available?  Will it be on apple.com?

	The new System Software has System 7.0's new Sound Manager in it,
allowing not only the use of the sound capabilities of the IIsi and LC, but
other features such as sound file compression, and asynchronous playback (you
can play sounds while doing disk access), for example.
	As for whether or not it'll be on apple.com or ftp.apple.com, I
haven't the slightest.  Does there exist an Apple being out there who can
grant us a definitive answer?

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (10/17/90)

From: bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Bruce Burkhalter)

Actually System 6.0.7 is a *very* late bug fix.  System 6.0.6 was suppose to
be the version for the new machines (and it is the version that is in the box).
Taped to the outside of the box is System 6.0.7 and note saying to use it and
not 6.0.6.

This was a big surprise.  Developers get alpha, beta, and final versions of the
System before it ships and we never heard a word about it.  I dug around
AppleLink and found a note saying that 6.0.7 fixed an AppleTalk bug. It did
not have any other details but it must have been a bad bug.

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett) (10/17/90)

Is anyone from Apple listening?  If you ftp to apple.com and raid the directory
/pub/dts/sw.license, you will find system 6.0.7 listed, BUT it is NOT copiable.

So if any one from Apple out there could you, assist and get the priveledges
changed.

Any help will be gratefully apreciated.

					james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.eduP

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/17/90)

In article <28859@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDUIn article <9331@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes: writes:
>Actually System 6.0.7 is a *very* late bug fix.
>...6.0.7 fixed an AppleTalk bug.

According to MacWEEK 10.16.90:

...Apple recently discovered two rare but annoying bugs.  One could, under
certain circumstances, cause the Mac to indicate, erroneously, that it had
lost its connections with an AppleShare server or a printer.  The other
sometimes caused the LC to fail to recognize its keyboard until the mouse
was moved.

chaz

--
"I Am The Reincarnation of Lady Godiva", Claims Jane Fonda.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (10/19/90)

In article <2480@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
writes:
> In article <28859@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDUIn
article <9331@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu
(Mark Phaedrus) writes: writes:
> >Actually System 6.0.7 is a *very* late bug fix.
> >...6.0.7 fixed an AppleTalk bug.
>
> According to MacWEEK 10.16.90:
>
> ...Apple recently discovered two rare but annoying bugs.  One could, under
> certain circumstances, cause the Mac to indicate, erroneously, that it had
> lost its connections with an AppleShare server or a printer.  The other
> sometimes caused the LC to fail to recognize its keyboard until the mouse
> was moved.

A more accurate description of the "AppleTalk" bug is that because of a
late bug fix for AppleTalk, AppleTalk's patch to SysEnvirons wasn't being
installed in all cases, and in certain circumstances, SysEnvirons would
return a version of 0 for AppleTalk, indicating that it wasn't installed.
Some software would indicate that you need to install (or enable) AppleTalk. I don't believe that you could "lose its connections." 6.0.7 fixes this, and some bug with one of the ADB traps.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (10/20/90)

In article <28859@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> bruce@cory.Berkeley.EDUIn article <9331@milton.u.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) writes: writes:
[ about 6.0.6 and 6.0.7]
>This was a big surprise.  Developers get alpha, beta, and final versions of the
>System before it ships and we never heard a word about it.  I dug around
>AppleLink and found a note saying that 6.0.7 fixed an AppleTalk bug. It did
>not have any other details but it must have been a bad bug.

As I understand it, the bug caused SysEnvirons to return an AppleTalk version
of 0. Naturally, this would cause many applications and utilities that use
AppleTalk to fail.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/23/90)

In article <38348@ut-emx.uucp> james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett) writes:
>Is anyone from Apple listening?  If you ftp to apple.com and raid the directory
>/pub/dts/sw.license, you will find system 6.0.7 listed, BUT it is NOT copiable.

Then I'd love to know how I installed it from there a few nights ago.
It is possible that they remove access during the day to keep the
machine load down.  ( You DO do all your anonymous ftp'ing at night,
don't you?)

Download it, run unstuff it, load the images into Apple Disk Copy,
create your master disks, and install of the 6.0.7 masters.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,