[comp.sys.mac.system] ResEdit 2.0b2

souka@kl.msc.umn.edu (Omar Souka) (08/16/90)

In the latest MacTech Journal (formerly MacTech Quarterly, formerly
APDAlog...), there is an article about ResEdit 2.0b2.  At the end of the
article it says the ResEdit 2.0b2 is NOW available from APDA.

Omar Souka
Minnesota Supercomputer Center
souka@msc.edu

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (08/22/90)

In <2376@uc.msc.umn.edu>, Omar Souka (souka@kl.msc.umn.edu) writes:

>In the latest MacTech Journal (formerly MacTech Quarterly, formerly
>APDAlog...), there is an article about ResEdit 2.0b2.  At the end of the
>article it says the ResEdit 2.0b2 is NOW available from APDA.

Alas, Omar. The only thing available is the _manual_. I asked APDA about it
and got the following reply:

>From:  IN%"B.BELL@AppleLink.Apple.COM" 17-AUG-1990 14:42:54.47
>To:    LDG@YODA.BYU.EDU
>Subj:  RE: RESEDIT
>
>Dear Lyle--
>
>We only have the manual available for Resedit 2.0b2 at this time.  The part
>number is M0015llC - $12.95.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Barbara Bell-Taylor

The author of the article (Tom Chavez) was misinformed.
So I still don't know where to find ResEdit 2.0b2!

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
                        |             --Louise Kohl     | AOL: LGunderson

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (08/22/90)

ResEdit 2.0b2 has just shown up on America Online.  If this isn't a
mistake, maybe it's a sign that Apple is going to start distributing
ResEdit 2.0b2 more freely.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

casey@auspex.auspex.com (Casey Cox) (08/22/90)

Good news!  I just downloaded a copy of ResEdit 2.0b2 from America Online!

Casey Cox
Auspex Systems
(408)492-0900

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (08/23/90)

In article <192ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu writes:
> In <2376@uc.msc.umn.edu>, Omar Souka (souka@kl.msc.umn.edu) writes:
>
> >In the latest MacTech Journal (formerly MacTech Quarterly, formerly
> >APDAlog...), there is an article about ResEdit 2.0b2.  At the end of the
> >article it says the ResEdit 2.0b2 is NOW available from APDA.
>
> Alas, Omar. The only thing available is the _manual_. I asked APDA about
> it and got the following reply:
>
> >From:  IN%"B.BELL@AppleLink.Apple.COM" 17-AUG-1990 14:42:54.47
> >To:    LDG@YODA.BYU.EDU
> >Subj:  RE: RESEDIT
> >
> >Dear Lyle--
> >
> >We only have the manual available for Resedit 2.0b2 at this time.  The
> >part number is M0015llC - $12.95.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >
> >Barbara Bell-Taylor
>
> The author of the article (Tom Chavez) was misinformed.
> So I still don't know where to find ResEdit 2.0b2!

Hmm, should be interesting.  I called up APDA today, and asked them what
the latest version of ResEdit was available.  They said I could get a beta
version of 2.0, or the release version of 1.2.  I ordered ResEdit
2.0b<mumble_mumble> from them.  Presumably they are sending ResEdit
itself, and not just a manual...  If this thread is still lurching along
when I get my order, I'll let you know what they sent.  I believe the price
was noticably more than $12, but don't remember the specifics.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) (08/23/90)

casey@auspex.auspex.com (Casey Cox) writes:

>Good news!  I just downloaded a copy of ResEdit 2.0b2 from America Online!

Well if this is the case then will some kind soul fire off copies to sumex
and rascal?  Thanks!
--
 "Nobody cries as the innocent die and | Ramsey Dow, starving undergraduate
 the guilty go free in this world ..." | UUCP: ...!gatech!kd4nc!rbdc!ramsey

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (08/24/90)

Here is the REAL story about the availability of ResEdit v.2.0B2 through
APDA:

The following three products are orderable NOW through APDA:
ResEdit v. 2.0B2 (manual and disk), M0910LL/A, $30.00
ResEdit v. 2.0B2 (disk only), M0899LL/A, $17.00
ResEdit v. 2.0B2 (manual only), M0015LL/C, $12.95

Currently, only the manual product (M0015LL/C) is shipping, but they are all
orderable and all should be shipping within a week.

Also, for the first time, the ResEdit v. 2.0B2 manual has been published by
Addison-Wesley Publishing Company as part of the Apple Technical Library.
Thus, the manual-only product should also be available in Technical Bookstores
where you find Inside Macintosh.  Addison-Wesley had printed copies of the
ResEdit v. 2.0B2 manual available at Macworld in Boston a couple of weeks
ago, so I know that they are available.  The manual-only product available
through APDA is the same as the one being distributed by Addison-Wesley.  This
allows people who get the software from other sources (i.e. user groups or on-
line services) to get the manual more easily.

We are making the disk-only product available through APDA for those who
purchase the manual in a bookstore, but have no other way to get the software
except from APDA.

One last note:  ResEdit is NOT in the public domain.  It is Apple-copyrighted
software.  All the on-line services and user groups that legally distribute
ResEdit have signed a license with Apple to do so.  For more information on
licensing, contact Apple Software Licensing at:

Apple Software Licensing
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 38-I
Cupertino, CA  95014
e-mail: SW.LICENSE@applelink.apple.com
(408) 974-4667

APDA can be reached at:

APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 33-G
Cupertino, CA  95014
e-mail: APDA@applelink.apple.com
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (elsewhere)

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

time@tbomb.ice.com (TIm Endres) (08/24/90)

In article <M8_%F9#@rpi.edu>, Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:
> In article <192ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu writes:
> > In <2376@uc.msc.umn.edu>, Omar Souka (souka@kl.msc.umn.edu) writes:
> >
> ----- Lots of discussion about availability of ResEdit 2.0b2.

I have found it on the latest developer CD!
The CD is labeled "Disky Business".
tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@tbomb.ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  ...uunet!oxtrap!tbomb!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |
---

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.141733.7040@rbdc> ramsey@rbdc (Ramsey Dow) writes:
>casey@auspex.auspex.com (Casey Cox) writes:
>
>>Good news!  I just downloaded a copy of ResEdit 2.0b2 from America Online!
>
>Well if this is the case then will some kind soul fire off copies to sumex
>and rascal?  Thanks!

To the person doing the "frequently asked questions for the comp.sys.mac.*
groups"...

Would you please solicit an answer for --
  Q: If "system" software can be distributed on CI$, AO, etc., why
     can't I put it on my public FTP site?

from someone in the know? (say, someone from DTS)  Most of us
basically know that it has to do with the Apple lawyers, and
protection of copyrights (if a program is given out too freely, it
becomes public domain by default?) but it's just so unobvious that the
topic seems to come up about once every month.

Much like "why is my Apple icon blinking?", this is a question which
I would be happy to never see again.  A perfectly natural question,
but one which occurs too often.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) (08/26/90)

In article <3998@newton.physics.purdue.edu> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>  Q: If "system" software can be distributed on CI$, AO, etc., why
>     can't I put it on my public FTP site?

A few people have mentioned ResEdit being on CompuServe, but I can't
find 2.0 there, only 1.2.

If 2.0 really is on CompuServe, could someone tell me where it's hidden?
(The File Finder couldn't find it.)

--
james "kibo" parry, 138 birch lane, scotia, ny 12302 <-- close to schenectady.
kibo@pawl.rpi.edu            _________________________________________________

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (08/26/90)

In article <3998@newton.physics.purdue.edu> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>Would you please solicit an answer for --
>  Q: If "system" software can be distributed on CI$, AO, etc., why
>     can't I put it on my public FTP site?
>
>from someone in the know? (say, someone from DTS)  Most of us
>basically know that it has to do with the Apple lawyers, and
>protection of copyrights (if a program is given out too freely, it
>becomes public domain by default?) but it's just so unobvious that the
>topic seems to come up about once every month.

I just got a crazy idea that might not work. :-)

Maybe Apple could encrypt software license stuff and set the password
to something like "This software is copyright 1990 Apple Computer". That
way anyone who used the software would absolutely have to read the
copyright notice somewhere and even aknowledge it.

As I said: crazy idea that might not work...

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  /   HP S /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /   48 X /

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (08/26/90)

In article <1L|%8D%@rpi.edu> kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
>In article <3998@newton.physics.purdue.edu> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>>  Q: If "system" software can be distributed on CI$, AO, etc., why
>>     can't I put it on my public FTP site?

Hey, kibo.  Take my sentence out of context, why don't you.
The correct form of quoting this article would have been:

>In article <3998@newton.physics.purdue.edu> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) bitches about people who ask:
>>  Q: ...

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu <<-- close to schenectady

ws7m@ws7m.UUCP (Mark R. Holbrook) (10/28/90)

Hi, I just downloaded a copy of ResEdit 2.0b2 from a local BBS.  My question
is whether this should be used on system version 6.0.5.   My associate gave
me a copy of ResEdit 2.0 which after some fooling with he told me not to use
cause it was intended for systems other than 6.0.5 and might cause trouble on
6.0.5.  What is the situation?  Can I use 2.0b2 safely on 6.0.5?

Thanks...  Mark

ws7m!ws7m@hub.ucsb.edu