[comp.sys.mac.system] Help--crashes on SE/30 & ci

JEILOLA@MTUS5.BITNET (johndan johnson-eilola) (10/28/90)

I've been having some strange (but similar) problems on two macs I use:
At first, I have problems copying files from the hd to floppies (Finder
gives an error message and skips the file).  Soon, double-clicking
icons hangs the machine (within a week or two of the copying problems);
The machines also hang during important things, like running SUM Tuneup
& Retrospect.  The first machine this happened on was an SE/30 4/80
running System 6.0.5, Disinfectant 2.3, Gatekeeper & Gatekeeper Aid
(neither of which report any virus activity).  A few weeks later,
I had the same problems with a IIci running the same general setup.
On both machines, I ended up having to reformat the hard disk &
reinstall.  However, since I've had to reinstall most of the stuff
from earlier backups (I have original disks for the programs, but
data files & utilities are only on the backup disks), I'm worried this
is going to start all over again.  Does this sound like a problem
with the hard disks (both have 80 meg disks, and both machines were
ordered from Apple around the same time)?  Or is this some type
of virus or something that my virus programs aren't catching?  I'm
starting work on my dissertation, and I'd feel better if I didn't have
to keep worrying about the machines when I have other things to do.

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/29/90)

In article <90300.130914JEILOLA@MTUS5.BITNET> JEILOLA@MTUS5.BITNET (johndan johnson-eilola) writes:
>I've been having some strange (but similar) problems on two macs I use:
>At first, I have problems copying files from the hd to floppies (Finder
>gives an error message and skips the file).  Soon, double-clicking
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>icons hangs the machine (within a week or two of the copying problems);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>The machines also hang during important things, like running SUM Tuneup
>& Retrospect.  The first machine this happened on was an SE/30 4/80
>running System 6.0.5, Disinfectant 2.3, Gatekeeper & Gatekeeper Aid
>(neither of which report any virus activity).  A few weeks later,
>I had the same problems with a IIci running the same general setup.
>On both machines, I ended up having to reformat the hard disk &
>reinstall.  However, since I've had to reinstall most of the stuff
>from earlier backups (I have original disks for the programs, but
>data files & utilities are only on the backup disks), I'm worried this
>is going to start all over again.  Does this sound like a problem
>with the hard disks (both have 80 meg disks, and both machines were
>ordered from Apple around the same time)?  Or is this some type
>of virus or something that my virus programs aren't catching?  I'm
>starting work on my dissertation, and I'd feel better if I didn't have
>to keep worrying about the machines when I have other things to do.

Actually, it sounds more than likely that you have a corrupted file, probably
due to (1) bad disk media; (2) part of the file/application wasn't "moved"
correctly when using optimizing s/w.
Use hard disk utils to check for bad disk media, such as your own HD setup
s/w.  If this is the case, back up, then lock out bad sectors, and start again.
Else, simply replace bad applications and forget about it.  For documents,
start a habit of saving a copy onto a floppy (Just make sure you don't use a
floppy that is being constantly used everyday for over 2 years.  I've seen many
examples of this...) if the file fits.  Otherwise, if you have enough HD space,
create a folder just for backups of large documents.  It is less likely you'll
have both copies of the same doc copied onto some part of the drive that will
have eventually bad sectors.  If you are so unlucky, maybe you deserve it :)

I have had experience where occaionally I'll have an application on the IIci
at work would show the application is damaged on launching.  I've seen this
about twice now, I just scratch my head, put on a new copy, and act as if
nothing happened.  Hope you find the above useful.

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia		|	My address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au