[comp.sys.mac.system] Hard Disk Icons

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (10/29/90)

   I've gotten tired of looking at the boring icon representing my hard drive.
I've browsed through the desktop with Resedit but, apparently, that's not where
the icon is stored.  Can anyone please tell me how to copy a new icon resource
over the old one, or am I stuck with what Apple and Dolphin systems have given
me?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Jon Pace
7 months, and counting

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (10/29/90)

In article <Ab_wPwW00WB58GKUgy@andrew.cmu.edu> jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:

>   I've gotten tired of looking at the boring icon representing my hard drive.
>I've browsed through the desktop with Resedit but, apparently, that's not where
>the icon is stored.  Can anyone please tell me how to copy a new icon resource
>over the old one, or am I stuck with what Apple and Dolphin systems have given
>me?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Your best bet is to get a program such as IconMaster.  It lets you select
from tons of icons, to make your hard drive a new icon.  Plus, you can EDIT
and ADD your own icons, so if you don't like any that are there, then you
can make your own.

It is available at most fine BBS's and maybe even FTP sites, but if you
really want, I wouldn't mind posting it in comp.binaries.mac

>Jon Pace
>7 months, and counting

Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

trottiers@yvax.byu.edu (10/29/90)

JP>    I've gotten tired of looking at the boring icon representing my
JP> hard drive. I've browsed through the desktop with Resedit but,
JP> apparently, that's not where the icon is stored. Can anyone please
JP> tell me how to copy a new icon resource over the old one, or am I
JP> stuck with what Apple and Dolphin systems have given me? Thanks for
JP> your help in advance.

There is a CDEV called facade that lets you use any other icon for your hard
disk icon.  It is shareware or public domain, I'm not sure which.  If you
can't find it somewhere else, feel free to call my BBS and download it.

* Steve Trottier           * AOL:   STrottier            *
* Brigham Young University * Sysop, Mainly Macintosh BBS *
* trottiers@yvax.byu.edu   *        (801) 374-5438       *

nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Norman William Franke, III) (10/30/90)

The icon for a hard drive is not stored as a resource. Thus changing it isn't
really something to be done by users. The easiest way to get another icon is
to use Facade, a handy INIT which will let you give a different icon to each
disk you have (provided the names are different.) You can FTP it from sumex
or get it from one of the many file servers on campus.

:                                                          :
: Norman Franke, III                  nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu :
: Special Projects              Carnegie Mellon University :
: Macintosh Users Group, VP                 Pittsburgh, PA :
:..........................................................:
              "Why can't I get more quota?"

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/30/90)

In article <Ab_wPwW00WB58GKUgy@andrew.cmu.edu> jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:
>   I've gotten tired of looking at the boring icon representing my hard drive.
>[...]  Can anyone please tell me how to copy a new icon resource
>over the old one, or am I stuck with what Apple and Dolphin systems have given
>me?

Well, this has come up many times before. In short, the icon used for SCSI hard
drives is stored in the driver (on the boot blocks). To attempt to change this
directly could cause more trouble that it's worth. However, there are INITS
(ack!) that can provide a way out. There are many available on Info-Mac (Facade,
Boot Disk Icon, etc, etc). Try digging around there; you're likely to find
something that pleases you.

Oh, something else that just flitted through my memory here (damn static! ;-) )
regards Apple's HDSC setup program. I remember it being mentioned that if you
changed one of the icons in the program's resources, it would load a different
icon into the driver. I was never able to verify this, but apparently others
have done it.

Hope this helps.

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

gs2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Geoffrey F. Sauer) (10/30/90)

There's an INIT called Facade, which is supposed to be able to help. You
can design your own desktop icons, and it puts them on the desktop. It's
shareware I think, though it could be free. If you can't find a copy of
it around, send me back a note and I'll see if I've still got it around.
See ya.

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/30/90)

>The icon for a hard drive is not stored as a resource. Thus changing it isn't
>really something to be done by users. The easiest way to get another icon is
>to use Facade, a handy INIT which will let you give a different icon to each
>disk you have (provided the names are different.) You can FTP it from sumex
>or get it from one of the many file servers on campus.

I agree that Facade is definately the way to go, but there is an easy
solution without Facade, which is simply to modify the icon inside the
Hard Disk installer program, and simply update the driver, if the particular
program allows it. (most do).

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"