[comp.sys.mac.system] REJOICE, New bombs in 6.0.7

gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) (10/21/90)

The new system release (6.0.7) now uses phrases when it bombs
instead of obscure numbers.

You will be greeted with things like "Bus Error" and "Address Error"
but nevermore will you see "ID = 31"

It is a bit unfortunate that I have seen more than my share of
this new "feature" lately...

WiLLiam Moss

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (10/24/90)

In article <15565@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) writes:

>The new system release (6.0.7) now uses phrases when it bombs
>instead of obscure numbers.
>
>You will be greeted with things like "Bus Error" and "Address Error"
>but nevermore will you see "ID = 31"

Yeah, but unfortunately they made a few assumptions. For example
the "Line 1111 Trap error" is reported as "Co-processor not installed".
A few people are getting rather confused about this. I personally don't
see that it makes much difference.  If the program crashes, then it crashes.
There isn't much you can do about it.  And knowing that Word crashed
losing several hour of work because of a "Bus Error" isn't any more
comforting than knowing it crashed because of an ID=31 (or whatever).

>WiLLiam Moss

Tom
--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-2145

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/25/90)

In article <15565@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0831c@prism.gatech.EDU (William Moss) writes:

>The new system release (6.0.7) now uses phrases when it bombs
>instead of obscure numbers.
>
>You will be greeted with things like "Bus Error" and "Address Error"
>but nevermore will you see "ID = 31"

This actually irritates me.  It's fine to add the wording, that way
computer "novices" have some way of describing the error to technical
support. (Whatever that is...)  But I still want my error codes!

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (10/30/90)

In <40549@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, tj@cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) says,

"I personally don't see that [having the new messages for system
crashes in System 6.0.7] makes much difference. If the program
crashes, then it crashes."

I have to agree with this one. As I keep explaining to users who
ask me about them, those ID numbers stand for all sorts of arcane
things that can go wrong, that you really don't want to know about,
anyway.

Even speaking as a programmer, I have found very few of those
messages to be much use, diagnostically speaking. Most of the
problems with my programs tend to happen from faulty logic
making things run amuck until they fall over from random causes.

The one exception to this has been the "stack overflow" error.
When this happens, it usually means what it says, and there's
usually a simple cause.

Question: will the next release of MacsBug have all these
nice descriptive messages added to it...?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
You are in a maze of twisty little Word 4.0 dialog boxes, all different.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/30/90)

In article <2115.272d985a@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>Question: will the next release of MacsBug have all these
>nice descriptive messages added to it...?

  They already do.  All the 6.x releases have this feature.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (10/31/90)

In <9406@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins)
says that all the 6.x versions of MacsBug have descriptive messages
for system errors.

No they certainly do not!

What MacsBug *does* have is its own handlers for the hardware-generated
exceptions such as bus error, line-F exception and so on. It outputs
its own descriptive messages for these. But its handler for calls
to _SysError does little more than output the ID number for the rest.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+13:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.