[comp.sys.mac.system] Desktop Manager Limitations?

wkchan@athena.mit.edu (William K Chan) (11/02/90)

I have one more question about DM which I find kind of important:

   What is the largest folder (in number of files) that DM can handle
   efficiently.  I have many fonts (hundreds) that it would be convenient
   to keep all of them on my hard disk at the same time.  The actual
   suitcases number about 100, but the PostScript outline fonts consist
   of about 600 files.  I tried DM, but it takes forever to rebuild the
   partition that those 600 files are on.  Right now, they are in one
   big folder (the System Folder) making about 650 files.  Is there a
   maximum number of files I should keep in one folder.  If there is, what
   is a good way to solve my problem.

Thanks.  Please e-mail me or post to this group.

William Chan
wkchan@athena.mit.edu

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov1.162055.21850@athena.mit.edu> wkchan@athena.mit.edu (William K Chan) writes:

>I have one more question about DM which I find kind of important:
>
>   What is the largest folder (in number of files) that DM can handle
>   efficiently. ...
>   big folder (the System Folder) making about 650 files.  Is there a
>   maximum number of files I should keep in one folder.  If there is, what
>   is a good way to solve my problem.

The Desktop Manager shouldn't care how many files are in a folder.  The
only information it keeps is on each application.  The current Finder
(pre-7.0), however, does seem to freak out at folders with this many
files.  I assume that the new 7.0 Finder fixes that problem. Unless you
need to access these files regularly, there really is no reasnonable
limit to the number of files in a folder.  If you do need to access
them, there are numerous Finder replacement applications and desk
accessories that can deal with large folders.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of