[comp.sys.mac.system] 6.0.7 is scaring GateKeeper?

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/05/90)

I installed 6.0.7 on a Mac Plus here at work this morning. Now, a number
of applications are giving me warnings from GateKeeper when launched; they're
violating Res(System) with RsrcMapEntry(DRVR, 2). I installed 6.0.7 on my
SE/30 at home - no problems. My guess is that there's something new in the
printing software (since driver 2 seems to be for printing...) causing this
alert. My SE/30 doesn't do any printing, hence no warnings.

Anybody else come across this?

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (11/06/90)

> Anybody else come across this?

	I posted a warning to comp.sys.mac.announce a couple of days ago.
	If you did not receive it on your system, please investigate why!
	(and let me know about the results)

				---Werner

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/06/90)

In article <189@hedora.cs.utexas.edu>, werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> > Anybody else come across this?
>

> 	I posted a warning to comp.sys.mac.announce a couple of days ago.
> 	If you did not receive it on your system, please investigate why!
> 	(and let me know about the results)
>
> 				---Werner

Power failure in Holland.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
 "Now remember - and this is most important - you must think in Russian."

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/06/90)

> In article <189@hedora.cs.utexas.edu>, werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> > 	I posted a warning to comp.sys.mac.announce a couple of days ago.
> > 	If you did not receive it on your system, please investigate why!
> > 	(and let me know about the results)

Ok, I found the message just now. I think there was a couple of days'
delay due to a power failure at one of the distribution sites.

I saw a general article about GateKeeper and 6.0.7, but it didn't go into
details, and my machine at home (running MultiFinder, and hence apparently
unaffected...) is fine. The messages I was getting from the Mac Plus
here (violation of the printer driver) hadn't been mentioned before,
so I thought I'd better mention it.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth...

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
 "Now remember - and this is most important - you must think in Russian."

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (11/07/90)

For what it's worth...I have a Mac IIx (work) and Mac Plus (home) with
GateKeeper 1.1.1 and System 6.0.7 with no problems.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (11/07/90)

	it is my understanding that the GateKeeper problem only
	manifests itself when you run Finder and even then with certain
	applications only (in other words, if GateKeeper complains while
	you are running MultiFinder, you are probably encountering a virus,
	and you should treat the matter as such)

	Chris Johnson will post either an updated version of GateKeeper-Aid
	or some kind of announcement later this week ...