[comp.sys.mac.system] 6.0.7 bugs

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) (11/08/90)

Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:

1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!

Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.

This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.

2) Set Aside is gone.  Why would Apple remove a perfectly decent
feature with the utility that Set Aside had?  This was the one reason
that I upgraded to the new beta version of MultiFinder.

3) Sometimes the "save" or default buttons are not highlighted.
Sometimes they are.  Its strange.  Button highlighting comes and goes.
This indicates perhaps a problem with my particular system and
combination of inits but I tend to think its a problem with 6.0.7.

4) Crashes.  Something funny is going on with memory which causes the
machine to crash just a tad more than normal.  Nothing serious.  It's
just that I've had one or two crashes just "happen" for no particular
reason.

I guess in summary, the disk copy problem is the big baddy.  This
needs to be fixed.

Enjoy!

--
ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (11/09/90)

In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
>
>1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
>
>Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
>did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
>Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.
>
>This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.

  This wasn't terribly clear to me.  Do you mean that if you tried to copy
a bunch of files to the floppy, and you ran out of space in the middle of
the copy operation, Finder deletes the files that were successfully copied
before you ran out of disk space?
  If this is what you mean, then it's really not a bug, but a change in the
interpretation of "Cancel".  The word "cancel" officially means that the user
wishes to be returned to the state he was in before he started this operation.
Since those files weren't there before he started the copy, those files, by
this interpretation, shouldn't be there after the copy failed.  Perhaps the
name of the button should be changed to "Stop" and those files that were
successfully copied can be left.

>2) Set Aside is gone.  Why would Apple remove a perfectly decent
>feature with the utility that Set Aside had?  This was the one reason
>that I upgraded to the new beta version of MultiFinder.

  The Set Aside feature was only available in MultiFinder 6.1b7 and 6.1b9,
which came with SADE.  The version of MultiFinder under 6.0.7 is 6.1.7, or
just 6.1.  Either version is "newer" than the beta version you had, so the
Installer replaced the SADE MultiFinder you had with the 6.0.7 MultiFinder.
  Again, this isn't a bug, but how it's always worked.

>3) Sometimes the "save" or default buttons are not highlighted.
>Sometimes they are.  Its strange.  Button highlighting comes and goes.
>This indicates perhaps a problem with my particular system and
>combination of inits but I tend to think its a problem with 6.0.7.
>
>4) Crashes.  Something funny is going on with memory which causes the
>machine to crash just a tad more than normal.  Nothing serious.  It's
>just that I've had one or two crashes just "happen" for no particular
>reason.

  I haven't seen these two, so I can't say anything one way or another
about them.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (11/09/90)

In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
>4) Crashes.  Something funny is going on with memory which causes the
>machine to crash just a tad more than normal.  Nothing serious.  It's
>just that I've had one or two crashes just "happen" for no particular
>reason.

Might this be that you had run Heapfixer (or similar program) on your hard
disk sometime in the dim, dark past?  I believe installing a new system
always re-writes the boot blocks, so whatever twiddling you had done with
Heapfixer before the upgrade would be erased by the upgrade process itself
(not 6.0.7 in particular, but the installing of any version of the system).

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/09/90)

Several users have complained that once they install System 6.0.7,
the Set Aside feature of their beta MultiFinder (6.1b9 or 6.1b7) goes
away.

System 6.0.7 does not in any way interfere with Set Aside, to the best of
my knowledge.  What happens is this: pre-6.0.7 Installer scripts did not
install MultiFinder at all (you had to drag it from the distribution floppy
separately).  The 6.0.7 script handles MultiFinder like all other files it
installs, i.e. it replaces older files with its own version.  Since the beta
MultiFinders have modification dates earlier than the Set-Aside-less
MultiFinder on the 6.0.7 distribution diskette, the Installer replaces the
former with the latter.

If you want to keep Set Aside alive with System 6.0.7, make a backup of the
beta MultiFinder and drag it back into your System Folder after running the
Installer.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)

In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
>
>1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
>
>Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
>did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
>Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.
>
>This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.

According to the change history, the Finder was not changed.
What do you mean?  Clearly, if the disk is full, the copy could NOT be
performed-- so removing the target is just fine.

>2) Set Aside is gone.  Why would Apple remove a perfectly decent
>feature with the utility that Set Aside had?  This was the one reason
>that I upgraded to the new beta version of MultiFinder.
Notice that the Beta has a higher version number than the 6.0.7 release?
Set Aside isn't gone, it was never there.  I use 6.1b9 with 6.0.7.

>3) Sometimes the "save" or default buttons are not highlighted.
>Sometimes they are.  Its strange.  Button highlighting comes and goes.
>This indicates perhaps a problem with my particular system and
>combination of inits but I tend to think its a problem with 6.0.7.

Doesn't happen on my system.
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/09/90)

In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
>
>1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!

"Cancel" means "go back to the way it was before I started this
operation."  File copy SHOULD remove the files.

>Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
>did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
>Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.

Previous version of the System did it wrong.

>This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.

Obviously what you consider broken isn't what Apple considers
broken.  (Or myself, for that matter...)

>2) Set Aside is gone.  Why would Apple remove a perfectly decent
>feature with the utility that Set Aside had?  This was the one reason
>that I upgraded to the new beta version of MultiFinder.

Set aside was never there.  You probably installed a BETA mutifinder,
6.1b7 or 6.1b9.  System 6.0.x does not have a set aside feature.
(You'll have to wait for System 7.0)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/10/90)

From article <4642@husc6.harvard.edu>, by kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock):
> In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
>>Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
>>
>>1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>>file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>>are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>>Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>>complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>>The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
>
> "Cancel" means "go back to the way it was before I started this
> operation."  File copy SHOULD remove the files.

Not always.  Suppose "x" exists both on the hard disk and the floppy.
Now "cancel" should not delete the original "x" on the floppy.  If it
does, the floppy is not left in the state it was before the copy was
initiated.

The original description of the problem was not clear, but after some
pondering, it seemed to me that the scenario I described in the previous
paragraph might be the one to which jtn was objecting.  If so, his objection
is legitimate, at least in a sense.  One might say that the intent was to
overwrite the files anyway, but still, Cancel is Cancel, and "Apple says..."
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/10/90)

In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:

   >Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
   >
   >1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
   >file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
   >are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
   >Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
   >complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
   >The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
   >
   >Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
   >did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
   >Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.
   >
   >This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.

[Disclaimer: I could be wrong]

What this person seems to be talking about is that in earlier Finders,
if you drag THE CONTENTS OF A FLOPPY TO THE TRASH, but don't empty the
trash, try to copy a file larger than the floppy to the disk, the
finder wouldn't empty the trash on its own.  Now it does.

Assuming this is what you were talking about, John, the only solution
to this 'problem' would be if you would use Command-I (Get Info) on
the file to make sure it isn't larger than the floppy.

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (11/13/90)

In article <ALAND.90Nov9151157@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <1T$^K8|@ads.com> jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
>   >
>   >Well after using 6.0.7 for about an hour I see that I've already run into some problems/bugs.  Here's what I've found:
>   >
>   >1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>   >file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>   >are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>   >Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>   >complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>   >The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
>   >
>   >Previous versions of the system complained and canceld the copy but
>   >did NOT remove the target files unless there was clearly enough space.
>   >Now the files are removed whether or not the copy can be performed.
>   >
>   >This is clearly inexcusable.  If it isn't broken ... don't fix it.
>
>[Disclaimer: I could be wrong]
>
>What this person seems to be talking about is that in earlier Finders,
>if you drag THE CONTENTS OF A FLOPPY TO THE TRASH, but don't empty the
>trash, try to copy a file larger than the floppy to the disk, the
>finder wouldn't empty the trash on its own.  Now it does.

I tested for exactly this behavior on my machine (Mac II, 6.0.7, MF
6.1b9), and what you describe did not happen.  Using an 800K disk,
with 626K of stuff on it (which I had dropped into the trash), I tried
to copy PixelPaint Professional onto it (1200K).  The Finder protested
as usual, but the items on the floppy were still in the trash can.

>Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket

David Walton

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) (11/14/90)

>>1) Copy File is broken.  Put a floppy in the drive and try copying a
>>file from your hard disk to the floppy.  Make sure that the file you
>>are copying is LARGER than the capacity of the target floppy.
>>Dragging the file to the floppy starts the copy and the system
>>complains that the disk is full.  So far so good.  Click "Cancel."
>>The copy is terminated but the files(s) on the floppy are removed!!!
>
>"Cancel" means "go back to the way it was before I started this
>operation."  File copy SHOULD remove the files.

This probably needs explaining.  The file(s) being removed were those
already existing on the floppy disk.  Since the source file being
copied onto the disk were too large, they are not copied... HOWEVER...

the files already existing on the floppy which were to be overwritten
wre removed anyway.  Whether or not the copy is acutally performed.
Apple couldn't in their right minds design the system to do this so it
must be a bug.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to duplicate the problem lately so
it might have been a transitory problem.  Worth watching out for
though.

Hope that clears that up.

--
ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Yo... John!                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611
PROJECT:       The Conrail Locomotive/Harpsichord Fusion Program

milo@cartan.math.nd.edu (Greg Corson) (11/15/90)

Regarding other 6.0.7 bugs...I'm still having trouble with sound.  I fixed
a bunch of older sounds that had bad sound headers, but sound still seems to
break occasionally, it just stops and requires rebooting to fix.  Anyone
else run into this?

Also, I've heard there are a number of older INITs that don't work too good
under 6.0.7, anyone have a list?

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637