[comp.sys.mac.system] ROM Disk and other machines?

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (11/06/90)

In article <5932@munnari.oz.au>, iand@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian Robert DOBSON) writes:
> Has anybody out there started using the Classic ROM disk as the active system
> folder?  IMHO, it all sounds fairly useless - if the system folder is in ROM,

Is this ROM disk just in the Classic or in all the machines with the 512k ROMs?
And, BTW, which machines have those ROMs? Just the Classic, IIsi, and LC ?
And, if it is in the other machines, how does one go about accessing it as the
Startup "disk"?

Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (11/09/90)

I have personally tried to boot from the ROM disk on a Classic, a si and
a LC, and it only worked on the Classic.

The system is almost unusable, as there is only one font in the system.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (11/09/90)

In article <11074.2736d042@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
> Is this ROM disk just in the Classic or in all the machines with the
512k ROMs?

I have only seen it on the Classic, however an Apple insider has hinted
that it is just better hidden in the LC and the IIsi.
It's purpose is simply to boot the machine for use as a diskless
workstation, then switch to a System (7.0 or higher) on an AppleShare
server.  AppleShare 3.0 (or whatever it's going to be called) is supposed
to provide good support for that.  The local diskette drive, if present,
will be available for data files, without a need for disk swapping, and
you can have dozens of fonts available, as many as are installed on the
server.
I think this really is an excellent idea for teaching labs, etc. This will
make it much easier to guarantee that all Macs use the same configuration.
I hope there will be a mechanism that a network administrator can
optionally set to prevent any applications to be run from or copied to or
from a local diskette. This would help prevent the spreading of viruses
and with enforcement of copyright laws.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.032405.13315@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
>In article <11074.2736d042@amherst.bitnet> ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:
>> Is this ROM disk just in the Classic or in all the machines with the
>512k ROMs?
>
>I have only seen it on the Classic, however an Apple insider has hinted
>that it is just better hidden in the LC and the IIsi.

That seems unlikely, since the LC and the IIsi need the extra ROM for things
like Color Quickdraw, right?

>It's purpose is simply to boot the machine for use as a diskless
>workstation, then switch to a System (7.0 or higher) on an AppleShare
>server.  AppleShare 3.0 (or whatever it's going to be called) is supposed
>to provide good support for that.  The local diskette drive, if present,
>will be available for data files, without a need for disk swapping, and
>you can have dozens of fonts available, as many as are installed on the
>server.

Hmm, I wonder if there's some PRAM or something for AppleShare Prep info.

>I think this really is an excellent idea for teaching labs, etc. This will
>make it much easier to guarantee that all Macs use the same configuration.

Yep.  Right now, I'm trying VolumeImage, which makes sure that each hard
disk is an exact image of a partition on the file server.  Sometimes it
runs into problems, but when it works it's great.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine how slow it would be to have a lab
full of Classics running diskless over LocalTalk (or PhoneNet or whatever).
Perhaps with some extra RAM and a healthy RAM cache...

>I hope there will be a mechanism that a network administrator can
>optionally set to prevent any applications to be run from or copied to or
>from a local diskette. This would help prevent the spreading of viruses
>and with enforcement of copyright laws.

Using LaunchBreak, one can enforce licensing agreements while still allowing
free copying of the software (the copies are no good outside the lab) and
running of the software from floppies, hard disks, or file servers.

With VolumeImage, a one-step operation automatically restores any modified
files with clean copies, and optionally closes opened folders and deletes
superfluous files (or moves them to a lost&found folder).  I just make
system disks with VolumeImage as the startup application, and lab attendants
are instructed to just restart with these disks whenever problems occur
that may be due to missing or misplaced files, viruses, etc.  I've had
a few problems with it, though, especially when trying to restore multiple
machines at the same time.  It also seems to want to replace a lot of files
that probably don't need to be replaced, but when there aren't many to
be replaced it works very quickly.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.044036.7385@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>Come to think of it, I can't imagine how slow it would be to have a lab
>full of Classics running diskless over LocalTalk (or PhoneNet or whatever).
>Perhaps with some extra RAM and a healthy RAM cache...

Yes, I've often thought about the time it takes to set up a roomfull
of Macs over Appletalk.  One thing we tried a few years ago was to
provide each with a floppy configured to set up a ramdisk upon
startup, and then copy various programs and files over from a server.
This worked reasonably well, but was slow when every student in the
room was simultaneously trying to copy the same stuff over the net.

But it would seem that an Appletalk broadcast mode would solve the
problem in such a situation.  Normally, a packet is sent from one
sender to one receiver, and is ignored by all other nodes.  I see no
hardware reason why several stations couldn't simultaneously receive
the same packets.  There would be problems of sychronization in
getting started, but in principle you ought to be able to boot all the
machines at once this way.  However, I don't think Appletalk software
offers this sort of broadcast mode; am I right?

John E. Doner	       | "The beginner...should not be discouraged if...he
Mathematics, UCSB      | finds that he does not have the prerequisites for
Santa Barbara, CA 93106| reading the prerequisites."
doner@henri.ucsb.edu   |      --Paul Halmos, Measure Theory

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (11/10/90)

Kanefsky) writes:
> Come to think of it, I can't imagine how slow it would be to have a lab
> full of Classics running diskless over LocalTalk (or PhoneNet or
whatever).
> Perhaps with some extra RAM and a healthy RAM cache...

Many schools really are on a shoestring budget and willing to sacrifice
performance for having the basic capability at all. I know of a couple of
labs that boot off a floppy, but run all their applications off the server.

Once an application is running, little access is made to the System
Folder. If you select your applications carefully, you can get pretty
decent performance even with some 20 machines off a single AppleShare
server. WriteNow, for example, preforms admirably in such situations. Such
environments and low end machines were one of the prime considerations in
its development. It also happens to be very easy to learn and to offer
everything that is needed for standard business correspondence as well as
for writing a dissertation. It's feature list may not be as long as that
of some other word processors, but almost all of its features are truly
useful and not just gimmicks of little practical value. You get a lot of
bang for the buck, not only in terms of software costs but also in terms
of what you have to spend for hardware to make good use of it.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (11/10/90)

>It's purpose is simply to boot the machine for use as a diskless
>workstation, then switch to a System (7.0 or higher) on an AppleShare
>server.  AppleShare 3.0 (or whatever it's going to be called) is supposed
>to provide good support for that.

It's kind of ironic that the current AppleShare REFUSES to switch-launch
to a network volume.  I do wish sometimes that Apple wasn't so very interested
in protecting us from ourselves.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.190042.28795@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
> It's kind of ironic that the current AppleShare REFUSES to switch-launch
> to a network volume.  I do wish sometimes that Apple wasn't so very
> interested in protecting us from ourselves.

Nonsense - Apple is trying to protect itself from you (us).  :-)

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (11/10/90)

Some questions about the ROM disk:

1. Is there any way that you can get it to execute just a single init
(well where would you put it?) like INITshare to pull over inits

2. Does anybody have a use for it in this mode?

3. Why do they put in macsbug as one of the files?

4. Are there any other short-cuts (that may make it useable) that Apple
haven't yet documented.

and finaly

In article <1990Nov8.200002.22937@wuarchive.wustl.edu>,
hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) says:

>I have personally tried to boot from the ROM disk on a Classic, a si and
>a LC, and it only worked on the Classic.
>
>The system is almost unusable, as there is only one font in the system.

Don't you need a minimum of 3 fonts for a system (Chicago 12, Geneva 9 and 12)?
or do they just put in Chicago 12?

Hmmm, the question is WHY? Whats it for?

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk  -or-  kgp@cxa.dl.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | There is now a *Twin Peaks* email discussion list for
Liverpool L69 3BX      | UK Peak Freaks. Mail me for details ....

chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Chapman) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.163823.29938@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.044036.7385@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve
>Kanefsky) writes:
>> Come to think of it, I can't imagine how slow it would be to have a lab
>> full of Classics running diskless over LocalTalk (or PhoneNet or
>whatever).
>> Perhaps with some extra RAM and a healthy RAM cache...
>
>Many schools really are on a shoestring budget and willing to sacrifice
>performance for having the basic capability at all. I know of a couple of
>labs that boot off a floppy, but run all their applications off the server.

  Here at the Dal UCIS Computer Centre (or whatever it's called), they have
Mac Pluses set up so that they boot from an internal floppy and then run
from the server like that. The network is MacJanet and it is guaranteed to
drive you bezerk before you can get anything done on the machines. I have
never used AppleShare, so I can't comment on it but if you want an idea of
how slow I'm talking, think of trying to connect to a server over a modem
(maybe a bit of an exaggeration but the setup makes floppies look speedy).

>Once an application is running, little access is made to the System
>Folder. If you select your applications carefully, you can get pretty
>decent performance even with some 20 machines off a single AppleShare
>server. WriteNow, for example, preforms admirably in such situations.

  Ever tried to run PageMaker? I'm serious, they've got that on the
network! It literally takes 5 minutes to load. WriteNow's a lot better,
but Macintosh programs usually only load a part of themselves when you
start up, so there's a big delay when you click on anything, pull down
a menu, etc etc. Remember, there's 20 other people competing for the
network, as well as several people printing things over it as well.

> [nice things said of WriteNow]

>Wolfgang N. Naegeli
>Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
>Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
>QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
>Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

  Although I suppose MacJanet is better than nothing, I am currently
confined to using the MS-DOS computers in the next room. Much though I
would like to use the Macs, they're just too slooow. A friend of mine who
uses an Amiga got an unfairly bad impression of Macintoshes after he spent a
good afternoon trying to get something productive out of them.

Just throwing in my 2 cents' worth (about 1.6 cents U.S. :)

- Paul
--
-= Paul Chapman -=- chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca -=- pc@ac.dal.ca (BitNet) =-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Put Humourous Quote of Your Choice Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/12/90)

Appletalk certainly does implement a broadcast mode. the destination node,
I believe, is set to 255 on the packet.It is supported at the ATP level,
and who knows if any existing software implements it.

-JT

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.012533.8672@cs.dal.ca>, chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Chapman) writes:
|> In article <1990Nov9.163823.29938@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
|> >whatever).
|> >
|> >Many schools really are on a shoestring budget and willing to sacrifice
|> >performance for having the basic capability at all. I know of a couple of
|> >labs that boot off a floppy, but run all their applications off the server.
[Sluggish performance of MacJanet]
|> >Once an application is running, little access is made to the System
|> >Folder. If you select your applications carefully, you can get pretty
|> >decent performance even with some 20 machines off a single AppleShare
|> >server. WriteNow, for example, preforms admirably in such situations.
[More sluggish performance of MacJanet]
|>   Although I suppose MacJanet is better than nothing, I am currently
|> confined to using the MS-DOS computers in the next room. Much though I
|> would like to use the Macs, they're just too slooow. A friend of mine who
|> uses an Amiga got an unfairly bad impression of Macintoshes after he spent a
|> good afternoon trying to get something productive out of them.
My experience of running off a server (both MacServe and later AppleShare) is
you absolutely have to have plenty of RAM and big RAM caches to get respectable
performance. The caches need to be on the user machines; more RAM on the server
doesn't help nearly as much. The exact size of cache needed depends on your
application. If you have things carefully set up, the performance should come
close to local diskette (I haven't tried ethernet; if you can afford this,
you can probably also afford local hard disks). I don't know how your MacJanet
machines are configured. I suggest you look in the Control Panel and see if
you can bump the RAM cache up a bit.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca (Paul Chapman) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.194615.15478@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:

[lots of old quotes]

>My experience of running off a server (both MacServe and later AppleShare) is
>you absolutely have to have plenty of RAM and big RAM caches to get respectable
>performance. The caches need to be on the user machines; more RAM on the server
>doesn't help nearly as much. The exact size of cache needed depends on your
>application. If you have things carefully set up, the performance should come
>close to local diskette (I haven't tried ethernet; if you can afford this,
>you can probably also afford local hard disks). I don't know how your MacJanet
>machines are configured. I suggest you look in the Control Panel and see if
>you can bump the RAM cache up a bit.

  Of course, the mandarins at the UCIS computer centre decided that the
Control Panel would be just too dangerous for mere mortals to handle, so
it's not on the boot disks. Unfortunately, the boot disks are permanently
confined to the internal drive by means of a piece of paper stuck over the
slot. I am going to complain loudly to them though. The other problem is that
these computers only have 1 meg, so it'll probably start squeezing the
application area if the cache is too big.
  Over the summer, I set up a network of computers in Physics which had
their own hard drives. I almost can't believe how fantastically much
better they are than the ones run by UCIS (and I own a Mac!). They don't
have the right software for what I need though, and they also don't connect
to the Sun 4 that I'm writing this on. Oh, well. Thanks for the info, tho'.

- Paul

--
-= Paul Chapman -=- chapman@ug.cs.dal.ca -=- pc@ac.dal.ca (BitNet) =-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Put Humourous Quote of Your Choice Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/12/90)

Re: running diskless over appletalk

We a labs here full of Appletalked Mac Plus 1Mb machines, that run
with RAM DISKs to get things done.  Insert system disk into floppy,
boot, copy system disk to RAM disk, insert user disk into floppy, get
real work done.

What a pain it is to have on ~300-500K for your user program.

To run without the RAM disk would be a great boon.

So

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov11.181457.24416@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:
>Appletalk certainly does implement a broadcast mode. the destination node,
>I believe, is set to 255 on the packet.It is supported at the ATP level,
>and who knows if any existing software implements it.

I have used appletalk broadcasts on the DDP level and it does work, if
you don't mind a few problems. The first problem is that every machine
has to have the DDP listener registered to the same socket. Normally
sockets are allocated dynamically, so there is no way to guarantee that
every machine has the same socket. The solution to this is to pick a
socket from the experimental socket number range and hope that someone
else is not already using it.

The other problem is that broadcasts do not seem to be able to cross
physical bridges. If you have one machine on the other side of a
Kinetics fastpath and the others on the other, broadcast packets will
not be able to cross. There might be a way to fix this, but I can't
remember the specifics well enough to be able to know for sure.

Bottom line: unless you are writing a game or you are at Apple writing
system software, I don't recommend using using broadcasts.

What do broadcasts have to do with ROMdisks?

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov9.044036.7385@cs.umn.edu>, kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
> In article <1990Nov9.032405.13315@cs.utk.edu> wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) writes:
[with reference to the ROM disk stuff that's built into the Classic...]
>>It's purpose is simply to boot the machine for use as a diskless
>>workstation, then switch to a System (7.0 or higher) on an AppleShare
>>server.  AppleShare 3.0 (or whatever it's going to be called) is supposed
>>to provide good support for that.  The local diskette drive, if present,
>>will be available for data files, without a need for disk swapping, and
>>you can have dozens of fonts available, as many as are installed on the
>>server.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if there's some PRAM or something for AppleShare Prep info.

Yes, that's what appears to happen.  I had a Classic for a couple of days that
a friend of mine had bought - and I read about the ROM disk stuff and so tried
it out.  The files that are in the system folder include the Appleshare and
Appleshare prep ones so I tried logging in to a server and getting it to save
my name and password.  The next time I started the Classic up (having set the
startup disk to be the ROM one), it logged into the server for me!!

Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "This message contains wit, sophistication, class,
(UK) 051-794-3689       style, and 3 other words I don't understand as well..."