[comp.sys.mac.system] ResEdit crashes

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (11/14/90)

I have heard that the MENU editing crashes in ResEdit 2.0b2 are caused by
damaged ResEdit Prefs files.  Try trashing the Prefs file.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.043023.8919@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) writes:

>I have heard that the MENU editing crashes in ResEdit 2.0b2 are caused by
>damaged ResEdit Prefs files.  Try trashing the Prefs file.

I don't know if this is what caused the problem for everyone else, but it
appeared to be so for me.  I trashed the prefs file, and had no problems
at all.  Thanks for the tip.

>  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.183023.11729@midway.uchicago.edu>, dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:
> In article <1990Nov14.043023.8919@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) writes:
>>
>>I have heard that the MENU editing crashes in ResEdit 2.0b2 are caused by
>>damaged ResEdit Prefs files.  Try trashing the Prefs file.
>
> I don't know if this is what caused the problem for everyone else, but it
> appeared to be so for me.  I trashed the prefs file, and had no problems
> at all.  Thanks for the tip.

I tried this and discovered that the very first MENU that I edit opens up fine
- no problems, then the next one (or even the same one again) will cause a
crash.  If I then trash *that* prefs file the same thing happens again... :-(
I'm not using any out-of-the-ordinary inits, so who's the culprit?

Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
Liverpool  L69  3BX    "This message contains wit, sophistication, class,
(UK) 051-794-3689       style, and 3 other words I don't understand as well..."