[comp.sys.mac.system] Help modifying Finder to kill "Erase Disk" option

butzer@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) (11/17/90)

I'd like to protect a couple hard drives from the "Erase Disk" option
under the Special menu.  Does anyone know what resource I should change,
or is there a customization program that will let me remove this option
from the menus?

Thanks in advance.

--Dan

--
       Dan Butzer          || butzer@cis.ohio-state.edu
IICF/CIS Hardware Support  || voice: 614-292-7350  fax: 614-292-9021

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/17/90)

In article <86003@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, butzer@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) writes:
> I'd like to protect a couple hard drives from the "Erase Disk" option
> under the Special menu.  Does anyone know what resource I should change,
> or is there a customization program that will let me remove this option
> from the menus?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Dan

I haven't actually done this specifically, but off the cuff, I would suggest
modifying the MENU resource of the Finder.  You know the gray lines that
seperate items in the many menus?  They aren't 'registered' by the software
when someone selectes them.  For that matter, ANYTHING "grayed" is ignored.  Go
in with the program ResEdit and open the Finder.  Open the MENU resource and
the, what is it, Special? menu list?  With the new version of ResEdit you can
simply click a checkbox and it's disabled (grayed).  Otherwise (in case the
Finder automatically re-enables it), you might be able to convert the 'Erase
Disk' item to a seperator line.  Again, with the new ResEdit, this is simply a
matter of clicking on a button.
Save your changes, but, remember, always work on a COPY of the Finder.

john calhoun