[comp.sys.mac.system] Does MacsBug 6.1 work on any IIfx?

huff@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (11/17/90)

Does anyone know if MacsBug 6.1 works on an off the shelf
Mac IIfx?  It doesn't work on the one in this lab, with
two unusual NuBus boards.  Pressing the reset key (which
DOES get you to the ROM debugger if MacsBug is absent) just
leaves a hung system.  If I need a newer MacsBug, where can
I get it???  The Fall 1990 APDAlog lists 6.1 as current.
I can't find any MacsBug on APPLE.COM.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.003630.1@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu> huff@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu writes:
>Does anyone know if MacsBug 6.1 works on an off the shelf
>Mac IIfx?  It doesn't work on the one in this lab, with
>two unusual NuBus boards.  Pressing the reset key (which
>DOES get you to the ROM debugger if MacsBug is absent) just
>leaves a hung system.  If I need a newer MacsBug, where can
>I get it???  The Fall 1990 APDAlog lists 6.1 as current.
>I can't find any MacsBug on APPLE.COM.

I wont pretend to understand how Apple did this:

You need 6.2?? for a MacIIfx where the first ? is a letter indicating
development level, and the second ? is a number indicating something.

My MacIIsi *requires* Macsbug 6.2b1 or newer. I had a couple of 6.2
Macsbugs before I got my IIsi, an 'a' level and a 'd' level.  When
I got my IIsi and the interrupt key didn't work I searched my archive
and read the README's on the ones I had. Neither of the ones I had worked
for me, but one of them stated in the README "required for MacIIfx".

All Registered Developers have access to the Macsbug 6.2??, but
unfortunately program writer who are not Registered Developers
have no "Official" way to get it.

I feel Apple has fallen behind badly on this one. ADPA doesn't
have a product that people with released machines NEED! And unlike
the newly released IIsi, the IIfx has been around a while.

I managed to scrounge up a copy of 6.2b1, so I have an interrupt
key again. Hardly "Official". Possibly "illegal". But it
gave me back an ability my manual says is there.

Apple really fell behind on this. I'm not a Registered Developer, yet
I have Think C and am attempting to write programs. Without a way to
break to the debugger I can end up in real deap sh*t! Even as a mere
user, while I was finding out which of my tried and true B&W utilities
couldn't work in Color or 32bit Quickdraw Color, I found myself in
situations where Macsbug availability would have been nicer than 'RESET'.

Why can't they ship the current version of Macsbug with their machines.
Back when Macsbug took 22k away from 128k Macs, it might have mattered.
But now, when people with 5 Meg MacIIs run into problems because it
isn't available, it's a different story. Why don't they put it on
the additions disk, like they do Map and MacroMaker?

Or at least make sure the version needed is available from ADPA when their
manual states you can get it from ADPA.

jim
--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud