[comp.sys.mac.system] Backup via AppleTalk

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/18/90)

  Sorry if this belonged in Hardware, but I thought about it and chose
c.s.m.s.

  How reasonable is it to back up a hard disk over a LocalTalk network,
using PSN, TOPS, or, in our case, Apple FileShare (from System 7.0b1)?

  We wish to use a tape drive and Retrospect to do the backup, but I was
wondering whether LocalTalk produces completely unreasonably slow (>8 hours)
results for a 40 MB hard disk.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

Bruce.Hoult@actrix.co.nz (Bruce Hoult) (11/19/90)

In article <9683@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>   We wish to use a tape drive and Retrospect to do the backup, but I was
> wondering whether LocalTalk produces completely unreasonably slow (>8 hours)
> results for a 40 MB hard disk.
>
> -- Mark Wilkins

No sweat.  We backup our 210 meg AppleShare server over LocalTalk and it takes
a lot less than 8 hours.  I'm not sure exactly how long, but I think we get
somewhere between a meg and 1.5 megs a minute -- i.e. your 40 meg disk would
probably take 25 to 40 minutes to backup.

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (11/19/90)

re:  is it reasonable to backup 40MB disk over net using retrospect?

works fine.  no problem.
I use retrospect to back up my 40MB over phonenet (an appletalk implementation
) through gatorbox to unix server.  (gatorbox is the slow part of this).
Full backup of 30MB might take 1.5 or 2 hrs...but typical backup is only
a few minutes, since retropsect is incremental.
Besides, i've used the retrospect feature to let it backup unattended in
the middle of the night...so who cares?  :)
(btw -- i have compression on, which slows it, but i don't know how much)
-Drew Wade
drew@objy.com