[comp.sys.mac.system] Two system folders on same disk

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/17/90)

In article, <4133@idunno.Princeton.EDU>  writes, in reply to
<39636@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan
Ghosh) writes:
>.... Is it o.k. to keep
>two system folders on the hard disk, as long as only one of them has the
>name "System Folder," so that only that one is the "blessed" folder? Then if

>I rename the system folder to something else, and rename the other folder to

>System Folder, will it become blessed?
>Or is there a better way to do it?
>Or is this a *bad* thing to do?

- Open the English system folder, create an empty folder, and put the
Finder into it.

- Open the Thai system folder, and drag its Finder out of the folder
you hid it in before.
******end quotes*******

Can't you just move the finder between the folders?  That would seem to be the
way to do it - rather than have 2 finders and shuffle them into/out of olders.
Just a thought.

biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) (11/17/90)

A friend of mine wants to be able to switch between two different versions
of the system on her Mac+, one is a U.S. version, the other a Thai version.
My initial reply to her was, no,no,no, you must never have more than one
system folder on the same disk.

On second thought, I wonder if this is too restrictive. Is it o.k. to keep
two system folders on the hard disk, as long as only one of them has the
name "System Folder," so that only that one is the "blessed" folder? Then if
I rename the system folder to something else, and rename the other folder to
System Folder, will it become blessed?

Then I could picture the following:
Start up the Mac with the current system folder, let's say the U.S. version.

Decide that I really want to use the Thai version, so I rename the system
folder to Other System, rename the Thai version to System Folder, and reboot.

Then will the computer use the Thai system folder?

Or is there a better way to do it?
Or is this a *bad* thing to do?

Naturally, I will be eternally grateful for your responses, etc., etc.!

Biswa Ghosh
550 Cory Hall				arpa: biswa@janus.berkeley.edu
U.C. Berkeley				uucp: ...ucbvax!janus!biswa
Berkeley, CA 94720			tel:  (415) 642-0395

anders@flint (Anders Wallgren) (11/17/90)

The name of the system folder is irrelevant - it is the fact that it
is blessed that matters.  Rename your system folder and it will still
work.  I believe there are some utilities out there (Blesser?) that
will let you specify which folder is your system folder.  I prefer the
trick of tracking the finder out of the system folder to 'unbless' it.
The few times I've done this it seems to have worked.

anders

bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (11/17/90)

In article <39636@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> biswa@galileo.berkeley.edu (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) writes:
>.... Is it o.k. to keep
>two system folders on the hard disk, as long as only one of them has the
>name "System Folder," so that only that one is the "blessed" folder? Then if
>I rename the system folder to something else, and rename the other folder to
>System Folder, will it become blessed?
>Or is there a better way to do it?
>Or is this a *bad* thing to do?

This is a bad way to do it, for the sole reason that it won't work. ;)
The Macintosh doesn't usually care what your System Folder is named.

The trick to using two (or more!) System Folders on a single disk is
that you have to make the computer think that one of them isn't a
valid System Folder.  The way I do this is to create a new folder
(which I usually call `Finderfolder'), and drag the Finder of the
unwanted System Folder into it.  As long as the Macintosh doesn't see
the System and the Finder files in the same level of the same folder,
it won't bless that folder.

So, in short, to switch from the English system to the Thai system,
here's what you would do:

- Open the English system folder, create an empty folder, and put the
Finder into it.

- Open the Thai system folder, and drag its Finder out of the folder
you hid it in before.

That should work.  If by some chance the System Folder isn't `blessed'
in the transition (that is, if it doesn't have the Macintosh icon on
it), you'll have to move the Finder out onto the desktop, close the
System Folder, and drag the Finder back onto the folder's icon.

Good luck!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/18/90)

In article <4133@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

>The trick to using two (or more!) System Folders on a single disk is
>that you have to make the computer think that one of them isn't a
>valid System Folder.  The way I do this is to create a new folder
>(which I usually call `Finderfolder'), and drag the Finder of the
>unwanted System Folder into it.  As long as the Macintosh doesn't see
>the System and the Finder files in the same level of the same folder,
>it won't bless that folder.

I do it a little differently, which probably just yeilds the same results...
but this is what Apple recommended so here is how I do it:

To switch folders:
------------------

1) Remove the current System file from it's system folder (name of the system
   folder doesn't matter) and move it somewhere else onto the hard disk.
   I keep a folder for myself called OldSystem.

2) Take the System of the one which you want to "bless" and also remove it
   from it's system folder.

3) Now drag that system file (the one you want to bless) back into it's
   appropriate system folder. This will bless it.

4) And finally you can put the system file in the temporary folder back into
   its system folder, and it won't get blessed. (Actually, I usually just
   leave the old one in a temp folder because I dont trust myself... but
   it should work).

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.174407.23497@wpi.WPI.EDU>, macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
|> In article <4133@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
|>
|> >The trick to using two (or more!) System Folders on a single disk is
|> >that you have to make the computer think that one of them isn't a
|> >valid System Folder.  The way I do this is to create a new folder
|> >(which I usually call `Finderfolder'), and drag the Finder of the
|> >unwanted System Folder into it.  As long as the Macintosh doesn't see
|> >the System and the Finder files in the same level of the same folder,
|> >it won't bless that folder.
|>
|> I do it a little differently, which probably just yeilds the same results...
|> but this is what Apple recommended so here is how I do it:
[instructions deleted]
Isn't this a bit tedious/complicated for someone who just wants to be able
to occasionally switch systems? Another possibility - use disk partitioning
software, and put each system in a different partition, then use the
Control Panel to change the startup device to the other partion to switch
systems on the next reboot. I haven't tried this. Does anyone know if it
will work?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (11/18/90)

Regarding having two system folders on one hard drive, my preference is just
to use SCSI partitioning (I prefer silverlining by LaCie but there a
multitude of programes out there) to partition the drive so that each
partition has one system on it, then use Set Startup to choose the system
you want....

In article <1990Nov18.010558.2130@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:

>Isn't this a bit tedious/complicated for someone who just wants to be able
>to occasionally switch systems? Another possibility - use disk partitioning
>software, and put each system in a different partition, then use the
>Control Panel to change the startup device to the other partion to switch
>systems on the next reboot. I haven't tried this. Does anyone know if it
>will work?

Won't work with 'fake' partitioning software like that which comes with
SUM II.  Real partitions like those made by Silverlining may work, but I
haven't tried.

chou@cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) (11/18/90)

In article <3842@mindlink.UUCP> a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:

>Can't you just move the finder between the folders?  That would seem to be the
>way to do it - rather than have 2 finders and shuffle them into/out of olders.
>Just a thought.

Well, if you have file names in a foreign language (which I do
all the time, in several languages) then the file names won't
appear in those languages, I think.

Is there a universal finder which knows the language that a document
is in, so that it displays the filename in that language?

lagana@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (Antonio A Lagana) (11/18/90)

Another alternative to dragging finder and system files from one folder to
another is to use a program called Blesser, available through ftp at sumex.
This little program allows one to select any folder containing system files
in it and then restarting with that system folder "blessed".  The folders can
have any name: i.e. Thai Folder, Japanese Folder, Small System, etc.  I use
this to swith between Japanese and English systems and found it to be very
hassle free.  Enjoy.

					Antonio Lagana
					CSE Grad Student
					University of Michigan

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.174407.23497@wpi.WPI.EDU> macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>In article <4133@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@dew.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>
>>The trick to using two (or more!) System Folders on a single disk is
>>that you have to make the computer think that one of them isn't a
>>valid System Folder.  The way I do this is to create a new folder
>>(which I usually call `Finderfolder'), and drag the Finder of the
>>unwanted System Folder into it.  As long as the Macintosh doesn't see
>>the System and the Finder files in the same level of the same folder,
>>it won't bless that folder.
>
>I do it a little differently, which probably just yeilds the same results...
>but this is what Apple recommended so here is how I do it:

I don't do this currently, but I did it in the past. There are a couple
of products out, ones called "Blesser", one was provided by Canon,
which allow you to select the "Blessed" folder. I used the Canon
one for months when I wanted to switch between an INIT rich environment
on a 512K Mac and an INIT poor environment so I could back up my disk.

I used the Canon one. They're intent was to let people switch from
American to Kanji environments. It's freeware. Anyone wants it. I'll
pull it from my archives.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik Fredriksson) (11/18/90)

Well,

I think System Switcher 1.1 programmed by Keisuke Hara is the best
sofar as Folder Blesser seems not to work any longer on 6.0.5
ScriptManager systems at least. It is unfortunately unclear to me if
this little gem is uploaded to Sumex or anywhere else but I think it
should be! I am willing to see if I can mail it to people who
specifically wants me to do so ;-)  But 'If I get swamped with requests
I will try to upload it to Sumex instead!'  I was convinced that it
was a free program and I was myself given it when I was in Japan this
summer so I think there should not be any problemn there.  If anyone
thinks differently please let me know, and if anyone knows if it is
available already for FTP please inform us about this!

I should say something more it does that Blesser never did! It lets
you switch startup volume if you have several SCSI-harddisks online
you can easily switch between them also without specifying this in the
cdev Startup and it is funny in the way that nomatter whatever other
system you specify it thinks you are switching to an 'English' system.
I have found that it works with 6.0.7 Japanese and Simplified Chinese,
Trad Chinese 6.0.6 and Arabic 6.0.5 and I guess it should work with
the Hebrew 6.0.5 to, if that is ready yet.

Just one small thing more.  Maby many of you are unaware of the fact
that with the appearing of the 6.0.5 and above Script Manager systems,
there is a great possibility of combining even the Chinese, Japanese
and Korean systems and to merge the resources into one system-folder
That would allow some of you ( who has this special reason for
'switching') to simply start using one system only. I should warn you
however that this eats a *lot* of RAM (at least 2,5 meg and if you are
gready as I am you can say goodbye to 4 - 4,5 meg...)

Just one more thing the switching between SCSI-volumes does not work
on a plus but I guess everyone has guessed that already as the
Startup-CDEV does not work either ;-/

Happy system Hacking

		mrfung

PS. I am in no position to send anyone system software in any form and
I am sorry but I will have to ignore any request for such I can post
more information about how you combine different scriptmanager-systems
if anyone is interested but you will have to get the Systems you want
to combine by yourself. I guess everyone is already waiting for the
next CD-Rom for Developer Tech Support. Anyone knows what the vol VI is
going to be called?

* Lars E Fredriksson,   |           Email: mrfung@nada.kth.se.      *
* Far Eastern Library   |       Telephone: Int + 46 8 666 43 94     *
* Box 163 58            |                                           *
* S-103 27 STOCKHOLM    |         or home: Int + 46 8 97 28 72      *
* SWEDEN                |   or home modem: Int + 46 8 46 15 60      *
* Be the first to support UNICODE in your neighbourhood kill ASCII  *
		DISCLAIMER ? WHAT DO YOU MEAN DISCLAIMER
			I DON'T EVEN KNOW HER!
(-: -sheesh just about everyone has a .sig file so why shouldn't I? :-)

mrfung@nada.kth.se (Lars-Erik Fredriksson) (11/18/90)

>Is there a universal finder which knows the language that a document
>is in, so that it displays the filename in that language?

It is supposed to be supported in the 'Finder that Finds' ;-) in
some 7.x version of the system as it is goung to use extended TextEdit
and understand about language id and styles so you will then be able to
display any language that you have a font for! Nice huh ;-?

But for the time being I think the best way is to decide what system one
isw most dependent on and if one needs an englishtalking Finder and is
still in need of filenames in lets say Chinese one could just specify
the font ID one wishes to use in the finders 'LAYO' resource with ResEd

Have fun

		mrfung

* Lars E Fredriksson,   |     Email:EUNET: mrfung@nada.kth.se.      *
* Far Eastern Library   |       Telephone: Int + 46 8 666 43 94     *
* Box 163 58            | or office modem: Int + 46 8 620 45 43     *
* S-103 27 STOCKHOLM    |         or home: Int + 46 8 97 28 72      *
* SWEDEN                |   or home modem: Int + 46 8 46 15 60      *
* Be the first to support UNICODE in your neighbourhood kill ASCII  *
        "I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of
that is -- 'Be what you would seem to be' -- or, if you'd like it put
more simply -- 'Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it
might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not
otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be
otherwise.'"

anjrs1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.042842.6857@eng.umd.edu>, russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> In article <1990Nov18.010558.2130@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>
>>Isn't this a bit tedious/complicated for someone who just wants to be able
>>to occasionally switch systems? Another possibility - use disk partitioning
>>software, and put each system in a different partition, then use the
>>Control Panel to change the startup device to the other partion to switch
>>systems on the next reboot. I haven't tried this. Does anyone know if it
>>will work?
>
> Won't work with 'fake' partitioning software like that which comes with
> SUM II.  Real partitions like those made by Silverlining may work, but I
> haven't tried.
> --
> Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>      .sig under construction, like the rest of this campus.

SilverLining is wonderful.  I have an 80meg and have it partitioned into several
partions.  On is for the Kids so they can use it without destroying my work.
It has a system on it and you can boot from it as well as any other volume with
a system on it.

vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew V Whalen) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.052002.21685@zip.eecs.umich.edu> lagana@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (Antonio A Lagana) writes:
>Another alternative to dragging finder and system files from one folder to
>another is to use a program called Blesser, available through ftp at sumex.
>This little program allows one to select any folder containing system files
>in it and then restarting with that system folder "blessed".  The folders can
>have any name: i.e. Thai Folder, Japanese Folder, Small System, etc.  I use
>this to swith between Japanese and English systems and found it to be very
>hassle free.  Enjoy.

The only problem with using Blesser is that is does NOT work when trying
to bless a system 7.0b1 folder.  I just keep systems in seperate partitions
or boot off floppy when using system 6.0.5.

................................................................................:  Matthew Whalen                : "This is the way, step inside"-Joy Division :
:  Internet: vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu : "Apple ][ forever!" - Apple Computer        :

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (11/19/90)

 vinnie@pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew V Whalen) writes:
> The only problem with using Blesser is that is does NOT work when trying
> to bless a system 7.0b1 folder.  I just keep systems in seperate
> partitions or boot off floppy when using system 6.0.5.

The reason Blesser does not work is that we changed the type of the System
file from ZSYS to zsys (for a number of reasons... one of which is to give
it the suitcase-style icon to show that you can open it up like other
suitcase files).

One thing you could do is make a copy of Blesser called 7.0Blesser.   Then
use ResEdit or FEdit to change the ZSYS to zsys.  Then you could run
Blesser to switch from 7.0 to 6.0, and run 7.0Blesser to switch from 6.0
to 7.0.

Hope this helps,

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (11/19/90)

You COULD use AUX which would allow you to have
two separate accounts on your same Mac.  One English, one Thai.
Of course you'd have to buy at least $600 worth of AUX and an additional
hard drive.

:-) :-) :-)
It was just a thought.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (11/20/90)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
|> [...]
|> Isn't this a bit tedious/complicated for someone who just wants to be
able
|> to occasionally switch systems? Another possibility - use disk
partitioning
|> software, and put each system in a different partition, then use the
|> Control Panel to change the startup device to the other partion to
switch
|> systems on the next reboot. I haven't tried this. Does anyone know if
it
|> will work?
|> --
|> Philip Machanick
|> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

Works like a champ! I have a large HD with many partitions. Two of them
are
"system" partitions and they are duplicates of each other - except for
the
Apple system files - one is 6.0.7 and the other is 6.0.5. In order to
switch
systems, all I have to do is use my partition DA to exchange the "mount
on
bootup" flags for the 2 partitions and reboot.

Of course it's a lot harder when you have limited disk space and can't
afford
the extra (in my case, 8) Meg.

Peter C

--