[comp.sys.mac.system] Print to disk??

ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{ Achilles }}}) (11/18/90)

Does anyone know how to print a postscrip file to disk.  The
reason for this is I need to download postscript files to my
school's account in order to print out on my school's laser printer.
I know window can do that, but is there a disk printer driver for
mac.   Please help!
thanx

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (11/20/90)

In article <14289@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ayeh@sdcc13.ucsd.edu ({{{ Achilles }}}) writes:
>Does anyone know how to print a postscrip file to disk.  The
>reason for this is I need to download postscript files to my
>school's account in order to print out on my school's laser printer.
>I know window can do that, but is there a disk printer driver for
>mac.   Please help!
>thanx

You can print a Postscript file to disk using <command>F while clicking OK
in the Laserwriter dialog box. The file created is without the Laserprep file,
if you want the Laserprep to be included, use <command>K instead.

The file will be saved as Postscript0 (up till 9 if Postscript0 already exists)
and can be found in: system folder or current folder or folder of application
itself.

To avoid scanning you 1Gb :-) disk, you can use the laserfix utility from
sumex. Look in pub/init/laser-fix-*.hqx   (* used to be 10, but I think
a newer version is available now)

Good luck!

 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/21/90)

The most definitive answer on how to print to disk (including how to
hack your laserwriter icon so it ALWAYS prints to disk, without your
having to do anything) is available through anonymous ftp here:

[sumex-aim.stanford.edu]
	info-mac/tips/generating-postscript.txt
	info-mac/tips/imagen-postscript.txt

Some people have a hard time printing postscript on their non-apple
laserprinter.  The second file tells you how to fix the laserprep
header ( no kluge "laserfix" or "prepfix" programs are necessary, just
a decent text editor).  Also, the these programs (laserfix, prepfix)
are rumored not to work with the 6.0 (color quickdraw) printing tools,
so you have no alternative but to make the changes suggested in
"imagen-postscript.txt" if you want to print dithered grey scales or
print color on a non-apple printer.

Thank god system 7.0 is rumored to fix this mess.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies