[comp.sys.mac.system] >8Meg Memory Before System 7

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (11/18/90)

I configured my office ci about 4 months ago with 4Meg memory chips -
4 of them. I did this in anticipation of System 7 coming "any day now...".
Clearly it would have been a win, but with System 7 slinking more and
more into the new year, I am not overlly happy to have 8meg of memory
just sitting in my machine.

Is there any thing that I can do (software hopefully) that will let
me use those extra 8 meg that my ci can see (the finder sees the
memory) but which i cannot use now?

	---jon---

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov17.185630.26232@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) writes:

>I configured my office ci about 4 months ago with 4Meg memory chips -
>4 of them. I did this in anticipation of System 7 coming "any day now...".
>Clearly it would have been a win, but with System 7 slinking more and
>more into the new year, I am not overlly happy to have 8meg of memory
>just sitting in my machine.
>
>Is there any thing that I can do (software hopefully) that will let
>me use those extra 8 meg that my ci can see (the finder sees the
>memory) but which i cannot use now?
>
>	---jon---

Have you considered installing A/UX?  Just kidding, but you WOULD be
using all the memory.

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (11/19/90)

    Is there any thing that I can do (software hopefully) that will let
    me use those extra 8 meg that my ci can see (the finder sees the
    memory) but which i cannot use now?
	    ---jon---

Connectix make a thing called Maxima.  It is supposed to "turn on" memory above
8 meg.  I just bought a cx into which I'm putting 16 meg. I got a discount on
Maxima from Micro Electronics Technologies Inc. (look in the back of MacWeek)
where I got my SIMM's from.

I haven't put my system together yet, so I can't say for sure that it works,
but it sounds good.  I've been using Virtual from Connectix with great
satisfaction.

Ken

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (11/19/90)

I _think_ (don't know) that the Maxima Software (by Connectix) will
let you access all of your memory. Don't go out and buy it unless
you ask them first though because I'm not absolutely, positively sure.

I don't have their phone number handy, but I would contact Connectix
(makers of Virtual and Maxima and stuff like that...all seeming to have
somethign to do with memory).

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (11/20/90)

I've been using 20mb and Maxima on my IIfx for about a week now, with
MPW, C++ and SADE/Macsbug running and I haven't had any problems.  I
must say that having all my precompiled header files on a ram disk
didn't speed things up as much as I hoped it would, though.

anders

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov17.185630.26232@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) writes:

> I configured my office ci about 4 months ago with 4Meg memory chips -
> 4 of them. I did this in anticipation of System 7 coming "any day now...".
> Clearly it would have been a win, but with System 7 slinking more and
> more into the new year, I am not overlly happy to have 8meg of memory
> just sitting in my machine.
>
> Is there any thing that I can do (software hopefully) that will let
> me use those extra 8 meg that my ci can see (the finder sees the
> memory) but which i cannot use now?
>
> 	---jon---

While we are talking about system 7.0 and memory, does anyone know
that if you have a Mac Plus or SE with 4 meg RAM and have some
miracle 68030 upgrade that WILL allow you to use virtual memory
will you be able to access even more memory (virtual) after
the first 4 Meg of physical memory.  That is I know you can have
only 4 Meg physical memory, max.  But will VM allow Plus and SE owners
to exceed this?

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov20.030228.19458@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> smisra@eos.ncsu.edu writes:
>While we are talking about system 7.0 and memory, does anyone know
>that if you have a Mac Plus or SE with 4 meg RAM and have some
>miracle 68030 upgrade that WILL allow you to use virtual memory
>will you be able to access even more memory (virtual) after
>the first 4 Meg of physical memory.  That is I know you can have
>only 4 Meg physical memory, max.  But will VM allow Plus and SE owners
>to exceed this?

  'ccordin' to the System 7 Beta notes, VM doesn't work with third party
030 upgrades for the Plus and SE...

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (11/26/90)

How much does a set of four 4Meg SIMMS cost anyway???

Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "