[comp.sys.mac.system] system 6.07 for which Mac?

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (11/26/90)

Is there some knowledgable person around who can tell me if there are
machines on which system 6.07 cannot be used? (Ok, 512 is clear ;-) It seems
that for the Plus 6.05 is the advised system, but is there any reason why
6.07 shouldn't work?

If 6.07 shouldn't be used on the Plus, does this mean that 6.05 is the latest
System that will be available on this machine? I think I saw a note somewhere
that System 7 ( ?-) ) can be run on a Plus or bigger (given enough memory; 2Mb?)

Help appreciated
 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/27/90)

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) writes:

>Is there some knowledgable person around who can tell me if there are
>machines on which system 6.07 cannot be used? (Ok, 512 is clear ;-) It seems
>that for the Plus 6.05 is the advised system, but is there any reason why
>6.07 shouldn't work?

I believe you can use 6.0.7 on the Plus.  I don't think it matters much...
6.0.7 might have a few bugs, but that is also true of 6.0.4.  I personally
don't see any reason to run System versions higher than 6.0.4 (which is
proven to be relatively stable) on a Plus unless you need something like
the sonic Finder capability which was introduced in the defunct 6.0.6.  Of
course, Apple might always release new OS versions with substantial
improvements which might change that approach (just like 6.0.3 and 6.0.4 did).

I'm always in favor of keeping everything up-to-date but the OS is so critical,
and Apple's updates often so buggy at first, that proceeding cautiously might
be the best choice.

>If 6.07 shouldn't be used on the Plus, does this mean that 6.05 is the latest
>System that will be available on this machine? I think I saw a note somewhere
>that System 7 ( ?-) ) can be run on a Plus or bigger (given enough memory; 2Mb?)

The Plus will run 7 without any modifications other than the addition of RAM
to 1MB machines.  The VM facility won't run (try Virtual).  According to Apple,
the unenhanced 7.0 System and Finder (MultiFinder will become part of System)
will occupy roughly 750kB out of the 2MB that Apple considers the minimal
requirement.

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (11/27/90)

In <1990Nov26.230912.26899@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:

>6.0.7 might have a few bugs, but that is also true of 6.0.4.  I personally
>don't see any reason to run System versions higher than 6.0.4 (which is
>proven to be relatively stable) on a Plus unless you need something like

  You need at least 6.05 to run HyperCard 2.0 .